Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (401-404):
dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:39 AM

"Beware of Dog" implies you have a vicious animal, "Guard Dog on Duty", implies training and as far as know, absolves you of guilt in the laws eyes.

Quoting EireLass:

Typically a 'beware' sign adds more liability to the owner rather than act as a warning to others. You are admitting guilt by signage. It also puts your dog at risk.

Quoting Amandatoo:
Quoting EireLass:
Absolutely, Yes my Insurance knows about the Dogs and I have Beware Signs on my fence.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Your language speaks loudly for what you are. I've shot dogs in their home as they've attempted to attack. It's not hard to do.

If you don't want to be involved in a conversation....which every thread on CafeMom is....you really shouldn't be here.

Quoting Amandatoo:
Quoting EireLass:
He said dont worry about your Dog being Shot at because while they are trying to shoot one the other 3 would be attacking him. Now seriously stop quoting me and go annoy the Fuck out of someone else and ask them stupid questions.

progressandjoy
by New Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM

We'd be honest. Yes, we have a gun in the house. No, it's not locked in a safe.

Our gun is for home defense. In our experience and opinion, it's useless if it's locked away in a safe. However, just because our gun is accessible by DH and I, doesn't mean it's just laying around. Not only is our gun stored well out of reach of SS, but we've also taught SS about gun safety. We're responsible gun owners who have drilled the realities of guns into SS's head. In our house, we do not glorify guns - we respect them. SS knows if he comes across a gun, or even a single bullet, he turns right around, and reports it to an adult. He's not terrified of guns or impressed by them; he knows that they are a dangerous tool used by adults.

If someone was to ask, we'd be honest. I would hope that a parent would understand that our gun isn't accessible to their children, but I'd understand if they felt uncomfortable.

paperorplastic
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM

The parents of my children's friends all know we own guns.  Where I live its pretty uncommon if a family doesn't own a gun.  If someone were to ask I woud tell them.  The question wouldn't put me off.  I take all necessary precautions in practicing gun safety, and storage in my home.  If another anti gun parent didn't agree with my protocol, then it's their choice if they want their child playing at my house or not.  I don't change my lifestyle to accommodate others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)