Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dad drinking, Mom pregnant. Should he respect her? S/o Edit

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
  • 144 Replies

Poll

Question: Should dad have to give up alcohol while mom is pregnant?

Options:

Yes. If she can't drink then he shouldn't either.

He shouldn't have to give it up but out of respect he shouldn't drink in front of her or at least be discreet about it .

No. He's not the one who is pregnant. He can drink as much as he wants. She'll just have to deal with it.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 117

View Results

I find it interesting that many of you are responding with things you can't do but don't mind that your significant other does. That's all fine and dandy  but in no way compares to this OP.

Instead I'd love for you to tell me about something that bothers you to the point of tears, that your significant other does anyways with no regard to your feelings and why it's acceptable.

This is a spin off the other post.

Mom and dad each enjoy a few drinks. Socially, a glass of wine after a hard day, ect. Now mom is pregnant and can't drink but dad continues too. She doesn't think it's fair.

What's your opinion?

Does she deserve his respect? Or is he simply a grown man who can do what he wants?

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:01 PM
4 moms liked this

I never expected people to not drink in front of me because I was pregnant.  It is just ridiculous.

Evenstar.
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM
7 moms liked this
I think if you find it difficult to not drink when other people are for 9 months you must have a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Not people. Her husband.

Quoting Peanutx3:

I never expected people to not drink in front of me because I was pregnant.  It is just ridiculous.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Does he also have a problem because he can't abstain from at least drinking in front of her for 9 months?

Quoting Evenstar.:

I think if you find it difficult to not drink when other people are for 9 months you must have a problem.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
4 moms liked this
Uh, if I'm on a diet, can I ask people not to eat donuts in my presence?
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I understand.  It doesn't change my answer.  I just made it broader.  I didn't have a problem with Matt drinking in front of me when I couldn't drink.  I think like the other poster said if you have a problem with it then maybe you have a drinking problem.  You being the general you.

Quoting paganbaby:

Not people. Her husband.

Quoting Peanutx3:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

If you're diabetic would it be fair for your husband to stuff his face with doughnuts in front of you?

Quoting stringtheory:

Uh, if I'm on a diet, can I ask people not to eat donuts in my presence?

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Maybe he does but I think this is just a completely silly thing to ask a husband to do.

Quoting paganbaby:

Does he also have a problem because he can't abstain from at least drinking in front of her for 9 months?

Quoting Evenstar.:

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

That may be true but can you concede that not everyone feels the same way?

Now because she does have a problem with it, do you feel it would be prudent for him to at least compromise?

Quoting Peanutx3:

I understand.  It doesn't change my answer.  I just made it broader.  I didn't have a problem with Matt drinking in front of me when I couldn't drink.  I think like the other poster said if you have a problem with it then maybe you have a drinking problem.  You being the general you.

Quoting paganbaby:

Not people. Her husband.

Quoting Peanutx3:

baquick
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I can't stand seeing "3 more months and I can finally have a beer again!" Or "pregnancy sucks, I want a beer!" On FB. I've actually deleted a couple for that (and I don't really talk to them anyway).

I encouraged my DF to OT while I was pregnant "go! While you still can!" But if I had asked him not to, he would not go.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)