Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know Somebody Who's Been ACCIDENTALLY Shot?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
  • 136 Replies

Poll

Question: Do You Know Somebody Who's Been Accidentally Shot?

Options:

yes

no

close enough (like friend of a friend)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 144

View Results

My parents asked me this question years ago when some new stats came out on accidental shootings.  They were surprised to learn that  I had done my student teaching with the uncle of a kid who accidentally shot his friend with a shotgun.  The uncle had helped with the clean up and was kind of an emotional mess that week.

I then reminded them that they too knew somebody who'd been accidentally shot.  A friend of my brother who'd been at our house many times shot himself in the neck with his own air gun.  Even though it only shoots BBs, it was a really bad wound; he was touch and go for awhile there.

FTR, I'm a big believer in 2nd Amendment rights and responsible gun ownership.  I think armed citizens are perhaps the most reliable crime deterrant.  But accidents happen.  And stupidity happens. 

Care to share your firsthand experiences with accidental shootings?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yup friend at a gun range.  My father committed suicide to by eating his service piece.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I know someone that was intentionally shot.  

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

My kids go to school with a local family where the little boy accidentally shot his sister.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Sadly I do. It was the gun owners fault. The gun owner survived but was permanantly injured and will forever be incapable of living a normal life.

eema.gray
No. No I don't
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Christy644
A kid I went to school with tried cleaning the gun before unloading it. What a dumbass! He lived. Nothing fatal but it hurt like hell I'm sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08

the cop's kid?  

Quoting Peanutx3:

My kids go to school with a local family where the little boy accidentally shot his sister.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:07 PM

oh wait, I did think of one.  A friend of my son's accidentally shot himself after coming home drunk from a party.  

Meghan6391
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

My bestfriend/ex fiance... they wrote it off as a suicide even though the gun accidently went off (is what is stepdad said.. i still think his stepdad shot him) :( 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yep.  She was in the other 1st grade class. I was thankful she wasn't actually in my son's class.

Quoting katy_kay08:

the cop's kid?  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN