Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know Somebody Who's Been ACCIDENTALLY Shot?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do You Know Somebody Who's Been Accidentally Shot?

Options:

yes

no

close enough (like friend of a friend)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 144

View Results

My parents asked me this question years ago when some new stats came out on accidental shootings.  They were surprised to learn that  I had done my student teaching with the uncle of a kid who accidentally shot his friend with a shotgun.  The uncle had helped with the clean up and was kind of an emotional mess that week.

I then reminded them that they too knew somebody who'd been accidentally shot.  A friend of my brother who'd been at our house many times shot himself in the neck with his own air gun.  Even though it only shoots BBs, it was a really bad wound; he was touch and go for awhile there.

FTR, I'm a big believer in 2nd Amendment rights and responsible gun ownership.  I think armed citizens are perhaps the most reliable crime deterrant.  But accidents happen.  And stupidity happens. 

Care to share your firsthand experiences with accidental shootings?

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (41-50):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Do BB guns count, if so yes I've been shot with a BB gun before.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I also have a co-worker whose husband was cleaning his gun and forgot to check it first. He shot her in the shoulder. It's two years later and she still doesn't have full use of her arm and is in chronic pain.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I don't know of a single person who was accidentally shot.  I do know of a number of military folks who were injured while at war...my BIL was one of them....I don't exactly think this counts....

FTR...I was raised in Texas and guns in the home are the norm...ditto for my dh raised in South Dakota...guns are the norm in our home as well.

DanaG70
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

No.

lga1965
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting richsadie:

My infant daughter was shot and killed by a 5 yr old boy. The mother whom I did not know well was doing meth with 5 kids of her own in the home. I went to her home to deliver a birthday cake for her 3rd oldest son and her 5 year old picked up a loaded 30-30 rifle and shot my daughter in the heart. My 3.5 year old son was there. It has forever changed us both, I do not blame the 5 ear old, however I still blame the mother that left out a 30 30 rifle and she was doing drugs.  To many dumb asses in the world that have the RIGHTS TO GUNS.  The guns do not fire themselves there's always a DUMB ass behind the gun, or an innocent child that should never ever be ut in that position.  To many dumb adults with RIGHTS

I am so sorry .

I agree with your comments too.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”
Dr. Seuss

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jan. 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I know someone who accidently shot himself in the leg while hunting and nearly bled to death before getting to the hospital.  He survived.

In 1968, a neighborhood friend's mother shot herself in the temple.  She jokingly held the gun to her head pretending to shoot herself not realizing the gun was loaded.  She, unfortunately, did not survive. 

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

yes and he's dead. Worse day ever.

GoddessNDaRuff
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Quoting trippyhippy:

Did you know Lil Wayne shot himself in the chest as a little kid playing with a family members gun?  He barely lived.

That fool was 12 and was trying to impress Baby. SMH He's lucky his uncle was outside the house to rush him to the ER. And I think it was the uncle's service weapon he shot himself with being sneaky. And I think he shot himself again not too long ago as a grown ass man....

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Yes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)