Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

DBL: Am I overreacting or should the dog go?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 104 Replies

We have a shitzu that is getting really old.  Not sure how old since he was a shelter save but I know it is old lol.

Anyway, I HATE this dog.  With a flaming passion.  Why?  Because he has ruined the house we live in.  I was so happy to move here, the house is great.  But the dog has house training issues that have never been resolved.  DH had the dog before we met and is very attached to it.  I can't stand it.  I have tried many different types of training but he always goes to the same spot at the front door when I am not looking.  If I am in the room with him he will look at me and scratch at the door.  If I am not, he just takes a piss.  

This is the area where he pisses all the time

We rent this place and this portion of the carpet will have to be replaced.  I have done all I can to save it.  

So what do you think?  DH says he won't forgive me if I make him get rid of the dog but at the same time he just pissed on the floor this morning while I was making breakfast for DD.  I can't take it anymore.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM
5 moms liked this

If the dog pees in the same area all the time can you get puppy pads and put them down where her goes.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
12 moms liked this

I would be crate training the dog. There is no way I would leave the dog unattended to roam te house when I wasn't there to nip the behaviors in the bud. If your husband is't onboard for crate training then I say give an ultimatum. Crate training or the dog goes. Dogs aren't really ever too old to learn how to behave. That's a myth.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

If the dog pees in the same area all the time can you get puppy pads and put them down where her goes.

I hate the wee wee pad. blech It's reinforcing crapping and urinating in the home.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

DH won't do crate training.  He does go into a small room though (shihtzus wont go in any place they consider their cave).  Needless to say he has scratched the hell out of the door frame.  Another thing we have to fix.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I would be crate training the dog. There is no way I would leave the dog unattended to roam te house when I wasn't there to nip the behaviors in the bud. If your husband is't onboard for crate training then I say give an ultimatum. Crate training or the dog goes. Dogs aren't really ever too old to learn how to behave. That's a myth.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried one of the pads? I know they are gross, but they will save your carpet. You could also try spraying the spot with something noxious and then taking the dog out every hour on the weekend. If you catch him starting to go, scold him and immediately take him outside and praise him if he uses the bathroom. But trying the pad may at least save your carpet.

Hafsa1
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Do you have the smaller shampoo'er (i.e. Little green machine)? Those work great for these types of things. Also they have those little dog potty mats with the fake grass for this purpose for little dogs. Small dogs don't like to go outside as much especially in winter to go to the bathroom. Or maybe put a rougher mat in that area that he may not like which will deter him from going there
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting blues_pagan:

DH won't do crate training.  He does go into a small room though (shihtzus wont go in any place they consider their cave).  Needless to say he has scratched the hell out of the door frame.  Another thing we have to fix.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Get a bigger crate than he needs. One of our poodles thought he would start pissing all over our house a few months ago. It was so weird. So I put him in the kitchen with a gate up when we were gone. He started crapping in there and scratching at the molding. Guess what? I out him in his crate, in the kitchen with the gate up. A week of that and that lil bastard stopped crapping and pissing in our house.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM
7 moms liked this

also, Nature's Miracle is a must fr clean ups. A little goes a long way.

Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Clean-up

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I told DH when he gets his VA backpay I want a shampooer.  We don't have one.  I try to do it the best I can by hand.

Quoting Hafsa1:

Do you have the smaller shampoo'er (i.e. Little green machine)? Those work great for these types of things. Also they have those little dog potty mats with the fake grass for this purpose for little dogs. Small dogs don't like to go outside as much especially in winter to go to the bathroom. Or maybe put a rougher mat in that area that he may not like which will deter him from going there

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Crate training.,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN