Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Listen to Slate’s show about the much-reviled phenomenon, prominent among young American women, of “creaky voice.”

Posted by   + Show Post

There are videos in the first 10 posts with examples.

Do You Creak?

Listen to Slate’s show about the much-reviled phenomenon, prominent among young American women, of “creaky voice.”

Listen to Lexicon Valley Episode No. 24: Get Your Creak On

120206_PODCAST_lexiconAlley

In the early 1980s, Valleyspeak—with its liberal use of “like,” totally grody vocabulary and high rising terminal—swept the nation with the help of surf culture and Frank Zappa and signaled for many the coming end of the world. Although we somehow managed to endure that frightful fad and beat back the apocalypse, doomsayers—including our own Bob Garfield—claim that yet another pox is now upon us. Researches have identified that a phenomenon known as “creaky voice,” a kind of speech affect that sounds like staccato bursts from the back of the throat, is especially prevalent among young American women. Sound familiar? Listen as Bob and I discuss the creaky among us.

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I'll take creaky voice over bath salts anyday. = )

Pink.Frosting
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Lol, my daughter's best friend does that.  She's 16.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I was just listening to the radio in my car and a young woman called in and she spoke with this type of voice, it was horrible!  lol

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:22 PM

My daughter does not do this.  She sounds like a 30 year old woman.  Even as a child, she had an oddly sounding adult voice. We used to laugh about how she could answer the phone and sound like me.

But yes, I hear it a LOT.  Sounds ridiculous.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM

It kind of sounds like toad mating calls when they do this. They're croaking! 

My brother's girlfriend says "like" about every other word. It's irritating, as much as I like her. My man would like to slap her, but I try to get him to just grin and bear it. lol

lga1965
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting stacymomof2:

lol, I subscribe to this podcast and heard this episode.

It is annoying and I swear ever woman between the ages of 14 and 30 does it.  I don't.  I thnk it's pretentious and sounds really affected.  But I doubt the people who do it really know they are even doing it.

At about the 20 minute mark it discusses possible motivations for using this voice.  UGHHHH!!!

SO what is the possible motivation ? I could only stay interested in this for about 7 minutes and I don't think I want to listen until the 20 minute mark !LOL

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

lga1965
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I have heard the creaky voice. It is kind of affected.

But another thing I have noticed among both young boys and girls is a "hoarse voice" as if they are about to lose their voice, as if they have been screaming all day long. Anyone else hear that? Its disturbing.

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM
All the kids around here talk like that. It's annoying! I passed a group of teens in Walmart that were making absolute arses of themselves and they sounded like that. One was in the shopping cart texting and reading her texts out loud and the other two were pushing her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quoting norahsmommy:

All the kids around here talk like that. It's annoying! I passed a group of teens in Walmart that were making absolute arses of themselves and they sounded like that. One was in the shopping cart texting and reading her texts out loud and the other two were pushing her.

There is another reason to avoid Walmart!  :-)

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I've only heard women talk this way in passing a few times, thank goodness. I'm so glad my daughter and her friends don't talk this way...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN