Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know Somebody Who's Been ACCIDENTALLY Shot?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do You Know Somebody Who's Been Accidentally Shot?

Options:

yes

no

close enough (like friend of a friend)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 144

View Results

My parents asked me this question years ago when some new stats came out on accidental shootings.  They were surprised to learn that  I had done my student teaching with the uncle of a kid who accidentally shot his friend with a shotgun.  The uncle had helped with the clean up and was kind of an emotional mess that week.

I then reminded them that they too knew somebody who'd been accidentally shot.  A friend of my brother who'd been at our house many times shot himself in the neck with his own air gun.  Even though it only shoots BBs, it was a really bad wound; he was touch and go for awhile there.

FTR, I'm a big believer in 2nd Amendment rights and responsible gun ownership.  I think armed citizens are perhaps the most reliable crime deterrant.  But accidents happen.  And stupidity happens. 

Care to share your firsthand experiences with accidental shootings?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
My 2 year old cousin was shot and killed accidentally. It has forever changed her brother who was the one that accidentally shot her when he was 4, I'm also named after her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Did you know Lil Wayne shot himself in the chest as a little kid playing with a family members gun?  He barely lived.

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
I was accidentally shot with a BB Gun by my uncle as a kid...

I also went to school with a boy (in a class if 28 kids for the whole grade- so I knew him) who accidentally shot himself in the hand while hunting; lost use of the hand, plus 2 fingers.

Two years ago, I taught a boy who was nearly killed when his brother accidentally shot him while on the hunt.

Obviously, I live in a rural area, but other than my uncle and my ex, I have not had guns in/near/around my home. I know that accidents can- and do - happen frequently, especially when children are involved.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Nope.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yes, in high school a classmate was cleaning and or playing with an illegal gun and shot himself in the head in front of his brother and 2 friends- he died

My co-worker's uncle shot her aunt and killed her and left her in her bed for their grade school age son to find after school

I went to school in a rough area ...I know many of people who have been shot and some killed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes. A good friend of mine was accidentally shot in the face by his uncle when he was a child. He lost his eye. Another very good friend of mine was shot in the shoulder with a .22 in the woods. He does not know where the bullet came from. An uncle of mine had a loaded gun in his house when my cousins were kids. The gun went off and went through the kids' bed upstairs. Fortunately, they were not in it at the time.

Accidents do happen. That's why hunter's safety classes are so important as well as responsible gun storage.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

No

i.m.r.
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Actually I should retract my vote from no to yes. My moms ex boyfriend (years and years after they dated) shot himself on purpose.

There was also a kid in my highschool who was playing around with his friends and got shot in the eye with a bb gun. He lost all sight in that eye and his parents charged the friend that shot him. I don't know much beyond that, but I do know their friendship was never the same after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
terpmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM
I know someone who was murdered and my brother was shot with a bb .. Had to have surgery.
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so sorry. Hugs to you and your son. Horrible. I am really sorry. 

Quoting richsadie:

My infant daughter was shot and killed by a 5 yr old boy. The mother whom I did not know well was doing meth with 5 kids of her own in the home. I went to her home to deliver a birthday cake for her 3rd oldest son and her 5 year old picked up a loaded 30-30 rifle and shot my daughter in the heart. My 3.5 year old son was there. It has forever changed us both, I do not blame the 5 ear old, however I still blame the mother that left out a 30 30 rifle and she was doing drugs.  To many dumb asses in the world that have the RIGHTS TO GUNS.  The guns do not fire themselves there's always a DUMB ass behind the gun, or an innocent child that should never ever be ut in that position.  To many dumb adults with RIGHTS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)