Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Firm wants to sell pot in vending machines

Recreational marijuana users could get pot from vending machines, company says

Now that Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana, entrepreneurs are embarking on what is being called "the green rush." NBC's Pete Williams reports.

By Jeff Black, NBC News

If a California company has its way, recreational marijuana users in Colorado and Washington state will one day be able to get their pot out of vending machines.

Such machines are already in use in some states where medical marijuana is legal, but now the maker's founder says the company is working to adapt the machines to comply with new laws in Colorado and Washington, where adults can legally use marijuana for recreation.

The vending machines for medicine require a fingerprint scan to verify the identification of the patient, which is then linked to a prescription on file.

But as Washington and Colorado figure out how to create a legal pot market for the masses, Hollywood-based Medbox, a public company, is offering up its expertise in convenient delivery systems.

"One day we envision these machines to be accessed, when it's allowed, 24 hours a day," Vincent Mehdizadeh, the founder and chief consultant of a subsidiary of Medbox that produces, installs and consults on the vending business, told NBC News. "One day in the future that may happen, but for now these machines sit behind the counter as an inventory control and compliance tool."

He said the Medbox machines and consultancy are in high demand in states such as Arizona, Massachusetts and Connecticut that have published medical marijuana regulations. Dispensaries use them to keep marijuana from being pilfered and comply with laws.

So where will all that 'legal' pot come from? Sale of pot stymied

Medbox is now offering to work with Washington and Colorado officials who are mobilizing to create the framework for a legal marijuana industry - and to collect taxes on pot sales.

"These machines behind the counter act an inventory control and taxation tracking tool so that the states can effectively track the taxes and collect on them more efficiently with real-time reporting directly from the machine to the state database," Mehdizadeh said.

The company also helps operators get licensed in states that have licensing programs.

"We've probably been the most successful consulting firm in the marijuana business," he said.

Mikhail Carpenter, spokesman for Washington's Liquor Control Board, said Medbox has been in contact with the state but at this point no outside vendors have been chosen to help with marijuana sales.

Under state law, marijuana and marijuana-infused products, Carpenter said, would have to be sold from inside the confines of a retail outlet.

"So I can't imagine with the way the law is written that you would see vending machines on the street corner," Carpenter told NBC News.

In November, Washington and Colorado voters passed initiatives to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. Those laws went into effect last month.

Buzzkill: Feds fire warning shot over pot legalization

In Washington state, voter-approved Initiative 502 made it legal for anyone 21 or over to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, 16 ounces of "solid marijuana-infused product" (pot brownies and such) or 72 ounces of "marijuana-infused liquid.

Washington's Liquor Control Board has until Dec. 1 to develop rules for implementation of its new recreational marijuana law.

Watch the most-viewed videos on NBCNews.com

Colorado, under Amendment 64 to the state Constitution, legalized not only recreational use, but also home growing, which is still illegal in Washington.

Growing, selling and possessing marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and the federal government is reviewing options in both Washington and Colorado.

President Barack Obama last month weighed in on the issue, telling ABC's Barbara Walters the federal government has more important things to do than go after recreational marijuana users.

"We have bigger fish to fry," he told Walters.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:17 PM

If it is connected medically, why would they? When you get your medical card...this is a process. You don't just get a card from your doctor. Your doctor determines the need, applies to the state, the state decided the need, the state sends a card. With the card, you are only allowed to buy a certain amount per month. This is a prescription just like any other. If you had the need, why would you give your prescription away? You can't go get more.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I saw this on our local news last night.  I live in Washington.  I supported the marijuana bill, but I don't support these machines.  They are too difficult to regulate.  What would stop someone from using their fingerprint to buy for someone else?  To me, this would be irresponsible.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 4, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I don't think this is a great idea. Considering the current street value of mj, especially medical grade, and the gangs & cartels being the competition I can see this ending up with violence and thefts. Here the medical mj dispensaries all have locked gates/doors and guards. Until we have full legalization and get some control over the cartels I think we need to stick with more closely monitored and protected distribution.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM
It was approved for recreational use in Washington. That was the gist of the story on our news channels. They were talking about vending machines for recreational pot.

Quoting EireLass:

If it is connected medically, why would they? When you get your medical card...this is a process. You don't just get a card from your doctor. Your doctor determines the need, applies to the state, the state decided the need, the state sends a card. With the card, you are only allowed to buy a certain amount per month. This is a prescription just like any other. If you had the need, why would you give your prescription away? You can't go get more.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I saw this on our local news last night.  I live in Washington.  I supported the marijuana bill, but I don't support these machines.  They are too difficult to regulate.  What would stop someone from using their fingerprint to buy for someone else?  To me, this would be irresponsible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Courtney610
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:47 PM
We actually had wine vening machines in PA.

Quoting lga1965:

Okay,then they need a wine and beer vending machine,too, since they are so similar,right? Yah,right.

Weed in vending machines....OMG.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Cool !  LOL>How did that work out? I can imagine lots of problems.

Quoting Courtney610:

We actually had wine vening machines in PA.

Quoting lga1965:

Okay,then they need a wine and beer vending machine,too, since they are so similar,right? Yah,right.

Weed in vending machines....OMG.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

Courtney610
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM
I don't think they were that popular. I don't remember any problems, I don't think they were successful, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DropZoneMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Utter stupidity.  Makes about as much sense as selling alcohol through vending machines.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Quoting EireLass:

Readily available when it comes to a machine near you? Not to be rude, but where have you been? It's easier for kids to get pot than it is cigarettes and booze.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

This is one thing I feared.  If some one wants to get high, for any reason, have at it.  Having it so readily available isn't some thing I can get on board with.

I realize how easy it is.  Always has been.  Regardless, even though I understand why pot should be legal, I voted for it here in WA, I don't have to get on board with every thing out there in regards to how available it is.

Easy to get or not, I will never condone it for my children, at any age.  Doesn't mean they won't do it. *shrug*  I dislike weed, in all forms, outside of medical reasons.  For me.  For my children.  For others, do as you wish in the privacy of your own home, none of my business.

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Wow....I can't believe pot isn't looked at as a being bad much anymore. It's just normal...smh. Oh we'll, whatever floats your boat I guess.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Wow....I can't believe pot isn't looked at as a being bad much anymore. It's just normal...smh. Oh we'll, whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm curious.....why do people need to consider it 'normal'?  I voted for it to be legal for rec use here in WA, I get that, but to me........using it outside of medical reasons isn't 'normal'.  Every day, that is.  Same with alcohol.  It isn't 'normal' to me when some one (and I used to be that 'some one') drinks every day.  

It alters your mind.  It is not 'normal'.  But, I guess, to be fair, it isn't 'abnormal' for many either.  *shrug*

~*~Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to.~*~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured