Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Has anyone else noticed.....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 20 Replies

....that Amazon just doesn't seem to be the cheapest place to get most things anymore? I just logged on to get my cat food that I always buy there, only to find it went up by $10 per case since last week! A buck or two, OK. But $10? That's ridiculous. And I've been noticing their prices aren't the best for other things anymore as well, including toys. I guess this is how they are going to pay for their "free shipping" when you have a Prime membership now.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I stopped shopping via Amazon a couple of years ago. I really feel like Totsy and other sites like that have put them out of the market for the best prices. Also, a lot of items have started becoming exclusive to certain chains like Toy's R Us, Target,  Overstock etc. It makes it hard to bargain shop if only one place carries it.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I started getting my cat food there, because my local petfood store was always out of it, and it's the only thing my cats will eat. Now, they are charging $10 a case more? Nope. My cats will just have to learn to eat something else.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I stopped shopping via Amazon a couple of years ago. I really feel like Totsy and other sites like that have put them out of the market for the best prices. Also, a lot of items have started becoming exclusive to certain chains like Toy's R Us, Target,  Overstock etc. It makes it hard to bargain shop if only one place carries it.

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I've always mainly used Amazon for things like music, movies, etc and they've always been the better price; or comparible to Wal Mart then I could have it shipped to my house rather then battle the store with 3 kids!  That said, yes, with toys, etc their prices aren't as competitive anymore

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I had not really noticed... I tend to only use Amazon for items I can not get directly from their original location. 

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I haven't noticed a significant increase in any of the things I purchase through them.  Checking some of the things I've purchased in the past the prices are actually a bit better than tney were when I purchased them last through Amazon.  

I've noticed that as their inventory goes down the price of the items starts to go up.  

If your local pet stores run out of the food you use quickly it may be one that also goes quickly at Amazon.  

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yup---it's for the gas to haul it.  Free shipping?  lol

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Usually when I can't get it anywhere else, Amazon has it. So I'm not sure what's up. It's only that flavor of that brand that went up. The rest stayed at the same price, which is even more baffling. I dunno. If I can't find it locally for a better price, the cats will just have to get off their high horses and eat something else.

Quoting katy_kay08:

I haven't noticed a significant increase in any of the things I purchase through them.  Checking some of the things I've purchased in the past the prices are actually a bit better than tney were when I purchased them last through Amazon.  

I've noticed that as their inventory goes down the price of the items starts to go up.  

If your local pet stores run out of the food you use quickly it may be one that also goes quickly at Amazon.  

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I have not noticed that, but I am pretty good about price checking beforehand.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I only use Amazon to buy books for my kindle. Nothing else. 

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Hey, I saw this today and immediately thought of you!  

Target Pledges to Price Match Amazon Year-Round

http://mashable.com/2013/01/08/target-price-match-year-round/

Following a test-piloting period over the holidays, Target has agreed to match prices with Amazon, Walmart.com, BestBuy.com, Toysrus.com and a handful of other online retailers year-round.

In-store shoppers can secure price matches at the Guest Services department within seven days of purchase. Only one of each kind of product is eligible for price-matching.

At first blush, the initiative promises to cut sharply into Target's sales margins: Amazon, which generated approximately three times more revenue than Target in 2011 and is also free of heavy brick-and-mortar operation costs, can afford to sell goods at razor-thin margins. It's likely that Target will record a loss on many, if not most, of the items it is forced to price match.

But the majority of Target's products won't be affected by the scheme, Sucharita Mulpuru, an analyst at Forrester Research, wrote in an e-mail to Mashable. "Target is pretty deep in private-label merchandise that this doesn't worry me that much," she wrote. "It will primarily be for toys, baby products and CPG items that are traffic drivers and often loss leaders anyway."

Plus, Mulpuru pointed out, going through the Guest Services desk is so unpleasant and time-consuming that many shoppers will be deterred from seeking out price matches. It's all about marketing and perception management, an effort to convince shoppers that, like Amazon or Walmart, they can shop at Target secure in the belief that they are obtaining the lowest prices. Target began offering price matches with other brick-and-mortar retailers, including Walmart, in 2009; Tuesday's announcement simply extends this scheme to online competitors.

The initiative should also help combat showrooming, a practice whereby in-store shoppers scan a product barcode with their smartphones and, after finding a cheaper price online, make a purchase there instead. Target is trying to persuade customers to head to Guest Services instead of clicking the "buy" button on their phones.

"It's definitely a risky bet," Clark Fredricksen, VP of communications at eMarketer, observed in a phone interview with Mashable. "But Target needs to capture loyalty for all types of customers at this point. Consumers today are much less one-dimensional than they were previously."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN