Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (341-350):
Amandatoo
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My children are only allowed with people I know personally and I do not know anyone who has guns in there house so this isn't a question that has ever come across my mind.
kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM

It wouldn't bother me if I was asked. It shows they care & are involved. And if I owned a gun & was asked, I would answer honestly.

The ones I question are the ones who feel free to drop their kid off when they don't know the parent (as in a b'day party & a classmate from school) or such.

Amandatoo
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
As I stated above, I don't own any guns....I own Dogs!! :) 4, a 100+ lb German Shepherd, a 60 Rottweiler who does not like people and 2 Border Collies. When we had douchebag neighbor jump our 6 ft privacy fence in 2008 we asked the police what we could about this he said get a Watch Dog. :) We rarely let people inside our house (mainly Craigslist Deals if anyone comes in our house) but when we do I make it perfectly clear that we own 2llarge dogs so they might not want to try anything. I usually have the dogs inside so they can see these dogs aren't people friendly.
my4kids274
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I would answer honestly. 

tansyflower
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:45 AM

not only would i tell them, but i would also have them sign a liability waiver for all the other potentially dangerous stuff like our pond, 4 wheeler ect.  i would want the parent to be FULLY aware of all the things on my property that could cause harm before they left their child with me.

LowryCuisine
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

No I wouldn't tell them, If the ask then yes I will explain. Our guns are hidden in our room and no one goes in there. Even if they did see them the ammo is hidden in a different local than the guns and only DH and I know where it is.

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting deepthinker:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Of course, if they asked I would tell them. My guns remain where they are at all times, I'm not changing my life to accommodate your child. If your kid doesn't know what "no" means or "don't touch" I don't want them in my house anyhow.

I see no point in owning guns for protection if they are not easily accessible if needed.

I wouldn't stop my children from going to someone home who owns guns, but your post sounds a bit scary. It sounds like you just have them sitting around everywhere and they are 

not locked up.  This sounds so irresponsible on so many levels.  Yes no means no, but unless you are telling that child specifically not to touch your guns, how would they know.  They may think it's a toy if it's just laying around especially if they are not living in a household that handles or owns guns, and to just having it laying around period is reckless.  I don't know if it's how this post is worded or what, but this sounds like a dangerous household, and I'm sure no one would be upset if you don't want their child in your house.

None of our guns are just "laying around" prettyirrisponsible of you to assume.

All our guns are rifles or shotguns, set on racks out of reach of children and out of sight, w/ ammo in sleeves on the stocks. (still within easy access for an adult should the occasion arise) Nothing irresponsible about it. My child has been taught gun safety from a young age and knows what he's allowed touch in our home and what he is not allowed t touch. He has his own gun. (bb gun) He knows he i never allowed to touch the guns unless Mom and Dad have given permission and we have our safety equipmenton. (safety glasses, ear plugs etc)

Children who do not listen or follow rules, are not allowed on our home. Children are also not left unattended in our home. The chances of a child getting their hands on our guns and loading them are slim to none, I believe the chances of a break in are higher.

My householdis no more dangerous then any other, do you have dog? Steak knives? Household chemicals? Gasoline? Vehicles in your driveway? A pool? Stairs? A road near your home? Your house is just as dangerous as mine, ad if you leave strangers (or friends) children unattended in your home then your home is more dangerous then mine will ever be. 

I just inboxed you!

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

Does your child have a learning disorder? Come join us!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/118063/

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
That sounds like a really good plan and I like that it was a suggestion from the police. So much better than buying guns and ammo! Good points!

Quoting Amandatoo:

As I stated above, I don't own any guns....I own Dogs!! :) 4, a 100+ lb German Shepherd, a 60 Rottweiler who does not like people and 2 Border Collies. When we had douchebag neighbor jump our 6 ft privacy fence in 2008 we asked the police what we could about this he said get a Watch Dog. :) We rarely let people inside our house (mainly Craigslist Deals if anyone comes in our house) but when we do I make it perfectly clear that we own 2llarge dogs so they might not want to try anything. I usually have the dogs inside so they can see these dogs aren't people friendly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Does your insurance company know about the dogs? Huge liability.

Quoting Amandatoo:

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Yep, was just thinking that. Think it varies by breed and state, but shepards ad rotts and dogs of that nature are almost upposed to be claimed.

Quoting EireLass:

Does your insurance company know about the dogs? Huge liability.

Quoting Amandatoo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured