Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being an atheist isn't really a choice.

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
  • 405 Replies
27 moms liked this

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM

b          u          m          p

PortiaRose
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Because i have had faith in PEOPLE and it work out, so i know that i CAN believe something without seeing it. And you have to frame your idea of God correctly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:32 PM
12 moms liked this

I'm envious of people who find faith or have faith, especially blind faith. I lost it a long time ago and my inquisitive nature won't allow me to cling to any ideas of God. I feel like the odd-man-out when it comes to religion and faith.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Hey now, Santa Claus is real. ;)

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Good post by the way.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Because the only way you get the proof is after you believe.

The world says that you see it, then believe it.  God says to believe it, THEN see it. 

Aivlys_
by Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this
The Easter bunny and Santa Clause are not the same thing as GOD! I don't have faith in them at all, you just can't compare. Pure ignorance really... Guess you were bored... O.o
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM
3 moms liked this

Hey, I believe in Santa.. 

well, that is because he is the All Father. :D

Anyway, I understand what you are saying. Good post

AleaKat
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM
5 moms liked this
Same here. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. Do many things just don't add up to me I. The whole God/ religion department .
"Not for us to question" just seems like such a cop out to me.
My grandmother is very religious and I try to look to her for guidance but I always just end up feeling like a crappy person it always ends very awkwardly . I've tried several different faiths and churches and nothing ever clicks. Maybe I'm too logical- I like to think I have an open mind to things.
I love the thought if heaven and being with my children in an afterlife but I don't think it's right to praise God out of fear of going to hell or whatever...

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I'm envious of people who find faith or have faith, especially blind faith. I lost it a long time ago and my inquisitive nature won't allow me to cling to any ideas of God. I feel like the odd-man-out when it comes to religion and faith.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie92
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM
6 moms liked this
How is it ignorance to ask if people if they can just start believeing in people or things that have many stories but no proof of existing? lets put it a different way, can you just switch to believeing in zuse, aries or many Gods instead of just your Christian one?

Quoting Aivlys_:

The Easter bunny and Santa Clause are not the same thing as GOD! I don't have faith in them at all, you just can't compare. Pure ignorance really... Guess you were bored... O.o

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)