Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being an atheist isn't really a choice.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (101-110):
glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this

really? neither has proof of existence therefore it is very comparable.

Quoting Aivlys_:

The Easter bunny and Santa Clause are not the same thing as GOD! I don't have faith in them at all, you just can't compare. Pure ignorance really... Guess you were bored... O.o

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM
I like this. I haven't read all the replies but it's how I've always felt. I just say I'm not hardwired for faith.

Quoting futureshock:

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
norwgnwood
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm the same about fungi! Man, why don't we just try harder to like it! We must suck at life. Darn.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I can't stand the smell, texture or taste of any of it!!

Quoting norwgnwood:

Omg! You don't like seafood?! For shame! I'll take my mushroom aversion over that any day!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Agreed. Some aspects of my life would be easier if I liked seafood, for example, but I just plain can't. Not won't ... CAN'T.

Quoting norwgnwood:

I still don't think its a choice. After years of research I just can't believe. I'm not choosing not to. Kind of like mushrooms. I really wish I liked them. I've tried them cooked in various ways but I just can't stand them. I don't choose to dislike them, I just do.

Quoting AMBG825:

Most non-christians I know have made a conscious choice. That includes atheists. They have read the Bible, the Koran, the Torah. They have gone to church after church after church and talked to people of various religious faiths. After much research and soul searching they decide that being a Christian is not for them. Some lean toward a Pagan religion. Others go with no religion at all. Either way, it most certainly is a conscious choice.

Now most Christians I have met, both in person and online, have NEVER made a conscious choice. They were raised in religion and have not really explored anything other than what they have been taught. They may have researched other sects of their own religion but they have never expored other religions or even what atheists actually believe in. Most Christians I've met, both in person and online, don't even know the difference between agnosticism and atheism.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I see what you're saying and I agree.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting ashleyrenee24:

I'm not envious of people who believe in a deity at all and I'm glad I let such ideas go. With that said, being an atheist is quite lonely.

I would love to believe that Heaven exists and that my relatives will meet me there.   I am not envious of other people who believe this, but I wish I could share their belief in some aspects.

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting AMBG825:

Well yeah. You do kind of choose to dislike mushrooms. You've tried them multiple times and still don't like them. That is as much of a choice as anything else you do. You probably could suspend your dislike for them if you had enough desire to do so.

No, that's like saying there are no atheists in foxholes. If she was starving, you may say she might eat them, but she could just as well puke from putting them in her mouth.

A man of faith will yell "oh god!" Or whomever, while the atheist will yell "oh shit!"

You can't make a person have faith, just like you can't make some one love you. Faith and love are emotions. You don't choose your emotions you feel, you simply choose how to handle them.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM
3 moms liked this
Green peppers.

I don't want any of my food in the same kitchen as a cut bell pepper if I have any say in the matter. Yes, I can taste it, even if you take it out. I can taste it if they were kept near each other too long.

Ladies, I'm not a liar by trade and don't like it in general but I'll admit that it has made my life much easier by just claiming to be allergic to them. There is no "learning" to like it. I might learn to choke it down if starving to death but I wouldn't like it.

Quoting norwgnwood:

I'm the same about fungi! Man, why don't we just try harder to like it! We must suck at life. Darn.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I can't stand the smell, texture or taste of any of it!!

Quoting norwgnwood:

Omg! You don't like seafood?! For shame! I'll take my mushroom aversion over that any day!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Agreed. Some aspects of my life would be easier if I liked seafood, for example, but I just plain can't. Not won't ... CAN'T.

Quoting norwgnwood:

I still don't think its a choice. After years of research I just can't believe. I'm not choosing not to. Kind of like mushrooms. I really wish I liked them. I've tried them cooked in various ways but I just can't stand them. I don't choose to dislike them, I just do.

Quoting AMBG825:

Most non-christians I know have made a conscious choice. That includes atheists. They have read the Bible, the Koran, the Torah. They have gone to church after church after church and talked to people of various religious faiths. After much research and soul searching they decide that being a Christian is not for them. Some lean toward a Pagan religion. Others go with no religion at all. Either way, it most certainly is a conscious choice.

Now most Christians I have met, both in person and online, have NEVER made a conscious choice. They were raised in religion and have not really explored anything other than what they have been taught. They may have researched other sects of their own religion but they have never expored other religions or even what atheists actually believe in. Most Christians I've met, both in person and online, don't even know the difference between agnosticism and atheism.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
parentalrights1
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Fuck nasty ass seafood. Beef and chicken is where it's at
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I think you can choose to believe.

If you don't believe, you don't.  Trust me on this, I have tried.  I tried and tried and tried to feel what you should feel and believe it and pray and think about it and.....nothing.

You can't force what you don't feel.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Many Christians claim those who say they do not share their beliefs are just "rebelling". I honestly think some of them truly are so arrogant that they really do think that everybody believes as they do but that some of us choose not to acknowledge it.

I hate that. Can't count how many times I've been told I'm not a Christian because I don't want to follow their gods rules. Rules have nothing to do with it, the whole deity idea make no sense to me.

Apparently, according to a Christian on CM, one of the books in the Bible written by an apostle, Paul I think, states that everyone knows the truth but some choose not to acknowledge it. I think that's where some Christians get the rebellion thing from but it's arrogant as hell, IMO.

I am so glad you said this!  You just reminded me of another thing that irks me about this whole topic. 

Can't count how many times I've been told I'm not a Christian because I don't want to follow their gods rules. Rules have nothing to do with it, the whole deity idea make no sense to me.

It really is annoying. If I believed their god existed, I'd still be Christian.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)