Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box - Do you buy the excuse or was this meant to humiliate?

Posted by   + Show Post

Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 8, 2013 

cardboard boxThis just in from the bad teacher files: a teacher put a cardboard box around the seat of an autistic child and labeled it the "bad kid fort." Oh, but she didn't want to embarrass the child! At least not according to the principal who is faced with cleaning up this rather embarrassing mess for her school district.

Principal Pam Goots says the bad kid box put around a Parkersburg High School student was "bad judgment," but she insists this wasn't meant to humiliate the child. All right, I'll bite.

What did she think was going to happen? What could be the other options? Hmmm?

I'm not coming up with any, how about you?

The kid was going to be made a spectacle in front of his entire class and absolutely no one would notice? In a world where we have a bona fide bullying epidemic, this would just be ignored?

Uh huh. And the word gullible is in the dictionary, right?

The denial is infuriating here -- almost as much as the actual "bad kid fort" incident -- because teachers are supposed to be on a kid's side, any kid's side.

But this child in particular has Asperger's syndrome. That should have set off a warning bell in this teacher's head, reminding her that this kid needs a tad bit more protection, could use a tad bit more compassion. An average of 62 percent of the kids on the spectrum report that they're bullied at least once a week in school. Once a WEEK, people.

If we can't even get the teachers to stop singling them out, how are we going to get cruel kids to get the hint?

Do you buy this educator's excuse or was this straight up meant to humiliate this child?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I dont understand why these teachers do this. They want to help kids (by learning) but they need to be taught how to handle the ones with issues. My son has aspergers and his 3rd grade teacher did everything to humiliate him! Lady pissed me off and I brought hell and damnation on that school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Quoting futureshock:

I don't think all teachers are equipped to handle of all the different kinds of special needs kids there are these days, and I think they do the best they can.

I think "most" do the best they can but there are those that can't be bothered with special needs children.

LindaClement
by Linda on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

What is this supposed to 'teach'?

That the teacher's fuse is short? Bet everyone in the class already knows that.

That the child is a valued and valuable member of the community he lives in?

Oh, right... no.

gludwig2000
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, this is bullying.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gludwig2000:

Nope, this is bullying.

And what this teacher did is set this child up for future bullying.  Shame on her/him.  The principal of the school is making excuses for this act of "bad judgement" not bullying.   Send both the teacher and the principal back to educate them on special needs cihldren especially those that are overly sensitive like aspergers.  What these un-educators did was set this child up for failure..low self esteem,  an a fear of being in the class. 

butterfly on headlynda  

darlingdaisy
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Why did the principal try to protect her?  Why was she not fired on the spot?

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I definitely think labeling something as the "bad kid fort" is going too far. But removing a child from a situation they cannot handle is a typical form of redirecting or disciplining a child. Many times a child will have to sit at a desk apart from his or her classmates, or asked to sit in the hallway, because they are too easily distracted and need a time out. I think his teacher desperately needed to approach this situation with more logic and sensitivity. I would be furious if this was my child.

As a teacher, it's really tough to handle a classroom with 20-30 different personalities, but it is possible to do without bullying. I personally am returning to school for additional certification to work with special needs children, just so I am better prepared to help the students I am teaching.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Forget the fact he has an ASD....a teacher should not be doing this to ANY kid.  Personally, I expect the juvenille behavior to come from the kids...not the teacher.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Quote:

Principal Pam Goots says the bad kid box put around aParkersburg High School student was "bad judgment," but she insists this wasn't meant to humiliate the child

I thought the school staff was supposed to on the STUDENT'S side, to protect the students, to be an advocate for the students.  This principal is just as bad a the teacher, for standing up for the teacher and not the little boy.  

Yet another reason we homeschool.  

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:52 PM
This was my question. My son is autistic and he would love this but calling it the "bad kid fort" leads me to believe this wad just humiliating.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

If it wasn't for humiliation, what was it for?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured