Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know Somebody Who's Been ACCIDENTALLY Shot?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do You Know Somebody Who's Been Accidentally Shot?

Options:

yes

no

close enough (like friend of a friend)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 144

View Results

My parents asked me this question years ago when some new stats came out on accidental shootings.  They were surprised to learn that  I had done my student teaching with the uncle of a kid who accidentally shot his friend with a shotgun.  The uncle had helped with the clean up and was kind of an emotional mess that week.

I then reminded them that they too knew somebody who'd been accidentally shot.  A friend of my brother who'd been at our house many times shot himself in the neck with his own air gun.  Even though it only shoots BBs, it was a really bad wound; he was touch and go for awhile there.

FTR, I'm a big believer in 2nd Amendment rights and responsible gun ownership.  I think armed citizens are perhaps the most reliable crime deterrant.  But accidents happen.  And stupidity happens. 

Care to share your firsthand experiences with accidental shootings?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (131-136):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I didn't say yes or no, my uncle died when he was 16 from a hunting accident. it was from he shot at a snake, the bullet ricochet off a rock and hit him in the throat. So I didn't say I knew him, this happened before I was even a thought in my mother's head,

BrookPayton
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Same thought many of us have had. I hadn't talked to him in years, but another friend of mine was close with his girlfriend. She swore it was an accident. But, just because they were close doesn't mean she knew everything. I believe it's still on trial. IMO, the fact that he's a cop means he should know better than ANYONE the dangers of guns and cleaning them especially while loaded. My BIL is also a cop and he has to take safety courses all the time.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I don't mean any offense, but how does a cop of all people accidently shoot & kill his girlfriend while cleaning his gun? To me it sounds like domestic violence. Cops have got to know better than to clean their guns with bullets in them, right?

Quoting BrookPayton:

My dad only had 1 eye because he was accidentally shot with a BB gun. A close friend of mine was accidentally shot and killed by a friend of his. Not everyone believes it was an accident though. Personally, I'm really not sure. And my mom had a close friend who accidentally shot and killed his best friend because they were dumb and playing with a gun that wasn't as empty as they thought when they were young.

ETA- I also just remembered. A guy I dated as a teenager is a cop. Recently he was charged with accidentally shooting and killing his girlfriend, while he was cleaning his gun.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dresdenfan118
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Young man was rabbit hunting.  Wanted to shoot something.  Shot at a rock.  Bullet hit his cousin.  Everyone lived.

Jeanetts
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I live in a hunting/liberal gun area and have guns but do not know of any accidental shootings, only on purpose shooting, myself included. It really, really sucks. It's really painful. As a child of 10 I took two in the chest and one in the arm. My brother took five all together. Will not forget that or the mother/bitch who did that to us. She did a couple years in a mental institution in the seventies and then was free as a bird. Talk about injustice, she murdured my two youngest siblings and she is still the same sociopath she always was. Our justice system does not work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:24 AM

It seems every shooting I know the person it was intentional including the person who got shot in the neck by a BB gun.

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Strange because you did just that by even posting that they should be changed/remove the second amendment. If you knew what you claim I don't, you'd know that our country NEEDS to have it.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting StarburstKisses:

Quoting Bonita131:

If you live in the US,  the answer would most often be, yes. If you live anywhere else in the industrialized world, the answer would most often be, no.

The second Amendment is 200 yrs old. It is outdated and needs to be changed to reflect the time of citizens owning firearms that are capable of killing dozens in a matter of seconds.  

Oh FFS. The reason they incorporated the second amendment was for times that I believe more than ever match today's days. This whole argument of, "It's 200 years old wahhhhh we don't like it channgeee it it doesn't fit with our culture wahhhhhh" bullshit is getting old. This post wasn't about gun rights so move right along.

Hilarious. You just embarrassed yourself by displaying your ignorance of the constitution and bill of rights and don't even know it.

No American, except a paranoid American, "needs" to own firearms & endless amounts of ammunitioncapable of killing multiple school children in a matter of minutes. I'm assuming you must be in the paranoid American category, since you're close to foaming at the mouth over the thought of amending the second amendment so nut bars like you will no longer be able to purchase firearms & amunition that belong in the military, NOT the home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN