Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (381-390):
KidsequalFun
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Asking about guns in someone else's house hold is breaching personal space rights, in my opinion. When I send my children to other people's home I am aware that I have to keep an open mind about who they are going to be around and what their surroundings are going to be.
big smile mini

JennPearce
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I'd be honest. We do. If they don't like it, they know where the door is.
WritingMom777
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I haven't ever asked but I do sometimes think about it.  For older children not so much an issue but for really younger children I would hope that guns were out of reach or that at least a parent would warn me (if they were easy to get to by children).  At a younger age, I am sure that my young child might have picked up a gun if it was lying in easy reach.  Just like most other young children.  

I know that my FIL has guns but they are completely locked away out of reach.  Having said that my father "hid" a gun in our house when I was a kid and all four of us siblings knew exactly where it was.  You really can't hide stuff from kids.

napqueen
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I would let them know I had guns and that they will not be anywhere that the kids can get. It would not offind me at all. We live in Louisiana so just about everyone has a gun or guns in the house

jenaell867
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:00 AM
I don't own a gun. But I am one of those people that would/does ask. I don't have to ask about medicine, cleaner, a pool, a trampoline. etc. my son is 6 almost 7. I have worked very hard to discuss/explain/show/warn him/teach him of the dangers. He has never been one to stray from what I've told him. Stay away!!! Don't touch!!! This can hurt you -and I'm not there to help you. I've been blessed with a non-curious. non-rebellious child. Ill be honest guns scare me. I have no problem with people owning them. But they scare me. So I do ask and I explain my fear and I have not permitted my child to stay with one "friend" because I felt the other child would possible show off and if boredom set it who knows what could happen. Now I make it a point to get to know every family my child would spend time with. We have them for dinner. We arrange time at their house, I ask to see where the guns are and in conversation ask about their training. This helps me! and it helping him, with more and more people getting guns we now discuss them more and he is learning what to do if someone shows him a gun. We will continue learning and if I'm uncomfortable he simply will not be permitted to go. I know there will always be danger but I never will have the question did I do enough..... Ask it's a very simple question for a very good reason......
jenaell867
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Wow!
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:21 AM

I agree w the statemens in red also wanted to add, I dont want my child to fear guns, but he has a healthy resect for what they can do.

Quoting cmoorec:

I'm probably not the first to point this out, but I don't have time to go through 376 replies, so I'll just say it: if you think you're going to leave your child and a visiting playmate unattended long enough for them to get into that kind of trouble, then maybe you shouldn't be having little friends over to visit. In addition to teaching your children about real danger, if you think a playmate is a substitute for supervision, then you could be guilty of irresponsible gun ownership. You never know when the playmate is going to be the one who can't resist playing with guns, because they don't have them in their home, nor have they been taught how to regard this danger.

Of course, I'd be honest, if asked, but I was one of those moms who wouldn't let my son play in homes where there were guns or with kids who played with toy guns (I actually made them lay their toy guns on the property line before they could come over and play and I was probably considered the local nuttty mom). When my son was 10, we moved into a household with guns, but by then he understood and feared guns. Then one day, when he was maybe 12,  we went target shooting and he found that he was fascinated by the power he felt with a gun in his hands.  He had the intellectual capacity to understand what was happening and we never went target shooting again. Needless to say, he had a practical understanding of guns and no interest in "playing" with them. You do whatever you can to impress your child with the realities of danger.

heartagram_girl
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I would be truthful. Yes we have guns in the house. Yes a few are loaded- but those are put in the top of our closet or in our bedroom- where kids are not allowed to play. The rifles are in the living room yes, but those are NOT loaded. We keep the ammo and black powder locked away. If the fact that we have guns offends someone, oh well. We have taught our nieces and nephews gun safety, but we still dont allow them to play with guns. Before they come over, DH and I go through the house and make sure the guns are in their proper spot.

There is nothing scary or worrisome about visiting a home with guns. Most gun owners are very responsible and either keep guns/ammo locked away.

BTW, I would ask, just to make sure they are put away before my child comes over. My rules still apply to my child even if we are in someone else's home- they are not allowed to play with guns unless Daddy is there.

CafeMom Tickers
Mama_Of_Two2012
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM

we own 2 guns and if a parent asked me yes id be honest HOWEVER id also tell her they are in a locked safe in my bedroom so there is NO access for the child. It wouldnt stop me from having the friend over if the parent asked however if the parent chooses not to have thier kid at my house that is thier own issue. The guns stay put away unless needed, my husband and I arent all the time carriers but we do carrie if we go to certain areas. I would only be willing to tell them its in a safe in my room, they don't need to see it or ne thing like that. Our guns are always locked up and loaded, nothing ever in the chamber but the clip is always loaded and in the gun

linaS.83
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

This

Quoting lga1965:

We never had guns. I wouldn't let my kids play at a friends house if the parents owned guns, particularly after finding out that too many gun owners don't care if a visiting child finds their guns that are not kept locked up. That is irresponsible and disgusting
No way did we ever want to come in contact with weapons.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured