Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is purely hypothetical and is being posted for the sake of discussion and curiosity.  

I've often seen posts asking if parent's ask the parents of their children's friends if there are guns in the home before they let their children go over to the home.  

My question is to those that do own a gun, would you tell the parents of your children's friends if they were to ask you if you had guns in the home?  Would the question put you off and prevent you from having their child over to your home to play?   How far would you be willing to go to alleviate the concerns of the child's parents?  

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Replies (81-90):
whitleypittman
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I would probably give them the no duh look. Everyone around here has at least one gun, be it a shotgun, rifle, or handgun.
And no, i would not change anything about my life for someone else. My guns are put away where my DD can't get to them, and she will be learning to not touch it until she is older, and even then only with my or my DH's permission.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My husband said something last night that I hadn't even thought about.  I'm curious if other gun owners would have the same question in the back of their minds:

Chidl's Parent:  Hi, I'm Johnny's mom!  Our boys are great friends at school.  I just wanted to meet y'all and find out if there's anything I should know about before I send Johnny down to play; you know, dogs, a pool, guns, anything like that.

My Husband:  We live on a farm (not quite yet but very, very soon).  We have livestock.  Ergo, we have dogs.  I'm a gunsmith, ergo we have guns

Johnny's Mom:  I'd like to meet the dogs and see where your guns are stored, if you don't mind.

My Husband:  No.  How do I know exactly who you are?  How do I know you're not casing my home for future robbery?  I told you that we do in fact have dogs.  I told you I have guns.  If that makes you uncomfortable, the boys are welcome to play at your home or outside.  Just so you know, I have a 15 minute program on gun safety featuring McGruff and all our children's friends are required to watch it before playing inside our home with our children.

Have to admit, this took me aback a little.  Never even occured to me that someone **might** possibly think that nosey questions were being asked in the name of information but really for nefarious purposes.

bellaamore
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Id answer honestly.

Yep, we do, but kids ont mess with them.

If that scares you, im sorry your kid cant ome over

Honestly, ive never thought about it beore, but now that i o, if something happened, id like to know that wherever my kid was the parents ould protect her, not let her be a victim.... So , take from that what you will.

sweetmissy_05
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We only have a BB gun in our home, obviously not loaded...but if anyone asked we would tell them honesty.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM
15 guns in our home only one you will see out is a red Ryder bebe gun. The others good luck finding.
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM
2 moms liked this

My sons 11.10 and 5 know gun safety. They can come across a gun at anytime as criminals just toss them to drop evidence WHERE EVER! So it is important that your child knows gun safety then it is more important for you to know weather or not the home owner owns a gun...

You arm your child with knowledge because you can't hide the world from your child, eventually he/she will be in a problem that will require him to use his knowledge on how to handle the issue.

katinahat
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If they asked, I would let them know that we own firearms and they are properly secured in a safe. I would not change anything for DD's friends. If they don't feel safe, then they don't have to come. Also, I would not show them where my guns are stored. I am not comfortable with that.

Jenn8604
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
if you lived im my town and i knew you and you offered me a ride id take it. gun or no gun.

Quoting Christy644:

hypothetically....If I offered you a ride would you take it? Probably. Would you ask if there is a gun in my car? Probably not.

There's 2.

You would never know. So what's more comforting for you? Not knowing or knowing?
TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

barrelracer1699
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM

All my friends know we have guns.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)