Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Being an atheist isn't really a choice.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (201-210):
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting specialwingz:

If I chose to, yes.  But, I choose not to.

Again, everything one does is a matter of choice.

An alcoholic believes they are not alcoholics.  Doesn't make that person any less of an alcoholic.

I am an adult.  I know Santa isn't real.  But, that doesn't make him less real for kids who believe.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

But can you MAKE YOURSELF believe What they believe? In your heart, could you choose to honestly and fully BELIEVE it yo be unwavering truth?

Quoting specialwingz:

That's where my choice comes in...I choose not to be that way.

Quoting priceless3238:

I will ask you the same as I have been asking others 

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all? Could you make yourself want it badly enough to believe the evil shit that they spew? 

Quoting specialwingz:

I can do whatever I put my mind to.  Anyone can.  It's a matter of how badly they want to do it.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I don't think you really are getting this.  If you are a believer, stop believing right now.  Can you do it?

Children believe in Santa because they are told that Santa is real by the same people who tell them other stuff is real and it turns out to be true.

Children stop believing in Santa when they find out they have been misled.

People who have true faith that God exists talk about how that "feels".  It isn't a head thing, it's a heart thing.

How can you "choose" to have a heart thing?  Emotions are not on command, at least not in my world.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Actually, there really isn't a question to me in that portion.  It's more of a statement made by you with a question mark, making it seem you really aren't certain of yourself.  You really didn't ask ME a question in that mess.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Of course I get that believing in something doesn't necessarily make it true.  The same as NOT believing doesn't make something non-existent.

Yes, I know non-belief doesn't make God untrue.

What about my other question?

And further, my assertion that belief is an emotion, a feeling, and just as you can't force yourself to love someone you don't, you can't force yourself to believe?

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

Actually, there really isn't a question to me in that portion.  It's more of a statement made by you with a question mark, making it seem you really aren't certain of yourself.  You really didn't ask ME a question in that mess.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Of course I get that believing in something doesn't necessarily make it true.  The same as NOT believing doesn't make something non-existent.

And further, my assertion that belief is an emotion, a feeling, and just as you can't force yourself to love someone you don't, you can't force yourself to believe?

I see a question there.  It isn't a "mess".  I will simplify.

Do you think belief is an action or an emotion?

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

But, one has to listen with their head in order to communicate with the heart.

People aren't born believing in God.  It's put into their heads.  It's no different than Santa.  Kids are pumped with religion and have the choice to continue to believe or not, oncce they become adults.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

An alcoholic believes they are not alcoholics.  Doesn't make that person any less of an alcoholic.

I am an adult.  I know Santa isn't real.  But, that doesn't make him less real for kids who believe.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

But can you MAKE YOURSELF believe What they believe? In your heart, could you choose to honestly and fully BELIEVE it yo be unwavering truth?

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all? Could you make yourself want it badly enough to believe the evil shit that they spew? 

Quoting specialwingz:

I can do whatever I put my mind to.  Anyone can.  It's a matter of how badly they want to do it.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I don't think you really are getting this.  If you are a believer, stop believing right now.  Can you do it?

Children believe in Santa because they are told that Santa is real by the same people who tell them other stuff is real and it turns out to be true.

People who have true faith that God exists talk about how that "feels".  It isn't a head thing, it's a heart thing.

How can you "choose" to have a heart thing?  Emotions are not on command, at least not in my world.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Belief is an action.  We are not born believing in anything.  We are taught as children what others want us to believe.  As adults, we have the choice to continue to believe or to change our beliefs.

Quoting romalove:continue to believe 

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

But, one has to listen with their head in order to communicate with the heart.

People aren't born believing in God.  It's put into their heads.  It's no different than Santa.  Kids are pumped with religion and have the choice to continue to believe or not, oncce they become adults.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

Not really.  People stop believing in Santa because they are told he doesn't exist, or the people who told the Santa lie in the first place cop to the fact that it's a lie, or they find that the Santa presents are really from Mom and Dad and hidden in the attic.....

People are taught religion and God but they either feel belief or don't.  If you doubt that, listen to the people in this thread who have said they were taught religion and raised with belief but they couldn't ever really feel that belief and that made them doubt the religion and they ended up being atheist.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

Belief is an action.  We are not born believing in anything.  We are taught as children what others want us to believe.  As adults, we have the choice to or to change our beliefs.

Quoting romalove:continue to believe 

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Then we disagree even on the issue of what belief is.

I find belief to be an emotion, a feeling, not an action.

I don't think you can force an emotion of any kind.  

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Rude.

Someone believing differently than you is not ignorant.

Quoting Aivlys_:

The Easter bunny and Santa Clause are not the same thing as GOD! I don't have faith in them at all, you just can't compare. Pure ignorance really... Guess you were bored... O.o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Rude and arrogant much? If You do not CHOOSE to be civil and mature With people who do not agree with you I will CHOOSE not to give you any more of my energy.

Quoting christina0607:

Why not, if thats what I wanted to do with my life. 

If thats what you think happened, lol....I don't agree with you. 

I guess I know that I have complete control over my life and what I want to do with it. I'm sorry that you don't feel you do. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So right now, you think you could just make a conscious decision to BELIEVE (not pay lip service to, but whole heartedly believe) what they preach? Children do not CHOOSE what they are Taught Is truth. I did not CHOOSE to stop having faith in The Christian GoD I was taught, observation and experiences just, over time, led me to no longer believe what I was Taught. I could not CHOOSE to Believe it again, I could only CHOOSE to play the part With No Real faith behind it.

Quoting christina0607:

Of course...faith is a taught emotion. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You could choose to join the church but could you have faith In and BELIEVE what they preach?

Quoting christina0607:

Of course I could. In fact I choose right now not to follow that choice. I suppose if I wanted to I could...right? 

Tothink you are not in control at all of your belief system is silly. You have a brain, right? you have the freedom to choose what you do in life, right? Do you really think that people are born to believe certain things? 

Quoting priceless3238:

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all?

Quoting christina0607:

I don't agree at all. I wasn't born an atheist just as no one is born a christian or Buddhist. 

I was raised a Christian, Catholic to be exact. I went to Sunday school and preformed all of my sacraments like a good little catholic. However as I got older I realized I had the choice to believe how I wanted. 

I looked at all the evidence and decided this god thing just wasn't for me. While others may choose to go on to other religions or stay with the Catholic faith. 

I think it's rather insulting to think people don't make choices about whether to believe or what to believe. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM

lol..you keep asking me the same question, you must realize how annoying that is. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Rude and arrogant much? If You do not CHOOSE to be civil and mature With people who do not agree with you I will CHOOSE not to give you any more of my energy.

Quoting christina0607:

Why not, if thats what I wanted to do with my life. 

If thats what you think happened, lol....I don't agree with you. 

I guess I know that I have complete control over my life and what I want to do with it. I'm sorry that you don't feel you do. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

So right now, you think you could just make a conscious decision to BELIEVE (not pay lip service to, but whole heartedly believe) what they preach? Children do not CHOOSE what they are Taught Is truth. I did not CHOOSE to stop having faith in The Christian GoD I was taught, observation and experiences just, over time, led me to no longer believe what I was Taught. I could not CHOOSE to Believe it again, I could only CHOOSE to play the part With No Real faith behind it.

Quoting christina0607:

Of course...faith is a taught emotion. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You could choose to join the church but could you have faith In and BELIEVE what they preach?

Quoting christina0607:

Of course I could. In fact I choose right now not to follow that choice. I suppose if I wanted to I could...right? 

Tothink you are not in control at all of your belief system is silly. You have a brain, right? you have the freedom to choose what you do in life, right? Do you really think that people are born to believe certain things? 

Quoting priceless3238:

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all?

Quoting christina0607:

I don't agree at all. I wasn't born an atheist just as no one is born a christian or Buddhist. 

I was raised a Christian, Catholic to be exact. I went to Sunday school and preformed all of my sacraments like a good little catholic. However as I got older I realized I had the choice to believe how I wanted. 

I looked at all the evidence and decided this god thing just wasn't for me. While others may choose to go on to other religions or stay with the Catholic faith. 

I think it's rather insulting to think people don't make choices about whether to believe or what to believe. 

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured