Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Catholicism is one of the religions I least understand.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM
  • 321 Replies

Specifically, what I mean is it is the one I least understand why anyone would want to be a part of it.

Quote:

The pope is a social issues guy, more interested in themes like “traditional” family values, gay marriage and abortion than, say, helping the poor. And the Vatican is quick to slap down anyone – but especially any women, and particularly women who have the nerve to think of themselves as equal to men – who focuses on helping the most in need, instead of crusading against abortion and gay people. As far as the Church is concerned, advocating for the equal participation of women is “radical feminism” worthy of condemnation; pushing for legislation that kills gay people is worthy of a blessing.

Yes, that’s correct: just around the same time the pope was drafting his first tweet, he met with Ugandan parliamentary speaker RebeccaKadaga, who had earlier promised to level the death penalty for gays as a “Christmas present” to the Ugandan people (minus, one assumes, the Ugandans who will be murdered because of their sexual orientation). She received a private audience with the pope, and a blessing.

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2012/12/31/the-poppe-and-killing-gay-people/

by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

bum      p

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
12 moms liked this

I am Catholic.  I was raised Baptist and I chose to become a Catholic.  My faith gives me great comfort.

I think the first thing people need to understand is the Church always remains above the people...even the Pope.  People come in evil, corrupt and very fallible versions.  The Church does not...because the Church is Christ.

The Catholic Church is a good fit for me because the values of the Church are the same as mine.  Remember I said the Church...not the crop of people in charge.

Abortion does end a life...there is no way to dress that truth any differently.  The Bible does teach homosexuality is a sin.  This doesn't mean I am picketing abortion clinics or beating up gays in a dark alley.  It means I pray for those who sin...just as I pray for the forgiveness of my own sins...and I pray the Lord will help me to keep my will in check.

I don't consider myself equal to a man...that is like comparing apples to oranges...we don't even share the same body makeup.  Men have their roles and we have ours...sometimes we share these roles and sometimes we don't.  My husband and I have a partnership...but we each have things we do/control to make that work.

I know some women take issue with the role of women in the Church..and that is okay...if it is enough of an issue there are other churches that would be a better fit.  There is no harm or shame in that.

I am sorry this was kind of long...and reading back over it I am a bit frustrated because I cannot express exactly what I feel.  I think the main point I want to get across is that we need to remember the Church is not the people...she is far above that...the Church is Christ.

I can elaborate...try to explain...answer questions....later if someone would like....right now my hound is telling me it is time for our Sunday snooze

areid1023
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

BUMP!

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I think you did a very good job. Religion is a very personal and private discussion "you" have with yourself. Religion or no religion at all is no better than anyone elses and should be chosen by what works for "you." 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I am Catholic.  I was raised Baptist and I chose to become a Catholic.  My faith gives me great comfort.

I think the first thing people need to understand is the Church always remains above the people...even the Pope.  People come in evil, corrupt and very fallible versions.  The Church does not...because the Church is Christ.

The Catholic Church is a good fit for me because the values of the Church are the same as mine.  Remember I said the Church...not the crop of people in charge.

Abortion does end a life...there is no way to dress that truth any differently.  The Bible does teach homosexuality is a sin.  This doesn't mean I am picketing abortion clinics or beating up gays in a dark alley.  It means I pray for those who sin...just as I pray for the forgiveness of my own sins...and I pray the Lord will help me to keep my will in check.

I don't consider myself equal to a man...that is like comparing apples to oranges...we don't even share the same body makeup.  Men have their roles and we have ours...sometimes we share these roles and sometimes we don't.  My husband and I have a partnership...but we each have things we do/control to make that work.

I know some women take issue with the role of women in the Church..and that is okay...if it is enough of an issue there are other churches that would be a better fit.  There is no harm or shame in that.

I am sorry this was kind of long...and reading back over it I am a bit frustrated because I cannot express exactly what I feel.  I think the main point I want to get across is that we need to remember the Church is not the people...she is far above that...the Church is Christ.

I can elaborate...try to explain...answer questions....later if someone would like....right now my hound is telling me it is time for our Sunday snooze

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting futureshock:

Specifically, what I mean is it is the one I least understand why anyone would want to be a part of it.

Most Catholics were raised Catholic.   And they grew up being raised to believe a very specific interpretation of one particular verse from the Bible:

Matthew 16:18

King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

SRUsarahSC
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM
5 moms liked this

ANOTHER negative Catholic post!! And from you!! I'm shocked!!! I'm not debating you, just pointing out that you do this constantly....

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I grew up Catholic. I left the church for a variety of reasons. One of them being how women are treated and the take on social issues. It's pretty wrong. And if the church wants to survive it'll have to bend in the wind on this stuff. 

Also, I never believed that the "church" is Christ. It's an embodiment of a lot of men holding up an ancient institution. It's all man made. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
5 moms liked this

I was raised Catholic. and while I think Christianity is complete bull, you cannot judge the faith on the acts of the Pope. Pope Pius XII actually assisted in the hiding of Nazis after WW2 ended.. but, you cannot say that the belief itself agree with Nazism. 

I cannot remember which pope this was, but one had his predecessor killed in a jail cell, after he had driven the man crazy. (Quite a few hundred years ago) The one who was murdered was a good man... the other... well. 

This new Pope, I do not trust. There is something off about him. However, what he does, does not represent all Catholics, no matter how much he wants it to

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I was raised Catholic but moved to the Episcopal Church. I understand what YSK means about "the Church Is Christ" but I never ever got that feeling from the Catholic Church. I always felt that it was the hierarchy.

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's the thing about Religion. If we understood them all, then there would not be any need for so many and there would be one universal religion as our foundation. 

I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic school for 9 years. I enjoyed theology, however, I have realized that my belief is with Gnosticism due to experiences and just an innate intuition of being. Catholicism, like so many other religions, just didn't capture my belief or essence. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured