Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Well....I don't recall addressing my reply directly to you. Only to people who say they won't go out of their way to keep their guns locked away. Guns can be dangerous for small kids. That's why it is up to adults to keep them away from kids. There have been some news items lately about little kids who were able to get their hands on guns and ended up killing their brothers and a few friends.Gun classes stress keeping your firearms locked up and ammo stored in a separate location. That protects families and friends.

Quoting DSamuels:

Really? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that wouldn't care if a visiting child found their gun(s). We don't keep our guns in a safe, but we also don't have them sitting out for children to find them.

My husband didn't get a handgun until our kids were older. The rifles & shotguns were never kept loaded. We do keep a handgun in our room, on his side of the bed, loaded but without a bullet in the chamber. If a child "found" the gun in our room, I'd want to know WTH they were doing snooping in my room.

We are neither irresponsible or disgusting. SMH

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I never asked anyone if they have a gun in the house. Some people I assumed they did, and I could have been totally wrong. Nobody ever asked me, and I don't know what they assumed. If someone didn't want to be in my house because of it, that's okay, they don't have to be in my house.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Humanoid:

Guns are not what kill. Its the idiots that get ahold of them.

that being said, I am perfectly fine with my son going to to a friends and playing, even if theirs parents own guns.

common sense people. please. Guns protect also.....

So children are now idiots? No it's the irresponsible gun owners that keep guns where kids and others that shouldn't have one, have an easy access!

I have never asked a parent if they have a gun in the house.
Humanoid
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Having guns in the house is one thing. Something I see as acceptable.

Having guns not put up, within the reach of kids, not good. 

I agree, it is irresponsible to have a gun not put away out of site.

Kids dont know any better, until they have been taught. We can never assume whether one has been or not. Its much better to be safe than sorry imo.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quoting Healthystart30:

Quoting Humanoid:

Guns are not what kill. Its the idiots that get ahold of them.

that being said, I am perfectly fine with my son going to to a friends and playing, even if theirs parents own guns.

common sense people. please. Guns protect also.....

So children are now idiots? No it's the irresponsible gun owners that keep guns where kids and others that shouldn't have one, have an easy access!

I have never asked a parent if they have a gun in the house.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to comment on or address your comments. 

Here's a hint for you....if you don't want someone to quote and address your comment...don't post one.

slapping forehead

Quoting lga1965:

Well....I don't recall addressing my reply directly to you. Only to people who say they won't go out of their way to keep their guns locked away. Guns can be dangerous for small kids. That's why it is up to adults to keep them away from kids. There have been some news items lately about little kids who were able to get their hands on guns and ended up killing their brothers and a few friends.Gun classes stress keeping your firearms locked up and ammo stored in a separate location. That protects families and friends.

Quoting DSamuels:

Really? I don't know a single responsible gun owner that wouldn't care if a visiting child found their gun(s). We don't keep our guns in a safe, but we also don't have them sitting out for children to find them.

My husband didn't get a handgun until our kids were older. The rifles & shotguns were never kept loaded. We do keep a handgun in our room, on his side of the bed, loaded but without a bullet in the chamber. If a child "found" the gun in our room, I'd want to know WTH they were doing snooping in my room.

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if they guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I just wanted to explain that I was not criticising you. You did already comment and you certainly can again but my post was not specifically addressing only you----get it?You seemed to think it was only for you--you were very defensive.

Quoting DSamuels:

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to comment on or address your comments. 

Here's a hint for you....if you don't want someone to quote and address your comment...don't post one.

slapping forehead

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting lga1965:

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

DanaG70
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

My kids are too old for play dates, in fact, when my kids were little, play dates were a foreign concept. Most people who knew my kids and myself already knew we have guns, so the question was never asked.

If asked, we would have been up front with the fact that we own guns and I never asked anybody if they owned guns, my kids knew from day one that you are not to touch any gun for any reason and to get a adult if one is found.

We have had people not allow their children to come over because we smoke (even though we smoke outside), not because we own guns.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not have a kid and a gun in the same house.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this

No one needs to know about what firearms are in my home but the people who live there. You don't need to be worried about it unless you are trying to break in to my house.

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM
2 moms liked this

That protects families and friends. ... and criminals.

Your idea of what constitutes irresponsible and disgusting don't seem to fit any of the definitions I've ever read ~ or yours are just a passive-aggessive way of calling people more names. I'm all for safety and responsibility, but not catering to paranoia.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting lga1965:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured