Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DBL: Am I overreacting or should the dog go?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have a shitzu that is getting really old.  Not sure how old since he was a shelter save but I know it is old lol.

Anyway, I HATE this dog.  With a flaming passion.  Why?  Because he has ruined the house we live in.  I was so happy to move here, the house is great.  But the dog has house training issues that have never been resolved.  DH had the dog before we met and is very attached to it.  I can't stand it.  I have tried many different types of training but he always goes to the same spot at the front door when I am not looking.  If I am in the room with him he will look at me and scratch at the door.  If I am not, he just takes a piss.  

This is the area where he pisses all the time

We rent this place and this portion of the carpet will have to be replaced.  I have done all I can to save it.  

So what do you think?  DH says he won't forgive me if I make him get rid of the dog but at the same time he just pissed on the floor this morning while I was making breakfast for DD.  I can't take it anymore.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (61-70):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I've always used vinegar to get the odor from the carpet and no it doesn't smell like vinegar very long afterward. Pour it on, saturate the area and then put a folded towel over and and step on it to soak it all up.

And hell yeah on the crate training.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I have a co-worker trying to give away her shitzu for this very same reason.  She puts "male-wraps" (diapers) on her dog to prevent this, but that gets annoying.

Have you taken your dog to a vet?  There may be a physical problem as to why he is doing this.  Dogs can get kidney stones or infections which may lead to more frequent urination.  It may also be he senses your frustration and dislike of him, and this behavior may be a sign of anxiety, depression, or maybe his dislike of you.    

Get him on a schedule.  Don't wait for him to show you he has to go.... take him out routinely and monitor his water intake.  Praise him when he goes outside.  If he is a really old dog, he may not be able to hold his urine for a long period and just may need to go more frequently.  Are your kids old enough to take him out?  If so, make it part of their chores.  If not, it's up to you and your husband.  If you are not able to block that area of carpet from the dog, I would place puppy pads over the area.  They can't look any worse than your carpet in the photo above.

As for the carpet, it is ruined.  In fact, the padding and the subflooring are probably ruined as well.  When the carpet and padding are removed, the subflooring or concrete below will have to be bleached or treated with odor-removing chemicals.   

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

For those saying "crate training" I will say, you don't have a shih tzu.

I do.

Shih tzus are notorious for being stubborn, having training issues, and not being particularly bright.

My shih tzu is adorable and I love him but he also has training issues, and always has.

We tried the crate thing, and he peed and pooped all over himself, made a holy mess and did this several times.  It was not the answer.

OP, they have "doggie diapers" if you are having a continual problem that may help.  Nature's Miracle is helpful but not the total answer.

My shih tzu goes in the basement for the most part when he wants to have an "accident", and it is always in the middle of the night, or when we leave the house (he can't stand to be left for any length of time), and we have a cheap rug we bought that we replace as needed, and clean every day in between.

It is not easy.  I feel your pain.

dogsrezrr
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM

"Hey," to your DH. I have a shihtzu in our house too.  I have to say I had to do extreme crate training, meaning the dog is well past one year old and still not allowed full access to house without supervision.   I understand it might be a breed trait. Two other dogs are completely trained with no worrries, so I know it's the dog, not me.  The other two are not crated at all anymore.  You either have to put in the effort, do what has to be done or be ready to pay for damages!

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
First of all, don't compare dog ownership to having children.

Secondly, if you've never trained a Shih Tzu you have no idea. Many are never fully potty trained, its just how their breed is.

Last of all, go have some chocolate because you are being a serious bitch right now for no reason.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

LMAO honey, i don't give a damn if you're a woman or a not. you've TRIED training the dog. do you know how to train dogs? apparently not. have you though to take it to the doctor to see if there's anything wrong that they can't hold it? of course it's going to go to the exact same spot. it's a fucking dog.

Yes, it's your fault. It may not be "your dog". But it's your home to care for, you're the one pissing about the dog making a mess. Then it's your responsibility to find a solution.

Your only resolution seems to be to get rid of the dog. Hmm...interesting, wonder if you'll give your kid away when it starts potty training and shit/pisses on the  carpet.

Quoting blues_pagan:

LOL, I have tried training this dog.  I have worked with it, walked it and did everything i know to do.  

No it isn't my fault.  But good job on the CM line of blaming the woman lol.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

It's YOUR FAULT that the dog isn't house-broken correctly. Nevermind that he had it prior to you being married. Either buck up and get the damn dog trained or buy a rug to cover the spot. That way, the dog will piss there & not on the carpet any longer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I have tried to absolve myself of responsibility letting him know the HE wants the dog, not me.  Needless to say this causes more issues than it helps.

Quoting LindaClement:

Dhs who do not see to it that the dogs are properly trained and walked often enough to avoid making carpet messes are demonstrating that they cannot be reponsible dog owners.

I would absolve myself of any responsibility in the zone: it's his dog, he is the one who 'needs' the dog to pee where it's supposed to --unless he doesn't REALLY want the dog.

A lot of people prefer the idea of wanting dogs to actually being responsible for them. They should get stuffed or porcelain dogs.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I have been doing some reading and research and come to find out it is a breed trait that is extremely prevalent in males.  Looks like this is just the way the dog is.  

All I have to say is that I hope it kicks the bucket soon.  But until then I have a large crate and will be doing that along with pads and vinegar cleaning.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

If he's old. It's not likely that he can be potty trained at this point. I had a Lassa Apso, which is a similar breed. They are VERY stubborn breeds. They know they shouldn't but they will do it anyway. Mine as a puppy began ripping at the carpet so what we did to make him stop was place hot pepper on the carpet. He had the snizzles for a couple of days but stopped. lol. 

dogsrezrr
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM

It's the breed!  They are very hard to house train if nearly impossible, from what I have read.  We decided to think of the dog as an ever lasting toddler.  Putting it in a playpen or in this case, a crate, isn't so inhumane as it might seem compared to having to get rid of it.  Out "toddler" dog only comes out for a half hour at a time with someone watching the whole time.  We give it these supervised outings several times a day so we know it gets plenty of exercise and socialization.  We don't let it out to run around the house during times that everyone is to busy to watch it.  We have"nt  had an accident  for months doing this.  Hope this helps.  It can be so frustrating!

RLT2
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Sometimes dogs run away....  >.>       lol! JK, I really don't know anything about pooch behaviours, so here's a bump!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured