Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM
5 moms liked this

why would I take a ride from you?  I've never found myself in a position to take rides from people I do not know and honestly I would probably want to know if you had a gun in the car as I would definitely avoid taking a ride from a stranger with a gun.  

Quoting Christy644:

hypothetically....If I offered you a ride would you take it? Probably. Would you ask if there is a gun in my car? Probably not.

There's 2.

You would never know. So what's more comforting for you? Not knowing or knowing?

Joqui
by Joqui on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't own any guns and I don't usually let my son go over people's home (he is 6) and much less my dd (she is 4). I've allowed Elijah to go on 1 playdate outside of my supervision, aside from that most playdates are done at my home. I have never asked if parents have had a gun in their home. I probably should consider asking.... But how do you even go about doing that? Hey! Yea I'm Elijah's mom nice to meet you... oh... do you own guns?! are they locked up? Can I inspect that? LOL

I'm serious I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Christy644
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM
5 moms liked this
Pretend we know each other. Seriously not like I'm picking you up on the corner. Lol

Hypothetically if you needed a ride from me for any number of reasons. Jesus I'm not trying to kidnap you and sell you into prostitution.

Quoting katy_kay08:

why would I take a ride from you?  I've never found myself in a position to take rides from people I do not know and honestly I would probably want to know if you had a gun in the car as I would definitely avoid taking a ride from a stranger with a gun.  

Quoting Christy644:

hypothetically....If I offered you a ride would you take it? Probably. Would you ask if there is a gun in my car? Probably not.

There's 2.

You would never know. So what's more comforting for you? Not knowing or knowing?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM
3 moms liked this

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if the parents owned guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting
No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM
3 moms liked this
This is not info I would volunteer...but would be truthful if asked. I will not change our gun storage...or lack of. I would understand if they did not want their child to come over....our kids have homes they do not go to
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My answer is essentially the same.  The only way I would accept a ride is if we knew each other well, otherwise I wouldn't be in a position where I needed one.  

The difference is an adult putting themselves in a situation that could be risky and adult putting their children the care of someone that could be risky.  I don't see the two comparisons being really relevant to each other.  

Quoting Christy644:

Pretend we know each other. Seriously not like I'm picking you up on the corner. Lol

Hypothetically if you needed a ride from me for any number of reasons. Jesus I'm not trying to kidnap you and sell you into prostitution.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting Christy644:

There's 2.

Humanoid
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Guns are not what kill. Its the idiots that get ahold of them.

that being said, I am perfectly fine with my son going to to a friends and playing, even if theirs parents own guns.

common sense people. please. Guns protect also.....

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
5 moms liked this

yes, but that doesn't mean a parent knows you aren't an idiot.  

Quoting Humanoid:

Guns are not what kill. Its the idiots that get ahold of them.

that being said, I am perfectly fine with my son going to to a friends and playing, even if theirs parents own guns.

common sense people. please. Guns protect also.....

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

We own many guns. I don't offer it up. If I'm asked I happily answer that we do and that all of the guns have trigger guards that require a key to open, plus the guns are in a safe.

Kitschy
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not own a gun, but I do ask this question before allowing my children at some one's house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured