Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

DBL: Am I overreacting or should the dog go?

Posted by   + Show Post

We have a shitzu that is getting really old.  Not sure how old since he was a shelter save but I know it is old lol.

Anyway, I HATE this dog.  With a flaming passion.  Why?  Because he has ruined the house we live in.  I was so happy to move here, the house is great.  But the dog has house training issues that have never been resolved.  DH had the dog before we met and is very attached to it.  I can't stand it.  I have tried many different types of training but he always goes to the same spot at the front door when I am not looking.  If I am in the room with him he will look at me and scratch at the door.  If I am not, he just takes a piss.  

This is the area where he pisses all the time

We rent this place and this portion of the carpet will have to be replaced.  I have done all I can to save it.  

So what do you think?  DH says he won't forgive me if I make him get rid of the dog but at the same time he just pissed on the floor this morning while I was making breakfast for DD.  I can't take it anymore.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (81-90):
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That dog would have been gone before the damage ever got that bad. But I can't stand dogs.

Oh you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with those who are patient-

Al Quran 2-153

dinc
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM

If you have an indoor dog, you really need a carpet shampooer.  Your husband is a big part of the problem here.  The dog needs to be kept on a leash and with your DH at all times.  That way, if the dog starts to go, DH can take him out.  Yes that is a pain but it would stop some of the stains.  I would cover that part of the carpet with a washable area rug or a couple of towels.  Then, if the dog goes, you can pick them up and wash them.  Dogs can be a pain but in my house, they are part of the family.  We just lost one who was 17 and blind.  She peed on everything.  Not fun but she was a really sweet dog.  We shampooed a lot when she was here. 

DeeDee205
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Agree 100%.  Crate training is a great idea.  The crate becomes the dogs "den" and dogs won't usually soil their den.  But you would have to make a committment to get the dog out every 4 hours to relieve himself.  Also, if the dog is old and peeing all the time, perhaps a trip to the vet can determine if there is a bladder problem that can be fixed.  Good luck!  Don't blame the dog.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I would be crate training the dog. There is no way I would leave the dog unattended to roam te house when I wasn't there to nip the behaviors in the bud. If your husband is't onboard for crate training then I say give an ultimatum. Crate training or the dog goes. Dogs aren't really ever too old to learn how to behave. That's a myth.

NutHouseMomma
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Dogs are optional in my opinion. If house-breaking continued to be an issue after attempting to get the problem fixed, I would find another family that wouldn't mind the dog's toilet habits. And I can admit that I am not the ideal pet owner and that's why I don't have pets.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Stop being such a flipping asshole.

Seriously.... She asked for help and you just come in acting superior and rude. We've had Shih Tzus and my Sister is a Vet. They are hard to train. Some are impossible to fully train. It is the breed.

Just because you got lucky and fully trained a dog doesn't mean shit to all the others out their with Shih Tzus who did the same exact training and didnt have the same results.

Stop being such a massive condescending bitch.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Really? I've successfully done what you claim can't be done. So who doesn't know what they're talking about and just wants to whine, bitch, moan, groan & google shit.

Quoting blues_pagan:

So please go spread your "good cheer" elsewhere.  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

In other words STFU.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
BWAHAHAHA!!!

Quoting batmansgirl:

If I had to choose between my SO or my dog, dog wins hands down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Just FYI Smaller breeds tend to pee on themselves even in the Crate...

We had a Lhasa Apso that hates the crate and would just pee and poo in it then lay down. The Vet told me it was "normal small breed" behavior. We actually gave her to another family because the lady had a few Apso's and felt she could handle ther behavior. :-)

Quoting DeeDee205:

Agree 100%.  Crate training is a great idea.  The crate becomes the dogs "den" and dogs won't usually soil their den.  But you would have to make a committment to get the dog out every 4 hours to relieve himself.  Also, if the dog is old and peeing all the time, perhaps a trip to the vet can determine if there is a bladder problem that can be fixed.  Good luck!  Don't blame the dog.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I would be crate training the dog. There is no way I would leave the dog unattended to roam te house when I wasn't there to nip the behaviors in the bud. If your husband is't onboard for crate training then I say give an ultimatum. Crate training or the dog goes. Dogs aren't really ever too old to learn how to behave. That's a myth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM
No such thing as stupid dogs, just stupid owners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

smart people buy puppy pads and place them in the problem area when they notice the issue before it gets that bad

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

scary but... i agree

Quoting Carpy:

No such thing as stupid dogs, just stupid owners.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)