Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gym Membership

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 36 Replies
2 moms liked this

Is anyone else a member of a gym? I joined Planet Fitness a couple of days ago as part of a resolution to lose at least 35 lbs this year, and went to the gym for the first time in almost 10 years. Holy crap! I forgot how much I love working out, and that place has freakin' EVERYTHING! I did lower body last night and plan to work on upper body tonight. I think this 35 lbs is going to come off pretty easy!

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polyhymia
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a membership, but can't go as much as i would like. I love the gym but it is filled with teens most of the time so that gets irritating. My favorites are the eliptical, any lower body machine and the sauna. I love love love the sauna haha. I also get a discount for being a student which is awesome. I have the same weight loss goal by the way :) I lost 22 in 2012 >happy dance<

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

My weight has yo-yo'ed ever since my son was born 8 years ago. I haven't been at a healthy weight (130) since I was in the Air Force a decade ago, but I've bounced pretty wildly between 143 (low) and 216 (post-partum high when my daughter was born 3 years ago). I've been sitting at about 180 for the last 6 months or so, and I want to get back down to 145 and stay there. 130 just seems unrealistic at this point. My identical twin sister runs ultra-marathons and can't get her weight down to 130, so there is no way in hell I can.

I didn't see too many teens last night, but I waited until 8 to go...maybe they were there earlier. There were enough people my age and older to balance it out for me and make me comfortable.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Quoting polyhymia:

I have a membership, but can't go as much as i would like. I love the gym but it is filled with teens most of the time so that gets irritating. My favorites are the eliptical, any lower body machine and the sauna. I love love love the sauna haha. I also get a discount for being a student which is awesome. I have the same weight loss goal by the way :) I lost 22 in 2012 >happy dance<

"Roger that. Over."

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I do off and on.  One of my resolutions was to begin Body For Life again, and I use the gym primarily for weight lifting, once I've used up all my at-home options (i.e. too strong for my hand weights or body weight workouts) so I've got a couple months before I need that.

At home, I've got a treadmill and a couple of miles of running paths with nice scenery around the neighborhood for my cardio.

If you like lifting, look up Body For Life.  Excellent program; will shred you.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I joined a gym on Black Friday and got memberships for both my husband and myself.

I was doing things at home so I didn't "need" to join a gym, but it was a great deal and I'm there on the
weeknights for my son's Tae Kwon
Do classes anyways.

It feels good to switch up my routine. The gym gave me a bunch of passes, so my daughter has been joining me. I should have gotten her name on the other membership. My hubby has gone once. It's so hard to motivate him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I lifted a lot when I was in the Air Force, but I've gotten surprisingly soft since getting out. I do like lifting, but I had a shoulder injury while I was in the service that hinders me on occasion. I tried lifting last night and realized just how out of shape I am.

I bought a year membership at Planet Fitness, so I'm going to take advantage of that to its fullest. However, I'll look into Body For Life after my membership is up. I assume this is something you have to pay for, right?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I do off and on.  One of my resolutions was to begin Body For Life again, and I use the gym primarily for weight lifting, once I've used up all my at-home options (i.e. too strong for my hand weights or body weight workouts) so I've got a couple months before I need that.

At home, I've got a treadmill and a couple of miles of running paths with nice scenery around the neighborhood for my cardio.

"Roger that. Over."

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My twin sister (whom I baby-sit for daily) has a treadmill and bells at her house, but I just couldn't get motivated. The gym seems to motivate me. Maybe its the fact that I'm paying for it and want to get my money's worth...I don't know. lol

I have the black card membership at PF, so I can bring guests. I don't know if there is a limit to how often I can bring said guests...I need to check into that. I took my older sister with me last night, and she wants to go with me every night. She lost about 30 lbs last year and wants to continue losing weight (she's still about 40-50 lbs overweight).  

I doubt my husband will ever go with me, which is sad because he's the heaviest and most obese person in my family. Oh well.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I joined a gym on Black Friday and got memberships for both my husband and myself.

I was doing things at home so I didn't "need" to join a gym, but it was a great deal and I'm there on the
weeknights for my son's Tae Kwon
Do classes anyways.

It feels good to switch up my routine. The gym gave me a bunch of passes, so my daughter has been joining me. I should have gotten her name on the other membership. My hubby has gone once. It's so hard to motivate him.

"Roger that. Over."

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Nope, Body For Life is completely free.  :)

It's a fitness and nutrition plan.  Since you have a gym membership, you are a step ahead!  You alternate HIIT cardio and weight lifting, and eat 5 to 6 small, healthy meals a day.  Common sense stuff.  Will really crank up your metabolism.  Here:

http://www.hussmanfitness.org/

http://bodyforlife.com/

Of course, they really really WANT you to buy lots of EAS products and replace a few meals a day with them, but you don't have to and many people don't!  I only use a whey shake after a cardio if I'm in a rush, and keep a few protein bars in the cabinet for emergencies - otherwise it's whole foods.

Quoting radioheid:

I lifted a lot when I was in the Air Force, but I've gotten surprisingly soft since getting out. I do like lifting, but I had a shoulder injury while I was in the service that hinders me on occasion. I tried lifting last night and realized just how out of shape I am.

I bought a year membership at Planet Fitness, so I'm going to take advantage of that to its fullest. However, I'll look into Body For Life after my membership is up. I assume this is something you have to pay for, right?

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM
I'm a member of golds and spend 5-6 days per week there. I need to lose 106 lbs still to hit my goal. :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I'm not currently but hubs is...I hope to be able to join him after my surgery later this month!

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I joined the YMCA in May of last year and have lost 20 lbs.  I mainly play a lot of racquetball and try to walk when I can.  I hope to lose 20 to 40 lbs more this year.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured