Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boehner told Reid to 'Go F*&k Yourself'

Posted by   + Show Post

Fiscal cliff negotiations between House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) reportedly got heated last Friday.

According to Politico, several sources claimed to have overheard a verbal altercation between the two men in the White House lobby.

With no bipartisan agreement about the debt ceiling, spending cuts and tax increases in sight, Boehner reportedly pointed at Reid and said, "Go f**k yourself."

"What are you talking about?" Reid asked.

And Boehner again said, "Go f**k yourself."

The encounter occurred soon after Reid took to the Senate floor and argued that Boehner could have ended the fiscal cliff standoff by bringing up legislation passed by the Senate for a vote. Reid also accused Boehner of catering to members of his party rather than serving the country.

"The American people I don't think understand the House of Representatives is operating without the House of Representatives," Reid said. "It's being operated by a dictatorship of the speaker, not allowing the vast majority of the House of Representatives to get what they want."

Despite the name-calling and angry rhetoric, a deal on the fiscal cliff was approved by both houses of Congress on Jan. 1. The Senate passed the bill at 2 a.m. and the House followed suit 20 hours later.

LINK

Boehner must have gone to the Cheney school of workplace civility. I'm not fan of Reid but this is totally out of line. I've seen Republicans defending it but if a Dem did the same they would have a fit and call for his resignation. I remember when Kerry used the f word in a Rolling Stone interview and so many on the right were appalled about how unpresidential that was. The very same people cheered when Cheney told Leahy to eff himself on the floor of the Senate.

What do you think? Is this out of line or just co-workers venting? Or did Reid have it coming and Boehner was totally justified and in the right?

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Replies (41-50):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think it is tacky myself. It isn't anything new...Rahm Emmanuel had a vile mouth...I think we should be expecting all of them to clean it up.

I'm no fan of Rahm and I'm sick and tired of the people we elect to represent us, who get lots of perks, acting like spoiled teenagers and putting party over country.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Quoting smalltowngal:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting smalltowngal:

This doesn't really bother me and I rarely cuss. I feel like this is one of those topics that just distracts us from the real issues like we haven't come close to fixing our debt crisis. 

I cuss all the time but as an adult know there's times when it's inappropriate. I never swore at work or at any of my co-workers. I expect more from our reps. They used to be capable of disagreeing while maintaining some bit of respect and decency.

Quite honestly, I'm to the point they can cuss all they want if it means they'll actually do something. But now we're having a debate about if and how childish Boehner is instead of what still needs to be cut from the budget. It's all distraction as usual. 

The problem is they won't do anything.

There's plenty of talk about where the budget can be cut and changes that can be made. I'm not distracted at all and can entertain multiple thoughts at the same time.

IMO, this is a symptom of the bigger problem. Our reps don't respect each other, we the people or the institution they are part of. It's sad that we have come to this.

rosaleeandtwo
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Since they were in the lobby, not in session, so it doesn't bother me AS much.  And at least he didn't cry when he said it. :)

I dont even like Boehner, and I'm not a republican, but I feel like defending him lately.  His party is being taken over by tea partiers and extremists who refuse to meet in the middle, then throw HIM under the bus like its all his fault for being willing to at least SOMEWHAT compromise? It has to be extremely frustrating to see your party being torn apart, while at the same time trying to negotiate with your opposition.  This new republican party of now is NOT the republican party of Reagan or Dole. 

But I guess to hell with them.  They are going to destroy their party from within if they allow the extremism to continue.  They need to get their shit together.  We created congress and a multiple party system to promote checks and balances....not stalemates!

prommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Quoting Friday:

Quoting prommy:

Yup...and I bet people on the other side of the aisle never, ever use that kind of language.

I don't care what 'side' they are on, it's inappropriate and very childish. If a Dem told another member of Congress to eff himself I'd be just as disgusted and disappointed.

It's not even so much the language but the context. If he'd told dude to screw himself, I'd feel the same way.

Nice try at making this a partisan issue, it's not.

Sorry, it seemed partisan since you only pointed out that Boehner swore. Personally I don't get my knickers in a knot if someone swears. I swear too if I feel the situation calls for it

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I hate to break it to you, but unless you recently moved out of the United States, then he's your president, too.

Quoting gammie:

I think they all should " Go F$&k themselves" and take your President !!!

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Totally out of character for old Boner to shout incivilities. Now...if there had been a story about him crying and sobbing about how the GOP never gets its way, then I wouldn't have been surprised at all. LOL

TypeAndRun
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting TypeAndRun:

Go Boehner !
Thanks for saying what most Americans have been thinking about sinky Reid !

Sinky Reid?

Nope---Boehner was unprofessional and crude and I would say the same about Reid of he let loose with that word. NOBODY who wants to be taken seriously and respected should use that kind of language . It might be "cool" to talk that way if you are a barely literate teen ....but not if you are an adult who wants to be respected and make a difference.

In what world do YOU live in??

Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it bad i giggled a little? That's gonna make a great snl skit. Lol
jj4ij
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Saw earlier that the house re elected him as speaker.....  John Boehner that is. 

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting prommy:

Yup...and I bet people on the other side of the aisle never, ever use that kind of language.

I don't care what 'side' they are on, it's inappropriate and very childish. If a Dem told another member of Congress to eff himself I'd be just as disgusted and disappointed.

It's not even so much the language but the context. If he'd told dude to screw himself, I'd feel the same way.

Nice try at making this a partisan issue, it's not.

Sorry, it seemed partisan since you only pointed out that Boehner swore. Personally I don't get my knickers in a knot if someone swears. I swear too if I feel the situation calls for it

If I saw an article about any member of Congress telling another to eff off, I would post it and be disgusted by the childish behavior. Regardless of party.

It's not about swearing, I can cuss with the best of them, it's about telling someone to eff themselves. There's a difference.

Even here on CM, I can get away with swearing in a post or comment but not telling someone to eff themselves. It's not the same, context matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)