Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know Somebody Who's Been ACCIDENTALLY Shot?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do You Know Somebody Who's Been Accidentally Shot?

Options:

yes

no

close enough (like friend of a friend)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 144

View Results

My parents asked me this question years ago when some new stats came out on accidental shootings.  They were surprised to learn that  I had done my student teaching with the uncle of a kid who accidentally shot his friend with a shotgun.  The uncle had helped with the clean up and was kind of an emotional mess that week.

I then reminded them that they too knew somebody who'd been accidentally shot.  A friend of my brother who'd been at our house many times shot himself in the neck with his own air gun.  Even though it only shoots BBs, it was a really bad wound; he was touch and go for awhile there.

FTR, I'm a big believer in 2nd Amendment rights and responsible gun ownership.  I think armed citizens are perhaps the most reliable crime deterrant.  But accidents happen.  And stupidity happens. 

Care to share your firsthand experiences with accidental shootings?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
krickette
by New Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

yep know all to well .my middle brother was hunting with our oldest brother and triped over a log and shot the older brother in the foot he was on cruthches for about a month

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

No I have not. 

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM

that story still ticks me off.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Yep.  She was in the other 1st grade class. I was thankful she wasn't actually in my son's class.

Quoting katy_kay08:

the cop's kid?  

Quoting Peanutx3:

My kids go to school with a local family where the little boy accidentally shot his sister.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

yea.  I wonder if we will hear anything when the Marysville Police department finishes their investigation.

Quoting katy_kay08:

that story still ticks me off.  

Quoting Peanutx3:

Yep.  She was in the other 1st grade class. I was thankful she wasn't actually in my son's class.

Quoting katy_kay08:

the cop's kid?  

Quoting Peanutx3:

My kids go to school with a local family where the little boy accidentally shot his sister.

Aivlys_
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Nope.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

a family members life partner comitted suicide. it was no accident. it was very planned. he laid out all the paperwork and put everything in order. then ate his gun.

ilostmy_keys
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM
An ex-family friend was having a nightmare, reached in his nighttable, pulled out his handgun and shot himself in the chest. Fortunately, he survived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I know a person whose little brother was accidentally shot. I never met the kid, he was just a little boy. Sadly, he didn't make it. The brother, that I knew, was never the same.

Then I know another person who was intentionally shot - five times - and managed to survive. He's not the most stable anymore either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I had 3 diff peers growing up who were accidently shot...unfortunately none of them survived.

JenW777
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My uncle was hunting and his hunting partner was cleaning the gun and shot my uncle in the leg.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN