Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Firm wants to sell pot in vending machines

Recreational marijuana users could get pot from vending machines, company says

Now that Colorado and Washington have legalized marijuana, entrepreneurs are embarking on what is being called "the green rush." NBC's Pete Williams reports.

By Jeff Black, NBC News

If a California company has its way, recreational marijuana users in Colorado and Washington state will one day be able to get their pot out of vending machines.

Such machines are already in use in some states where medical marijuana is legal, but now the maker's founder says the company is working to adapt the machines to comply with new laws in Colorado and Washington, where adults can legally use marijuana for recreation.

The vending machines for medicine require a fingerprint scan to verify the identification of the patient, which is then linked to a prescription on file.

But as Washington and Colorado figure out how to create a legal pot market for the masses, Hollywood-based Medbox, a public company, is offering up its expertise in convenient delivery systems.

"One day we envision these machines to be accessed, when it's allowed, 24 hours a day," Vincent Mehdizadeh, the founder and chief consultant of a subsidiary of Medbox that produces, installs and consults on the vending business, told NBC News. "One day in the future that may happen, but for now these machines sit behind the counter as an inventory control and compliance tool."

He said the Medbox machines and consultancy are in high demand in states such as Arizona, Massachusetts and Connecticut that have published medical marijuana regulations. Dispensaries use them to keep marijuana from being pilfered and comply with laws.

So where will all that 'legal' pot come from? Sale of pot stymied

Medbox is now offering to work with Washington and Colorado officials who are mobilizing to create the framework for a legal marijuana industry - and to collect taxes on pot sales.

"These machines behind the counter act an inventory control and taxation tracking tool so that the states can effectively track the taxes and collect on them more efficiently with real-time reporting directly from the machine to the state database," Mehdizadeh said.

The company also helps operators get licensed in states that have licensing programs.

"We've probably been the most successful consulting firm in the marijuana business," he said.

Mikhail Carpenter, spokesman for Washington's Liquor Control Board, said Medbox has been in contact with the state but at this point no outside vendors have been chosen to help with marijuana sales.

Under state law, marijuana and marijuana-infused products, Carpenter said, would have to be sold from inside the confines of a retail outlet.

"So I can't imagine with the way the law is written that you would see vending machines on the street corner," Carpenter told NBC News.

In November, Washington and Colorado voters passed initiatives to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. Those laws went into effect last month.

Buzzkill: Feds fire warning shot over pot legalization

In Washington state, voter-approved Initiative 502 made it legal for anyone 21 or over to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, 16 ounces of "solid marijuana-infused product" (pot brownies and such) or 72 ounces of "marijuana-infused liquid.

Washington's Liquor Control Board has until Dec. 1 to develop rules for implementation of its new recreational marijuana law.

Watch the most-viewed videos on NBCNews.com

Colorado, under Amendment 64 to the state Constitution, legalized not only recreational use, but also home growing, which is still illegal in Washington.

Growing, selling and possessing marijuana remains illegal under federal law, and the federal government is reviewing options in both Washington and Colorado.

President Barack Obama last month weighed in on the issue, telling ABC's Barbara Walters the federal government has more important things to do than go after recreational marijuana users.

"We have bigger fish to fry," he told Walters.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Wow....I can't believe pot isn't looked at as a being bad much anymore. It's just normal...smh. Oh we'll, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Because more and more people are realizing that most of the scary stuff we've been told about marijuana is wrong. It's less dangerous than a number of things we use without a second thought.. Add to that the complete waste of resources & abysmal failure of the drug war, people are wising up.

Before the Marijuana Tax Act passed in 1937 it wasn't a big deal either.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

coupon_ash_back
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I have no idea...that's what I don't get.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Wow....I can't believe pot isn't looked at as a being bad much anymore. It's just normal...smh. Oh we'll, whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm curious.....why do people need to consider it 'normal'?  I voted for it to be legal for rec use here in WA, I get that, but to me........using it outside of medical reasons isn't 'normal'.  Every day, that is.  Same with alcohol.  It isn't 'normal' to me when some one (and I used to be that 'some one') drinks every day.  

It alters your mind.  It is not 'normal'.  But, I guess, to be fair, it isn't 'abnormal' for many either.  *shrug*

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM

And why not?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this

why would anyone pay for MJ in a state where its legal....buy a potplant and be happy for free :-)

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:02 AM
This worked out well for cigarettes...
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:04 AM
Eh, I have a black thumb so that would be a big waste of money for me.

Quoting turtle68:

why would anyone pay for MJ in a state where its legal....buy a potplant and be happy for free :-)

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:07 AM

its a weed LOL...you dont need a green thumb :-)

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting turtle68:

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I would somehow kill it. I have not ever managed to keep a house plant alive. Ever. Even my chia pet died! Lol

My mom on the other had has a damned indoor garden in her dining room.

Quoting turtle68:

its a weed LOL...you dont need a green thumb :-)

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting turtle68:

PestPatti
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I would want one, as long as I didn't have to supply the goods.    I wonder if it could resemble the "new" coke vending machine.. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting turtle68:

Even though it's legal for recreational use in Washington State, it will still be ILLEGAL to grow your own. It'll take the state about another year to decide how they're going to deal with it and regulate it, etc. So far, they've broken it down into 3 steps: growing; processing and selling and have put a 25% tax on each step. All those growers; processors and sellers are going to be making a proft so, while I have no idea how much the stuff costs, I can imagine the cost will rise considerably with all the added tax. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find the state spending just as much as they do now attempting to find those who decide to grow their own and stop them from doing so. Then there will be those who either don't want to pay that tax or cannot afford to and they will probably continue to go to their trusted dealer who won't be charging all that tax.

They would have been better off legalizing it for med purposes only and would have had a much better chance of regulating it to at least some degree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)