Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being an atheist isn't really a choice.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am not speaking for everyone, let's get that out of the way right now.

People cannot just flick a switch and start believing in a God.  I wonder if some religious people think being an atheist is something everyone can willingly just change about themselves? 

Personally, I would love to believe in an afterlife, in an all loving God, and in Heaven.  I would LOVE to see my relatives again who have passed away.  However, how can I just start believing these things?  Could you just start believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny?  It is the exact same thing.

by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Replies (211-220):
specialwingz
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this

They are athiest because they chose not to believe.  Their heart doesn't feel it because their brains say they haven't seen anything to believve in.

I am astounded by the number of people who believe the human body has an autopilot button.  LMAO.  There isn't anything one can do without the brain having processed it first.  

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

But, one has to listen with their head in order to communicate with the heart.

People aren't born believing in God.  It's put into their heads.  It's no different than Santa.  Kids are pumped with religion and have the choice to continue to believe or not, oncce they become adults.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

If I chose to, yes.  But, I choose not to.

Again, everything one does is a matter of choice.

An alcoholic believes they are not alcoholics.  Doesn't make that person any less of an alcoholic.

I am an adult.  I know Santa isn't real.  But, that doesn't make him less real for kids who believe.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

But can you MAKE YOURSELF believe What they believe? In your heart, could you choose to honestly and fully BELIEVE it yo be unwavering truth?

Quoting specialwingz:

That's where my choice comes in...I choose not to be that way.

Quoting priceless3238:

I will ask you the same as I have been asking others 

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all? Could you make yourself want it badly enough to believe the evil shit that they spew? 

Quoting specialwingz:

I can do whatever I put my mind to.  Anyone can.  It's a matter of how badly they want to do it.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I don't think you really are getting this.  If you are a believer, stop believing right now.  Can you do it?

Children believe in Santa because they are told that Santa is real by the same people who tell them other stuff is real and it turns out to be true.

Children stop believing in Santa when they find out they have been misled.

People who have true faith that God exists talk about how that "feels".  It isn't a head thing, it's a heart thing.

How can you "choose" to have a heart thing?  Emotions are not on command, at least not in my world.

Not really.  People stop believing in Santa because they are told he doesn't exist, or the people who told the Santa lie in the first place cop to the fact that it's a lie, or they find that the Santa presents are really from Mom and Dad and hidden in the attic.....

People are taught religion and God but they either feel belief or don't.  If you doubt that, listen to the people in this thread who have said they were taught religion and raised with belief but they couldn't ever really feel that belief and that made them doubt the religion and they ended up being atheist.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
You are confusing religion and belief. Religion Is A man made Construct that we can CHOOSE to Follow or not based on what we BELIEVE. Belief comes from our experiences so we can CHOOSE to engage on activities that will IMPACT our beliefs but that is not The same as choosing to believe.

Quoting specialwingz:

An alcoholic believes they are not alcoholics.  Doesn't make that person any less of an alcoholic.

I am an adult.  I know Santa isn't real.  But, that doesn't make him less real for kids who believe.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

But can you MAKE YOURSELF believe What they believe? In your heart, could you choose to honestly and fully BELIEVE it yo be unwavering truth?

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Think about it this way. Lets say that the Westboro baptist church and their beliefs were the only ones around (obviously they are not but just go with it) could you chose to just believe the same things as them? Could you just chose to be a part of that religion when deep down you dont believe it at all? Could you make yourself want it badly enough to believe the evil shit that they spew? 

Quoting specialwingz:

I can do whatever I put my mind to.  Anyone can.  It's a matter of how badly they want to do it.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

It's totally a choice!  You choose to believe or not believe.  It's that simple.

I don't think you really are getting this.  If you are a believer, stop believing right now.  Can you do it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Although anatomically, our brains are the same, still we are all wired a little differently.   For example, my brother and I have many similar traits and share many tastes.  But politically, he is as conservative as I am liberal.  He believes in God, I do not.  I don't believe he made the conscious choice to believe as he does anymore than I did.  

This is similar to the argument whether a person chooses his sexual preference.  If I tried really hard and practiced at it, I suppose there are some women I could be in a physical relationship with.  But in my deepest being, I would always be forcing it - it would not be natural for me.  Such is how I found religion - I was always forcing it upon myself.  When I finally admitted that I thought all of it was bunk, I felt only release and, well, more natural.

Call it a choice or not.  Makes no difference to me.  

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

They are athiest because they chose not to believe.  Their heart doesn't feel it because their brains say they haven't seen anything to believve in.

I am astounded by the number of people who believe the human body has an autopilot button.  LMAO.  There isn't anything one can do without the brain having processed it first.  

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

People aren't born believing in God.  It's put into their heads.  It's no different than Santa.  Kids are pumped with religion and have the choice to continue to believe or not, oncce they become adults.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

Children believe in Santa because they are told that Santa is real by the same people who tell them other stuff is real and it turns out to be true.

People who have true faith that God exists talk about how that "feels".  It isn't a head thing, it's a heart thing.

How can you "choose" to have a heart thing?  Emotions are not on command, at least not in my world.

Not really.  People stop believing in Santa because they are told he doesn't exist, or the people who told the Santa lie in the first place cop to the fact that it's a lie, or they find that the Santa presents are really from Mom and Dad and hidden in the attic.....

People are taught religion and God but they either feel belief or don't.  If you doubt that, listen to the people in this thread who have said they were taught religion and raised with belief but they couldn't ever really feel that belief and that made them doubt the religion and they ended up being atheist.

I'm astounded that you don't understand emotions.

specialwingz
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I choose my emotions quite well.  I was molested by my step-father throughout my childhood while my mother turned a blind eye.  I choose not to hate him for what he did because it is unhealthy to harbor such a destructive emotion.  Therefore, while most people would spend the rest of their life hating someone for the crime, I CHOOSE to have no emotions about it at all.  I CHOSE to remove myself from the environment, walked away and never looked back and live a healthy positive life.  My mother CHOSE to live in denial and to love the man that molested her child.

Yes, everything we do is based on choices.  You just choose to think that emotions rule the brain, when the reality is the brain rules the emotions, and everything else our body does.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Belief is an action.  We are not born believing in anything.  We are taught as children what others want us to believe.  As adults, we have the choice to or to change our beliefs.

Quoting romalove:continue to believe 

Quoting specialwingz:

Actually, there really isn't a question to me in that portion.  It's more of a statement made by you with a question mark, making it seem you really aren't certain of yourself.  You really didn't ask ME a question in that mess.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Of course I get that believing in something doesn't necessarily make it true.  The same as NOT believing doesn't make something non-existent.

Yes, I know non-belief doesn't make God untrue.

What about my other question?

And further, my assertion that belief is an emotion, a feeling, and just as you can't force yourself to love someone you don't, you can't force yourself to believe?

I see a question there.  It isn't a "mess".  I will simplify.

Do you think belief is an action or an emotion?

Then we disagree even on the issue of what belief is.

I find belief to be an emotion, a feeling, not an action.

I don't think you can force an emotion of any kind.  

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

I choose my emotions quite well.  I was molested by my step-father throughout my childhood while my mother turned a blind eye.  I choose not to hate him for what he did because it is unhealthy to harbor such a destructive emotion.  Therefore, while most people would spend the rest of their life hating someone for the crime, I CHOOSE to have no emotions about it at all.  I CHOSE to remove myself from the environment, walked away and never looked back and live a healthy positive life.  My mother CHOSE to live in denial and to love the man that molested her child.

Yes, everything we do is based on choices.  You just choose to think that emotions rule the brain, when the reality is the brain rules the emotions, and everything else our body does.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Belief is an action.  We are not born believing in anything.  We are taught as children what others want us to believe.  As adults, we have the choice to or to change our beliefs.

Quoting romalove:continue to believe 

Quoting specialwingz:

Actually, there really isn't a question to me in that portion.  It's more of a statement made by you with a question mark, making it seem you really aren't certain of yourself.  You really didn't ask ME a question in that mess.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Of course I get that believing in something doesn't necessarily make it true.  The same as NOT believing doesn't make something non-existent.

Yes, I know non-belief doesn't make God untrue.

What about my other question?

And further, my assertion that belief is an emotion, a feeling, and just as you can't force yourself to love someone you don't, you can't force yourself to believe?

I see a question there.  It isn't a "mess".  I will simplify.

Do you think belief is an action or an emotion?

Then we disagree even on the issue of what belief is.

I find belief to be an emotion, a feeling, not an action.

I don't think you can force an emotion of any kind.  

I don't think you understand what disagreeing means.

It doesn't mean that you're right.

It doesn't mean that I'm right.

It means we don't see eye to eye on the issue.

I am sorry you had such a horrible childhood.  I think that may change how you and I process information.

I know (not think, I know) that I do not have the choice to choose my emotions.  I can sometimes (oftentimes, now that I think of it) control them, sometimes not, but I can't choose what they are.

specialwingz
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

A person is born with no belief whatsoever.  It is all taught to us.  We ALL have the choice to change it.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You are confusing religion and belief. Religion Is A man made Construct that we can CHOOSE to Follow or not based on what we BELIEVE. Belief comes from our experiences so we can CHOOSE to engage on activities that will IMPACT our beliefs but that is not The same as choosing to believe.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I was raised Mormon. All through my teenage years I devoutly went to church. I ready bible and book of Mormon. I wanted badly for it all to be true. I wanted to be a part of my family for an eternity. But the more I learned and read the more I knew it was bullshit.

I didn't make a conscious choice to disbelieve. I didn't go in as a skeptic. I simply don't believe it. I've looked into other religions and they all seem pretty closely related with only a handful of of fundamental differences and none of them feel right to me.

At the end of the day I am agnostic. I would love to believe there is a god or goddess or many gods that care about our lives. I simply don't.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'm astounded that you don't realize your brain operates everything, including your emotions.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 5, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting specialwingz:

I'm astounded that you don't realize your brain operates everything, including your emotions.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting priceless3238:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting specialwingz:

I understand how brain works.

And how emotion works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN