Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Basic Gun Safety

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Do you know the basic rules of gun safety

Options:

Yes

No

Other, can't imagine what but if there's an "other" response, here it is :-)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

Always [a]ssume [gun is] loaded until I check [it]

Hand off trigger [un]til you [are] ready [to] shoot

Always know what [is] beyond [your] target

Do not pull [the] trigger [unless you are] will[ing] to kill 

This is how my 5 year old speech apraxic son recites the basic rules of gun safety.

Honestly, nearly every shooting in the accidental shooting thread could have been avoided with observance of just the first of these rules.  How is it not obvious that the real solution to most of our problems with guns is EDUCATION rather than control?????

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM
5 moms liked this

My 4 year old dd can recite gun safety rules all day. My 7 yo ds has been able to for a long time now. He can ever demonstrate for you with my blue guns(plastic molds that do not function but are the same weight and size as the real thing, used to classes). It is really THAT easy. SO many just choose to not become educated or to be idiots. There are NO accidents, ONLY negligence.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

bumpers

eema.gray
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

My son can demo with a toy gun also.  Two out of four goals he has to achieve before he gets his first real gun.  The other 2 are probably going to take longer for him to accomplish - he has to coach me or my husband through the process of firing a .22 and he also has to tell us each step in taking the same rifle apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together.  He needs some focus and concentration before being taught to shoot and this seems the best way to help him learn those things.  :-)

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

My 4 year old dd can recite gun safety rules all day. My 7 yo ds has been able to for a long time now. He can ever demonstrate for you with my blue guns(plastic molds that do not function but are the same weight and size as the real thing, used to classes). It is really THAT easy. SO many just choose to not become educated or to be idiots. There are NO accidents, ONLY negligence.

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

That is cool that you set up a system for him to accomplish it. Kudos to you. Mine both have several but are only allowed to shoot part of them. DD 4 is allowed the bb gun WITH a lot of close attention and ds 7 can shoot the bb gun, the tac .22 and the .410 after telling me every step in firing the gun and the safety protocol before EVERY shooting session. They are actually far more responsible than I ever imagined they would be at this age because we have preached safety and shown them how to be safe and also shown them what happens when you are NOT safe.

Quoting eema.gray:

My son can demo with a toy gun also.  Two out of four goals he has to achieve before he gets his first real gun.  The other 2 are probably going to take longer for him to accomplish - he has to coach me or my husband through the process of firing a .22 and he also has to tell us each step in taking the same rifle apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together.  He needs some focus and concentration before being taught to shoot and this seems the best way to help him learn those things.  :-)

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

AMBG825
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

The last one should read "Do not point the gun unless youare willing to kill."

eema.gray
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
The way it's typed is what my husband teaches in his police firearms classes and what he wants our kids to learn. Both versions are correct, just a matter of degrees.

Quoting AMBG825:

The last one should read "Do not point the gun unless youare willing to kill."

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Amen!

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Your lessons leave out a very important rule for children...do not touch a gun without an adult present and the obvious rule for adults...don't leave loaded guns down where a child too young to understand the rules and consequences can get it.  While we want our children to know these rules, there are sadly too many adults that take unnecessary risks in their assumptions that their children  just know not to play with a gun.  

*edited for mobile fat finger typing*

momof3inTN
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Our kids had to learn and practice (with a toy, which they weren't even allowed a toy gun until they were 9) all of the above and show us they were responsible before we would allow them a "real" (BB) gun.

Education is important. I believe there are certain weapons that do not need to be available (assault rifles) for sale and I do not see a problem with requiring registration of weapons but I know many disagree with my views. I would have no problem registering my guns.

eema.gray
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM
These are the basic rules foe HANDLING a gun. Posted partly to show that a young SPED child can learn and demonstrate them and also to show that the vast majority of 'accidental' discharges. In the other thread could have been prevented with sensible application of these rules. How many people have to shoot themselves or friends/ neighbors before every hunter realizes they need to verify unloaded status by physical examination before cleaning their rifles?

Quoting katy_kay08:

Your lessons leave out a very important rule for children...do not touch a gun without an adult present and the obvious rule for adults...don't leave loaded guns down where a. Gild too you t understand the rules and consequences can't get it.  While we want our children to know these rules, there are sadly too many adults that take unnecessary risks in their assumptions that their children  just know not to play with a gun.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured