Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The backlash to al-Jazeera begins

Posted by   + Show Post

The backlash to al-Jazeera begins

The backlash to al-Jazeera has begun: Accuracy in Media, the conservative watchdog group, has labeled the network a "Homeland Security threat" and is calling for a congressional probe into the "controversial operations of foreign propaganda channel" following its acquisition of Current TV this week.

Meanwhile, the Anti-Defamation League has announced it has ongoing concerns about the Qatari-owned network, due to “a troubling record” of giving "virulent anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic extremists access to its airwaves."

Al-Jazeera has long faced charges of anti-Americanism and even anti-Semitism from conservatives and pro-Israel groups, but it's English-language programming has received praise from politicians on both sides of the spectrum, especially during its coverage of the Arab Spring.

The New York Times editorial board today wrote that despite concerns of impartiality, "Al Jazeera could bring an important international perspective to American audiences and should be given a chance to prove itself commercially...," following Time Warner Cable's decision to drop Current TV after the acquisition. Fox News host Bill O'Reilly, who described the network as "anti-American," also said he was "not for censoring al-Jazeera."

The right sees it differently. Accuracy in Media's Cliff Kincaid today called on the new House Homeland Security Committee "to examine how Al Jazeera’s anti-American programming is seeking to gain a dangerous foothold in the United States through the acquisition of Al Gore’s Current TV cable channel."

Kincaid said Al Jazeera’s U.S. ambitions pose “an unacceptable danger to American citizens by further adding to the potential for home-grown Jihadists inspired by Al Jazeera’s inflammatory programming.”

The Anti-Defamation League was more tempered in its press release: "Al Jazeera, whose major broadcast focus is in the Arab world, has a troubling record and history that is very disturbing, particularly in its Arabic language broadcasts," Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director, said in a statement. "It has exploited and exaggerated the Arab-Israel conflict in a heavy-handed and propagandistic manner, and always at the expense of Israel, while giving all manner of virulent anti-Israel and even anti-Semitic extremists access to its airwaves."

"However, in its English version lately Al Jazeera has toned down its anti-Israel propaganda," he continued. "Yet it continues to be of great concern. We will be watching and monitoring the broadcasts as they become available to a much wider audience in the United States."

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Replies (201-204):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Ridiculous.  And people don't even WANT to hear this.  Thanks for posting these details...I had no idea of this angle.  

But if you talk about this I guess you are a terrorist, according to some posters here.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Also Isreal has come out and said any profits due to the Palestinians they will hold, as the Palestinians would use the money to buy weapons against Isreal. Soooooo where is there really a great urgency to come to an agreement? Really? Isreal holds the money. They have approved 3000 more illegal settlements in Gaza. They hold the money, are taking control of the land that holds the mineral rights. We back them. People wonder why some countries in the Middle East aren't happy with the US. If only people would watch this station and see a more international view. Peace isn't coming to that region anytime soon while they are making grabs for mineral rights. I don't want to see American blood shed, or anyone's blood shed over this. Most people don't know this though. It is such a shame. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Exactly.  That is exactly the kind of information that is never published or discussed here.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard one story from our media an the US, and have heard more details and information that completely changes things from an international source like Al Jazeera.  It is not saying too much to say that it is one of the premier news sources in the entire world, and certainly one of the few reliable (not state censored) sources of news in the Arab world.  

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

We are admitting it here, we are marked forever! I share things from their website on my facebook page. I told my friends and family if Time Warner refuses to air them you might not want to go to them for your news. We are sooooo involved in the Middle East. Some countries don't like the US. Well we dabble over there. Look at the Levitan Basin. Largest natural gas discovery in a decade. They also found oil. Several countries own mineral rights.Isreal and the Palestinians own rights. Palestinians own the rights because of Gaza. Now we have 3000 approved illegal settlements for Gaza. Israel controls Gaza they get all the rights. Bingo! There ya have it!  This can cause war you know. I don't want my son donning a military uniform for oil or natural gas. America needs to step up and stop these illegal settlements. They won't because we are an energy hungry nation that needs friends. Sigh. So we all better NOT watch news coming out of the middle east and be informed.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I read the   Al Jazerra website all the time, hubs watches the online Al Jazeera in Arabic quite a bit.  It is really a very good news source, with committed journalists and high quality work. 

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I have a friend on facebook that is a photographer in the middle east. The pics coming out of Eygpt were something else in regards to the extension of presidential powers. His photography is powerful. Yes, I watch the English version or do searches regarding countries and topics . It will be interesting to watch it here in the US on TV.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I have been called one before...just by virtue of being married to an Egyptian.  The fact that I see things more objectively makes me a sypathizer.  I HAVE been to the mosque on numerous occassions, you know.  lol

Quoting muslimahpj:

Quoting stacymomof2:

All this for Al jazeera?  I HIGHLY DOUBT any of the people calling it a "terrorist" network have ever even read anything from their site r seen any programming.

However I have a sneaking suspicion that someone so negatively biased without having any real information would not be able to comprehend what they are seeing anyone.  Any detail that would contradict what Breitbart of Fox says would be seen as untrue.  LMAO

Now you will be a terrorist supporter to. lol

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I agree. When they report on this channel,60% will be US news and the rest the middle east. It won't all  be middle eastern news. So people can watch a different view of US news, like BBC does a different take on US news. We have controlled news here, I don't kid myself. You are right, take the good with the bad and the ugly. Be informed.

Quoting turtle68:

IMO...you have to take the good with the bad and ugly.  If citizens learn of the ugly there is hope for change.  But if they arent willing to even see themselves as others do then no change will occur.

Al Jazeera IMO gives it as it is....their journalists are from the countries that they report from which IMO again makes it more credible.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I wish it were on here. You are lucky.

Quoting turtle68:

I really thought Al Jazeera was on cable in the US...its part of our cable package here along with both.  I love their news coverages of everything around the world.

Quoting stacymomof2:

I read the   Al Jazerra website all the time, hubs watches the online Al Jazeera in Arabic quite a bit.  It is really a very good news source, with committed journalists and high quality work. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Its only going to be two areas on the news?  Here, Al Jazeera has news coverage from all around the world, they do have specials on things that are of special interest, for example when the US elections were happening it was mainly all about that with some little bits of news in between but more often than not they flit around the world covering what is going on there and have more indepth coverage on that particular issue.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I agree. When they report on this channel,60% will be US news and the rest the middle east. It won't all  be middle eastern news. So people can watch a different view of US news, like BBC does a different take on US news. We have controlled news here, I don't kid myself. You are right, take the good with the bad and the ugly. Be informed.

Quoting turtle68:

IMO...you have to take the good with the bad and ugly.  If citizens learn of the ugly there is hope for change.  But if they arent willing to even see themselves as others do then no change will occur.

Al Jazeera IMO gives it as it is....their journalists are from the countries that they report from which IMO again makes it more credible.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Quoting turtle68:

I really thought Al Jazeera was on cable in the US...its part of our cable package here along with both.  I love their news coverages of everything around the world.

Quoting stacymomof2:

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Ok maybe it is 60% news from other countries, and 40% from the Middle East. Either way I hope my company carries it. 

Quoting turtle68:

Its only going to be two areas on the news?  Here, Al Jazeera has news coverage from all around the world, they do have specials on things that are of special interest, for example when the US elections were happening it was mainly all about that with some little bits of news in between but more often than not they flit around the world covering what is going on there and have more indepth coverage on that particular issue.

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN