Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being an atheist isn't really a choice.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (111-120):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM
3 moms liked this
Me too. If you seek an epiphany for years and get none of the warm fuzzies nor even the cold pricklies for that matter, shouldn't others accept that you gave it the college try and it didn't work? I'm too old to fake anything so let's not even bring up acting like I believe until the indoctrination takes old. Well I always have been too something to fake.
Anyway

It's like that damn footprints poem that claims to have only one set of footprints in the sand bc god was carrying the guy. Gyah! That drives me out of my skull because the guy still felt abandoned and alone when his life sucked. That makes about as much sense as Job to me.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I think you can choose to believe.

If you don't believe, you don't.  Trust me on this, I have tried.  I tried and tried and tried to feel what you should feel and believe it and pray and think about it and.....nothing.

You can't force what you don't feel.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Green peppers.

I don't want any of my food in the same kitchen as a cut bell pepper if I have any say in the matter. Yes, I can taste it, even if you take it out. I can taste it if they were kept near each other too long.

Ladies, I'm not a liar by trade and don't like it in general but I'll admit that it has made my life much easier by just claiming to be allergic to them. There is no "learning" to like it. I might learn to choke it down if starving to death but I wouldn't like it.

Quoting norwgnwood:

I'm the same about fungi! Man, why don't we just try harder to like it! We must suck at life. Darn.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

I can't stand the smell, texture or taste of any of it!!

Quoting norwgnwood:

Omg! You don't like seafood?! For shame! I'll take my mushroom aversion over that any day!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Agreed. Some aspects of my life would be easier if I liked seafood, for example, but I just plain can't. Not won't ... CAN'T.

Quoting norwgnwood:

I still don't think its a choice. After years of research I just can't believe. I'm not choosing not to. Kind of like mushrooms. I really wish I liked them. I've tried them cooked in various ways but I just can't stand them. I don't choose to dislike them, I just do.

Quoting AMBG825:

Most non-christians I know have made a conscious choice. That includes atheists. They have read the Bible, the Koran, the Torah. They have gone to church after church after church and talked to people of various religious faiths. After much research and soul searching they decide that being a Christian is not for them. Some lean toward a Pagan religion. Others go with no religion at all. Either way, it most certainly is a conscious choice.

Now most Christians I have met, both in person and online, have NEVER made a conscious choice. They were raised in religion and have not really explored anything other than what they have been taught. They may have researched other sects of their own religion but they have never expored other religions or even what atheists actually believe in. Most Christians I've met, both in person and online, don't even know the difference between agnosticism and atheism.

I read where you wrote green peppers, smelled them and wrinkled my nose. I'm with you, I don't want them anywhere near my food because you can taste them from afar.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

It really isn't. I have tried and tried. 2012 was the worst year of my life and I tried to pray just for comfort and peace, tried to believe that my mom was in a better, loving place and I would be with her again someday.

I just can't.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

I don't think you really are getting this.  If you are a believer, stop believing right now.  Can you do it?

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
they were/are Gods. Are you saying i dont have faith cause i point out other faiths and beliefs? thats funny and sad, maybe you need to understand faith a little better. Just because its not your belief or faith doesnt make it any less true to the believers then your faith and beliefs are to you.

Quoting Aivlys_:

It is ignorance to compare the Easter bunny and Santa clause to GOD... and now Greek MYTHOLOGY... LOL. Come back when you understand what Faith means. Never mind.... I will rather ignore your lack of Faith. :)

Quoting pixie92:

How is it ignorance to ask if people if they can just start believeing in people or things that have many stories but no proof of existing? lets put it a different way, can you just switch to believeing in zuse, aries or many Gods instead of just your Christian one?

Quoting Aivlys_:

The Easter bunny and Santa Clause are not the same thing as GOD! I don't have faith in them at all, you just can't compare. Pure ignorance really... Guess you were bored... O.o

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting specialwingz:

I will explain it in terms that everyone understands.
Do you love you DH?
Did you choose to love him?
You could have chosen to love a far richer man, like bill gates.
Did you "fall in love" or make the effort to love him?

Faith is an emotion, like love, you do not choose to feel it. You either do, or you don't. And not everyone will "fall in love" with the same religion, some never do.

What is the choice, is acting on that feeling. Do you feel the faith, but still disbelieve? Do you say I believe, but never truly can because there is no faith? Telling an atheist to suck it up and just go to church, is the same as telling your DD to suck it up and marry a man she does not love.

That's how it works.
alexakaym
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I grew up in Sunday School, then sent away to a Catholic High School, and not because of behavior. I was quite nerdy indeed, 4.2 but the entire time, I questioned everything. None of it made sense to me, I wanted it to, it seemed to make things easier, but just because it wa sthat way didn't mean I could. Through much research, debates with Religious Professors, Priests, and Pastors from various kinds of churches, I just came to the conclusion that I could never convince myself of the latter. I am totally with you on this.

cueballsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Quoting Friday:

It really isn't. I have tried and tried. 2012 was the worst year of my life and I tried to pray just for comfort and peace, tried to believe that my mom was in a better, loving place and I would be with her again someday. I just can't.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I just wanted to offer condolences, grief is hard to take on regardless of what you believe or don't. I hope you find or have found something or someone to help you heal.
alexakaym
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM

I even at points sought out help from religious help lines and what not because I though something was wrong with, as Christians said I was either "scared" to have faith, or I had "evil" in me, lol. Everytime I sought out info when I was younger they would start preaching to me and it just seemed liek every time it made less and less sense. It was so much less frustrating when I accepted it never will.

Quoting alexakaym:

I grew up in Sunday School, then sent away to a Catholic High School, and not because of behavior. I was quite nerdy indeed, 4.2 but the entire time, I questioned everything. None of it made sense to me, I wanted it to, it seemed to make things easier, but just because it wa sthat way didn't mean I could. Through much research, debates with Religious Professors, Priests, and Pastors from various kinds of churches, I just came to the conclusion that I could never convince myself of the latter. I am totally with you on this.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Quoting cueballsmom:

Quoting Friday:

It really isn't. I have tried and tried. 2012 was the worst year of my life and I tried to pray just for comfort and peace, tried to believe that my mom was in a better, loving place and I would be with her again someday. I just can't.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I just wanted to offer condolences, grief is hard to take on regardless of what you believe or don't. I hope you find or have found something or someone to help you heal.

Thank you. I have my husband to give me strength and my kids to keep me smiling(mostly) and looking forward. Plus some awesome online friends and a concerned doggy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN