Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (351-360):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Same thing applies. Nobody belongs in my bedroom but my husband and I.

Quoting katy_kay08:

my concern isn't about the my children wandering but rather the child that lives there showing off.  This is far more likely than the strange kid peeking in your closests.  

Quoting EireLass:

This is actually what I've been thinking about when I read about people NOT allowing kids to go into gun-homes. What kind of kids do these people have that the kids have the right to wander all over the place where they don't belong? Nobody belongs in my bedroom but myself and my husband. Don't people teach their children manners? And the woman about the dogs...if you don't put your dog away, the kid can't come over. How about you teach your child they are NOT to touch a service dog? This is part of what's wrong.....people think their children are angels and do no wrong. So really the choice is you (general) teach your little kid manners, or I do.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

They are out of reach from small hands and children are not left unattended in our home. There is little or no chance of a child getting their hands on a gun, even if they got close my son would tell them not to and come get me or his father immediately if we were not right there. We know where the children are in our home at all times. And no matter the situation, my answer would not change. Children who don't follow rules are not allowed in my home.

Quoting hismommy2010:

It's not just about them not wanting their child in your home if you own a gun. So you are saying your guns are within easy reach - so what if that child that came over grabbed that gun and killed your child? Bet that would change your answer

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Of course, if they asked I would tell them. My guns remain where they are at all times, I'm not changing my life to accommodate your child. If your kid doesn't know what "no" means or "don't touch" I don't want them in my house anyhow.I see no point in owning guns for protection if they are not easily accessible if needed. 

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

So, do you both beleive that a child would be safer at her house w/ a large rotty who "does not like people" then they would at my house w/ guns safely stashed out of reach and out of site? please.....

Quoting lga1965:

That sounds like a really good plan and I like that it was a suggestion from the police. So much better than buying guns and ammo! Good points!

Quoting Amandatoo:

As I stated above, I don't own any guns....I own Dogs!! :) 4, a 100+ lb German Shepherd, a 60 Rottweiler who does not like people and 2 Border Collies. When we had douchebag neighbor jump our 6 ft privacy fence in 2008 we asked the police what we could about this he said get a Watch Dog. :) We rarely let people inside our house (mainly Craigslist Deals if anyone comes in our house) but when we do I make it perfectly clear that we own 2llarge dogs so they might not want to try anything. I usually have the dogs inside so they can see these dogs aren't people friendly.

melanielmcgee
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
the idea that you shouldn't ask is crazy. my niece bagged her first buck at 12 years old. we're used to Guns in my family. I do think that most gun owners are responsible. But you can't assume that all are. my ex brother in law would leave loaded hunting rifles propped up behind the bedroom door. he wasn't even smart enough to lock the door to keep his own kids out of his room. I just think it's smart to be wary of idiots. they can be anybody even gun owners.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

If your children are taght respect, and what "no" means, and that there are things and places that they arent allowed to touch or be. This is never an issue. (referring to katykay)

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting katy_kay08:

my concern isn't about the my children wandering but rather the child that lives there showing off.  This is far more likely than the strange kid peeking in your closests.  

Quoting EireLass:

This is actually what I've been thinking about when I read about people NOT allowing kids to go into gun-homes. What kind of kids do these people have that the kids have the right to wander all over the place where they don't belong? Nobody belongs in my bedroom but myself and my husband. Don't people teach their children manners? And the woman about the dogs...if you don't put your dog away, the kid can't come over. How about you teach your child they are NOT to touch a service dog? This is part of what's wrong.....people think their children are angels and do no wrong. So really the choice is you (general) teach your little kid manners, or I do.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

They are out of reach from small hands and children are not left unattended in our home. There is little or no chance of a child getting their hands on a gun, even if they got close my son would tell them not to and come get me or his father immediately if we were not right there. We know where the children are in our home at all times. And no matter the situation, my answer would not change. Children who don't follow rules are not allowed in my home.

Quoting hismommy2010:

It's not just about them not wanting their child in your home if you own a gun. So you are saying your guns are within easy reach - so what if that child that came over grabbed that gun and killed your child? Bet that would change your answer

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Of course, if they asked I would tell them. My guns remain where they are at all times, I'm not changing my life to accommodate your child. If your kid doesn't know what "no" means or "don't touch" I don't want them in my house anyhow.I see no point in owning guns for protection if they are not easily accessible if needed. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Of course I would tell them. Anytime someone comes to stay long term at the house (like when I was giving birth and my mother and aunt came to stay and help) I tell them that we have them and exactly where they are.

I would have NO problem doing the same for playdate friends. I would tell them where we keep them and also tell them that those are rooms or areas we keep off limits to friends. During playdates, at my children's ages, the children are completely supervised so there's no real need to worry. All guns are kept unloaded and only someone with experience could load them and flip off the safety locks (I can't even do it).

If they requested it, I would have no problem locking them in our gun safe during the playdate (we keep all but two handguns in there anyway).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

that may be your rule but that doesn't mean everyone has the same rules or everyone's children are prone to follow them.  It also doesn't mean the parent's of the child you invited over would know these are rules you have in your home.  

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Only the child of IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners would ever think to "show off" the guns. Children of responsible gun owners are taught at young ages exactly what damage a gun can and will do, how to safely handle a gun, and that guns are NOT toys to be shown off. God help one of my children if they ever decided to show off our guns. Our 11 year old dd knows better; our 3 year old has no clue that we have them, where they are and cannot reach them, to show them off.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I actually agree with you on this. It's one reason we keep our bedroom locked during playdates (with the exception of my dd's best friend - a neighborhood girl who has been over almost every day in the past 4 years and knows our rules, she also comes from a gun friendly home).

I can't assume all young children have the same rules and I would never want a child to be injured just because they were curious - regardless of how out of line I personally think their lack of boundaries are. A dead child isn't a fitting punishment for curiosity.

Quoting katy_kay08:

that may be your rule but that doesn't mean everyone has the same rules or everyone's children are prone to follow them.  It also doesn't mean the parent's of the child you invited over would know these are rules you have in your home.  

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My child doesn't have to touch the gun to be shot by a your child showing off.  (general you)

Quoting dustinsmom1:

If your children are taght respect, and what "no" means, and that there are things and places that they arent allowed to touch or be. This is never an issue. (referring to katykay)

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

Quoting hismommy2010:

Quoting dustinsmom1:

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

My child has been taught properly, so there would be no "showing off'. As w/ any child that has been taught properly.

Quoting katy_kay08:

My child doesn't have to touch the gun to be shot by a your child showing off.  (general you)

Quoting dustinsmom1:

If your children are taught respect, and what "no" means, and that there are things and places that they aren't allowed to touch or be. This is never an issue. (referring to katykay)

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured