Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

DBL: Am I overreacting or should the dog go?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have a shitzu that is getting really old.  Not sure how old since he was a shelter save but I know it is old lol.

Anyway, I HATE this dog.  With a flaming passion.  Why?  Because he has ruined the house we live in.  I was so happy to move here, the house is great.  But the dog has house training issues that have never been resolved.  DH had the dog before we met and is very attached to it.  I can't stand it.  I have tried many different types of training but he always goes to the same spot at the front door when I am not looking.  If I am in the room with him he will look at me and scratch at the door.  If I am not, he just takes a piss.  

This is the area where he pisses all the time

We rent this place and this portion of the carpet will have to be replaced.  I have done all I can to save it.  

So what do you think?  DH says he won't forgive me if I make him get rid of the dog but at the same time he just pissed on the floor this morning while I was making breakfast for DD.  I can't take it anymore.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (71-80):
RainyDayLazy
by Rainy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM
I got my Shih tzu when she was 2 years old. She came from a puppy mill and was not socialized. I was only supposed to be fostering her but the lady from the rescue stopped contacting me.

Man, was it a struggle to get her house broken. She was petrified of going outside. It took 6+ months before she was mostly trained. I tried a lot of things but what finally worked for her was rewards.

As soon as she peed outside she would get a treat and lots of praise. After a while she would come search for me so she could go out and get her treat. Eventually, she was just given praise and rarely a surprise treat. She still had accidents if I wasn't around to let her out though and she had to sleep with me at night.

Coco was not very smart but she was the sweetest dog. I had to put her down last month because she had cancer. It broke my heart. The poor thing was only 5yrs old. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Yes, I have actually. And successfully!

Hmm....guess it's the TRAINER & not the dog with the issue.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

First of all, don't compare dog ownership to having children.

Secondly, if you've never trained a Shih Tzu you have no idea. Many are never fully potty trained, its just how their breed is.

Last of all, go have some chocolate because you are being a serious bitch right now for no reason.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

LMAO honey, i don't give a damn if you're a woman or a not. you've TRIED training the dog. do you know how to train dogs? apparently not. have you though to take it to the doctor to see if there's anything wrong that they can't hold it? of course it's going to go to the exact same spot. it's a fucking dog.

Yes, it's your fault. It may not be "your dog". But it's your home to care for, you're the one pissing about the dog making a mess. Then it's your responsibility to find a solution.

Your only resolution seems to be to get rid of the dog. Hmm...interesting, wonder if you'll give your kid away when it starts potty training and shit/pisses on the  carpet.

Quoting blues_pagan:

LOL, I have tried training this dog.  I have worked with it, walked it and did everything i know to do.  

No it isn't my fault.  But good job on the CM line of blaming the woman lol.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

It's YOUR FAULT that the dog isn't house-broken correctly. Nevermind that he had it prior to you being married. Either buck up and get the damn dog trained or buy a rug to cover the spot. That way, the dog will piss there & not on the carpet any longer.

batmansgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

If I had to choose between my SO or my dog, dog wins hands down.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Actually no it is the dog.  After doing some research it is the breed and it is prevalent in male dogs.

Notoriously, Shih Tzus are extremely difficult to house train. One factor is that they have small bladders and bowel, especially when still young. Never give Shih Tzus complete freedom inside your house if they are not thoroughly house trained

Read more: http://www.dogbehavioronline.com/how-to-train-a-shih-tzu/#ixzz2H1cv1dsn

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Secondly, if you've never trained a Shih Tzu you have no idea. Many are never fully potty trained, its just how their breed is.

Last of all, go have some chocolate because you are being a serious bitch right now for no reason.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

LMAO honey, i don't give a damn if you're a woman or a not. you've TRIED training the dog. do you know how to train dogs? apparently not. have you though to take it to the doctor to see if there's anything wrong that they can't hold it? of course it's going to go to the exact same spot. it's a fucking dog.

Yes, it's your fault. It may not be "your dog". But it's your home to care for, you're the one pissing about the dog making a mess. Then it's your responsibility to find a solution.

Your only resolution seems to be to get rid of the dog. Hmm...interesting, wonder if you'll give your kid away when it starts potty training and shit/pisses on the  carpet.

Quoting blues_pagan:

LOL, I have tried training this dog.  I have worked with it, walked it and did everything i know to do.  

Quoting kaylamom2004:

It's YOUR FAULT that the dog isn't house-broken correctly. Nevermind that he had it prior to you being married. Either buck up and get the damn dog trained or buy a rug to cover the spot. That way, the dog will piss there & not on the carpet any longer.

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:33 AM

So please go spread your "good cheer" elsewhere.  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In other words STFU.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

blues_pagan
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I do treats and everytime he does his thing outside I let him know by telling him "good boy Max".  Like I said, he does fine when it is just him and I mainly because I put him outside (literally) and won't let him back in until he does something.  DH on the other hand basically ignores the dog but as soon as I say we need to get rid of him he gets all up in arms over how it is his best friend and such.  I don't get it.  He doesn't take care of it.  I don't know when the last time he gave it a bath (that usually falls to me as well).  The only thing he does do with it is feed it.  

I ask him why and he says that he shouldn't have to do it all alone.  

Quoting RainyDayLazy:

I got my Shih tzu when she was 2 years old. She came from a puppy mill and was not socialized. I was only supposed to be fostering her but the lady from the rescue stopped contacting me.

Man, was it a struggle to get her house broken. She was petrified of going outside. It took 6+ months before she was mostly trained. I tried a lot of things but what finally worked for her was rewards.

As soon as she peed outside she would get a treat and lots of praise. After a while she would come search for me so she could go out and get her treat. Eventually, she was just given praise and rarely a surprise treat. She still had accidents if I wasn't around to let her out though and she had to sleep with me at night.

Coco was not very smart but she was the sweetest dog. I had to put her down last month because she had cancer. It broke my heart. The poor thing was only 5yrs old. :(

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The dog should be kenneled or confined unless your DH is there to have the dog tethered to him. This way the dog is not sneaking off to urinate in the house and your DH gets to deal with the issues.

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I don't have to read anything. I've been there. AND DONE IT! SUCCESSFULLY!

So you can blame the dog all day long. From someone who has trained said dog ... I know better.

Quoting blues_pagan:

Actually no it is the dog.  After doing some research it is the breed and it is prevalent in male dogs.

Notoriously, Shih Tzus are extremely difficult to house train. One factor is that they have small bladders and bowel, especially when still young. Never give Shih Tzus complete freedom inside your house if they are not thoroughly house trained

Read more: http://www.dogbehavioronline.com/how-to-train-a-shih-tzu/#ixzz2H1cv1dsn

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Quoting blues_pagan:

Quoting kaylamom2004:

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Really? I've successfully done what you claim can't be done. So who doesn't know what they're talking about and just wants to whine, bitch, moan, groan & google shit.

Quoting blues_pagan:

So please go spread your "good cheer" elsewhere.  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In other words STFU.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Really? I've successfully done what you claim can't be done. So who doesn't know what they're talking about and just wants to whine, bitch, moan, groan & google shit.

Quoting blues_pagan:

In other words STFU.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)