Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Absolutely F***ing Disgusting...

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 43 Replies

I'm sorry, there are no other words to describe this...has anyone been following the Steubenville rape case? A 16 year old girl was possibly drugged and kidnapped, raped, urinated on, etc. by high school football players at multiple parties, and these boys (ones who raped her and ones who watched) documented the whole thing on social media, including videos, and laughed about it for days...F***ING SICK...I don't think I've ever been as disgusted as I am now...here's some overview....

http://prinniefied.com/wp/we-didnt-know-what-rape-was/

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/crime/video-michael-nodianos-describes-rape-teens-laugh

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01/03/anonymous-takes-on-rape-culture-leaks-video-of-steubenville-jocks-mocking-rape-victim-video-nsfw/

This is from the boys football coaches...

This was done by football players. So of course, many people in town are rushing to defend the rapists, including coaches on their football team.

“The rape was just an excuse, I think,” said the 27-year-old Hubbard, who is No. 2 on the Big Red’s career rushing list.

“What else are you going to tell your parents when you come home drunk like that and after a night like that?” said Hubbard, who is one of the team’s 19 coaches. “She had to make up something. Now people are trying to blow up our football program because of it.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2013/01/03/i-hope-this-haunts-michael-nodianos-for-the-rest-of-his-life/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+freethoughtblogs%2Fpharyngula+(FTB%3A+Pharyngula)

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Brought to national attention last month by an excellent piece in the New York Times, the unfolding rape case in Steubenville, Ohio is a mess. At first, it seemed like a straightforward instance of acquaintance rape, perhaps a little more brutal than most but sadly of the kind that happens on a daily basis in this country: Two young men, both on the Steubenville High School football team, discovered an extremely drunk 16-year-old girl at a party and allegedly carried her around with them all night as their own personal rape toy, repeatedly sexually assaulting her. The alleged rapists, Trent Mays and Ma'lik Richmond, have been charged and are awaiting trial. In the meantime, the case has grown complex, with allegations of cover-ups and corruption and hacktivist group Anonymous now getting involved. I have thoughts on the Anonymous role, but first, here's a rundown of where the story stands now.

The alleged crime: Witnesses, some also on the football team, testified at a probable cause hearing that Mays and Richmond spent most of the night of Aug. 11 standing over, directing, transporting, and otherwise controlling the blacked-out drunk victim, who they carried to three separate parties. According to the New York Times, witnesses claim that Mays and Richmond tried to coerce the victim into oral sex, exposed her naked body as a joke to other partygoers, penetrated her digitally, and exposed themselves to her. Other Steubenville students on Twitter and YouTube say they witnessed even worse violations, including urinating on the victim and anal rape, though these are not official statements. (And sadly, these students were more delighted than upset by what they allegedly saw.) While it appears that multiple students taped and photographed the alleged assault, officials claim they haven't been able to turn up much in the way of evidence, because the evidence has been deleted.

The local reaction: Even though, as the New York Times discovered, many members of the community and especially the football coach have been extremely defensive about the alleged rape and fallout, at least one former Steubenville resident decided to speak up. Alexandria Goddard has used her crime blog Prinnified to air the dissenting local opinion that this case is just another example of how the special status of the football program protects players from having to take full responsibility for their actions. Of particular outrage to Goddard is the fact that many other players besides Mays and Richmond appeared to have participated in the alleged assault to some extent, taking pictures and videos, but aren't facing any legal repercussions. Early to cover the case, Goddard has backed this claim up by posting screenshots of now-deleted photos and videos of the night. She was sued for defamation by student Cody Saltsman, who left an ugly online history celebrating the alleged assault, including a photo on Instagram of the alleged victim being tossed about by her alleged assailants. The case was dismissed with prejudice in late December, and Saltsman publicly apologized to the victim and her family for his online actions.

Anonymous gets involved: Convinced that the case isn't being taken seriously enough by the community or the justice system, online activists under the banner of Anonymous have now started a local leaks page to release information gathered on people they believe are involved in covering up the full extent of the alleged assault. They've organized "Operation Roll Red Roll" to hack the private information of people they think have been involved in the crime and/or what they deem to be the cover-up, and started dumping incriminating info online Jan. 1. They've also organized at least one protest demanding that the football coach lose his job.

The Atlantic Wire has a good rundown of the various Anonymous accusations and leaks, including very serious allegations about extensive justice system corruption and a 12 minute video of a Steubenville student who claims to have witnessed some of the assault and takes extreme pleasure in the alleged rape, laughing about how the victim appeared "dead," and asserting that the victim has been anally raped. At one point, the student scolds another young man for checking up on the victim, which suggests very strongly that this video was taking place during or right after the alleged assault.

Anonymous has been vital in getting out at least some of the evidence of the assault to the media. As the group shows no signs of slowing down the hacking, this is a story that could very well develop further. But the role Anonymous now plays in this case is certainly hard to reconcile, morally.

As some initial gleeful Twitter responses from students to the alleged rape demonstrate, one reason rape continues is that communities not only don't hold perpetrators responsible, but close ranks to defend or even celebrate them. By stepping in and holding people accountable, Anonymous stands a very good chance of taking action that actually does something to stop rape. But: This type of online vigilante justice is potentially invading the privacy of or defaming innocent Steubenville residents, and even if everything published is true, there are very serious legal limits to the Anonymous strategy. Not all of the leaked allegations are attached to Twitter or YouTube accounts-many of the most serious cover-up claims, which we won't reprint here, are at this point only rumor. The allegations will infuriate you, but they don't rise to the level of real evidence that can be used to truly hold responsible those who participate in sex crimes.

Want more of your favorite content on the MSN homepage?
Try the news, sports or entertainment editons.
Your Facebook Friends will see that you've read this article.
Don't show me this box again.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM

How sick and deeply disturbing.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Disgusting.

And I'm sure its her fault for putting a cup to her lips.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM

This is part of the problem:

Within days of the possible sexual assault, an online personality who often blogs about crime zeroed in on those public comments and photographs and injected herself into the story, complicating it and igniting ire in the community. She posted the information on her site and wrote online that the police and town officials were giving the football players special treatment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sports/high-school-football-rape-case-unfolds-online-and-divides-steubenville-ohio.html?pagewanted=5&_r=1&hp&&pagewanted=all

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Rape Case Unfolds on Web and Splits City

Jeff Swensen for The New York Times

Steubenville, Ohio, is a place where "everybody knows everybody," a judge said. Work at steel mills and coal mines was once plentiful there. But a lack of jobs has more residents leaving.

By and
Published: December 16, 2012
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Save
  • Print
  • Reprints

STEUBENVILLE, Ohio

Steubenville Police Chief William McCafferty is bothered when he hears people say Big Red players get away with crimes. If crimes are being committed, he said, they are not being reported.

Inside Harding Stadium, a big thrill for fans is seeing a sculpture of a rearing red stallion called Man O'War shoot a six-foot flame from its mouth, marking each time the football team scores.

Coach Reno Saccoccia said because he had not seen online postings about the night in question, he had no basis for benching players.

Some former players describe playing at Harding Stadium as the highlight of their lives.

HOURS AFTER SUNSET, the cars pulled up, one after another, bringing dozens of teenagers from several nearby high schools to an end-of-summer party in August in a neighborhood here just off the main drag.

For some of the teenagers, it would be one last big night out before they left this decaying steel town, bound for college.

For others, it was a way to cap off a summer of socializing before school started in less than two weeks. For the lucky ones on the Steubenville High School football team, it would be the start of another season of possible glory as stars in this football-crazy county.

Some in the crowd, which would grow to close to 50 people, arrived with beer. Those who did not were met by cases of it and a makeshift bar of vodka, rum and whiskey, all for the taking, no identification needed. In a matter of no time, many of the partygoers - many of them were high school athletes - were imbibing from red plastic cups inside the home of a volunteer football coach at Steubenville High at what would be the first of several parties that night.

"Huge party!!! Banger!!!!" Trent Mays, a sophomore quarterback on Steubenville's team, posted on Twitter, referring to one of the bashes that evening.

By sunrise, though, some people in and around Steubenville had gotten word that the night of fun on Aug. 11 might have taken a grim turn, and that members of the Steubenville High football team might have been involved. Twitter posts, videos and photographs circulated by some who attended the nightlong set of parties suggested that an unconscious girl had been sexually assaulted over several hours while others watched. She even might have been urinated on.

In one photograph posted on Instagram by a Steubenville High football player, the girl, who was from across the Ohio River in Weirton, W.Va., is shown looking unresponsive as two boys carry her by her wrists and ankles. Twitter users wrote the words "rape" and "drunk girl" in their posts.

Rumors of a possible crime spread, and people, often with little reliable information, quickly took sides. Some residents and others on social media blamed the girl, saying she put the football team in a bad light and put herself in a position to be violated. Others supported the girl, saying she was a victim of what they believed was a hero-worshiping culture built around football players who think they can do no wrong.

On Aug. 22, the possible crime made local news when the police came forward with details: two standout Steubenville football players - Mays, 16, from Bloomingdale, Ohio, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, from Steubenville - were arrested and later charged with raping a 16-year-old girl and kidnapping her by taking her to several parties while she was too drunk to resist.

The case is not the first time a high school football team has been entangled in accusations of sexual assault. But the situation in Steubenville has another layer to it that separates it from many others: It is a sexual assault accusation in the age of social media, when teenagers are capturing much of their lives on their camera phones - even repugnant, possibly criminal behavior, as they did in Steubenville in August - and then posting it on the Web, like a graphic, public diary.

Within days of the possible sexual assault, an online personality who often blogs about crime zeroed in on those public comments and photographs and injected herself into the story, complicating it and igniting ire in the community. She posted the information on her site and wrote online that the police and town officials were giving the football players special treatment.

The city's police chief begged for witnesses to come forward, but received little response. In time, the county prosecutor and the judge in charge of handling crimes by juveniles recused themselves from the case because they had ties to the football team.

"It's a very, very small community here," said Jefferson County Juvenile Judge Samuel W. Kerr, who recused himself. His granddaughter dated one of the football players initially linked to the incident. "Everybody knows everybody."

After more than two months in jail, they are under house arrest on rape charges, awaiting a trial that has been set for Feb. 13. Mays, a star wrestler, also faces a charge of disseminating photographs of a nude minor. The kidnapping charges were dropped.

The parents of the boys, who declined requests for extended interviews, said that the boys were innocent. The boys' lawyers assert that the boys have been tried unfairly online, and vow they will be exonerated when all the facts are known.

The case has entangled dozens of people in and out of this town.

Three Steubenville High School athletes became witnesses for the prosecution and testified against Mays and Richmond, their friends, at a probable cause hearing in October. The crime blogger and more than a dozen people who posted comments on her Web site have been sued by a Steubenville football player and his parents for defamation. The girl's mother, in several brief interviews last month, said her family had received threats, so extra police have been patrolling her neighborhood.

"The thing I found most disturbing about this is that there were other people around when this was going on," Steubenville Police Chief William McCafferty said of the events that unfolded. "Nobody had the morals to say, ‘Hey, stop it, that isn't right.'

"If you could charge people for not being decent human beings, a lot of people could have been charged that night."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sports/high-school-football-rape-case-unfolds-online-and-divides-steubenville-ohio.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

This is not the whole article...

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Did you see the video? I saw a brief clip on the news. The boy was saying like she aint my daughter and if I had a dauggter I guess in 10 years she'll be raped and murdered and laughed. Sick as f**k!!! Im livid. And he'll just get a few years in jail. Piece of shit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:36 PM

The boy in the video is not even in trouble or being charged with anything...and the video is possibly mid-attack, apparently there's a part where one of the boys gets made fun of for leaving the room to check on the girl. I couldn't finish watching it.

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Did you see the video? I saw a brief clip on the news. The boy was saying like she aint my daughter and if I had a dauggter I guess in 10 years she'll be raped and murdered and laughed. Sick as f**k!!! Im livid. And he'll just get a few years in jail. Piece of shit.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Nasty boys, nasty community that thinks football is more important then this girl and her suffering!
jynkx
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

ive been hearing about this all morning.  im so disgusted that i dont even know what to say.  every last one of them (including the ones that were sitting around laughing at it) need to explain themselves on the stand.  what happened to civic responsibility?  these boys are without a conscious and that is a very dangerous thing.

jynkx
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

that video made me sad.  sad that this is how our current society is.  sad that our young men are turning into animals.  sad that this was distributed online for the whole world to see and (i hope not) copy cat.  

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)