Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

6-Year-Old Boy Is Suspended for Pointing Fingers at Classmate Like a Gun - Do you think it's right to brand this 6-year-old for something so silly?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

6-Year-Old Boy Is Suspended for Pointing Fingers at Classmate Like a Gun

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 3, 2013 

fingers shape gunTalk about an over-reaction! A 6-year-old boy has been suspended from school for pointing his finger like a gun and saying "pow" to another student. The Maryland first grader is unlucky enough to have gotten caught up in the mass anxiety that's swept American school districts in the wake of the shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Let's just set aside the debate over kids and gun play for a second, shall we? Unfortunately, his school record isn't going to reflect the national distress at the exact moment of his little mishap. Instead we have a 6-year-old whose minor transgression will follow him for the rest of his school career. Is that really fair?

The child's family is fighting to have this little guy's suspension expunged from his record, and I can't help but agree with them. Because let's face it, this was pretty minor. This kid used his FINGERS in the shape of a gun! He didn't bring a real gun to school.

What's more, he's only 6. He's at an age when adult supervision is a must, when kids' brains are still so underdeveloped that something as simple as tying their own shoes is often a challenge. And we expect them to think out the repercussions of pointing their fingers at a pal right after a mass school shooting?

I don't think so.

We have put school administrators in a tough spot in America. We expect them to come down hard on kids who act up. We want to strike out bullying, end school violence. We mean well, but we're hurting our kids.

Six-year-olds are suspended for pointing their fingers. Six-year-olds are haunted forever by actions done when they were SIX!

It's as this 6-year-old's attorney pointed out to the Washington Post:

They took the worst possible interpretation of this little child’s actions, and five years from now, if he gets into a tussle, they’re going to look back and say, ‘This is one bad little kid.'

We need to strike a balance here. Can't we hold little kids accountable for their actions without forcing them to pay for being young and immature forever? Can't we hold off on the hardcore punishments, on marking the "permanent" record until they're old enough to actually understand what they're doing?

Do you think it's right to brand this 6-year-old for something so silly? Should transgressions for kids this young go on their record?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mitty18
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM

after reading this link, i agree with the suspension.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

ummmm

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/17844764/First_grader_suspended_for_pointing_finger_saying_pow

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Until guns are illegal, pretending guns can't be.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh good grief. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
He was suspended for violating a school rule. Its not like he was arrested. I hardly think this is a big deal. Pretending to shoot kids isn't allowed at the school, and he had been given warnings and chose to do it anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I think we are `terrorizing' ourselves with mass hysteria.  My kids play cops and robbers all the time -- with toy guns or their fingers. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Quoting mitty18:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

ummmm

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/17844764/First_grader_suspended_for_pointing_finger_saying_pow

Yup.

The school says the child pointed his finger at a female student in his class as if it were a gun and said "pow." The school says the child had been warned before about similar behavior, but chose to do it anyway.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

unless he can load his finger with bullets this is a crock. He should be told that is not nice and leave it alone.

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Oh good grief. 

We don't agree on very many things but this exactly how I feel about it as well. I mean come on, hes 6, he didn't bring a gun to school and as far as I can tell we still have free speech. Did I mention hes 6? This should be turned into a teachable moment and let go at that. 

The parents have every right to sue(and I don't say that very often either) because "threatens to shoot other students" should not be a line included on a 6 year olds record. 

The one day suspension is a joke btw...if the school really thought he was a danger they would expel him or have social services sent to the boys house. As far as I can tell neither happened. 

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting mitty18:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

ummmm

Yup.

The school says the child pointed his finger at a female student in his class as if it were a gun and said "pow." The school says the child had been warned before about similar behavior, but chose to do it anyway.

6 year olds have no real concept of death, this should be a teachable moment. If this happened at your house nobody would bat an eye. It would be a childish game that most kids play. I fail to see why its any different at school. 

I am all for protecting our children but we need to be careful that we don't become a police state in the process. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)