Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box - Do you buy the excuse or was this meant to humiliate?

Posted by   + Show Post

Teacher Humiliates Autistic Kid By Making Him Sit in Cardboard Box

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 8, 2013 

cardboard boxThis just in from the bad teacher files: a teacher put a cardboard box around the seat of an autistic child and labeled it the "bad kid fort." Oh, but she didn't want to embarrass the child! At least not according to the principal who is faced with cleaning up this rather embarrassing mess for her school district.

Principal Pam Goots says the bad kid box put around a Parkersburg High School student was "bad judgment," but she insists this wasn't meant to humiliate the child. All right, I'll bite.

What did she think was going to happen? What could be the other options? Hmmm?

I'm not coming up with any, how about you?

The kid was going to be made a spectacle in front of his entire class and absolutely no one would notice? In a world where we have a bona fide bullying epidemic, this would just be ignored?

Uh huh. And the word gullible is in the dictionary, right?

The denial is infuriating here -- almost as much as the actual "bad kid fort" incident -- because teachers are supposed to be on a kid's side, any kid's side.

But this child in particular has Asperger's syndrome. That should have set off a warning bell in this teacher's head, reminding her that this kid needs a tad bit more protection, could use a tad bit more compassion. An average of 62 percent of the kids on the spectrum report that they're bullied at least once a week in school. Once a WEEK, people.

If we can't even get the teachers to stop singling them out, how are we going to get cruel kids to get the hint?

Do you buy this educator's excuse or was this straight up meant to humiliate this child?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Replies (21-26):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

If she hadn't labeled it the "bad kid fort" I'd be on her side.  I have no problem with isolation.

Reepicheep.CSL
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I think there needs to be more discussion between teachers and parents, especially when there are special needs involved. 
I can see where singling out a child who is behaving badly could work to make them stop seeking attention when they realize that the attention doesn't feel so good. Heck it works with my sons.
But if a child doesn't grasp the reason that he is being singled out then it isn't going to work.
I am not sure what kind of discussions are going on between parents and the teachers for a special needs child but I would think that discipline strategies that work best for each child would be one of those discussions.
Handling every child with one size fits all discipline doesn't work and that is where this teacher went wrong. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Seriously this has nothing to with guns

Quoting MicheleJM:

I agree with the comment we don't want these "winners" to carry guns.  By the same token I think teachers often get frustrated.  They can't touch a kid to remove them from the classroom without some parent going off the deep end.  They can't chastise a child without some parent going off the deep end.  We got teachers calling the police to remove violent disruptive children from the classroom or the principals office and what happens typically?  The parents go off the deep end.  We want teachers to be able to handle a growing number of autistic, emotionally handicapped, ADHD, and bipolar children and parents apparently can't come to the classroom to help their behavioral challenged children adjust.  Teachers, as you said, aren't trained and their hands are tied. Then they have their neurotypical children to teach.  I agree this woman was stupid but I think teachers are getting desperate.  I'm surprised that as a group they aren't all alcoholics...I would be.

Quoting LIMom1105:

It was cruel and meant to humiliate him.

These days, I think all teachers should have special education training, since they will all have special needs kids in their classrooms. Though I don't know if that would have helped in this case. 

There are some winners out there, this is why I don't want them carrying guns in the classroom.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It doesn't except that there is a debate going on as to whether or not teachers should carry.LlMom made a comment on it and I replied.  Personally I don't think guns should be in schools, period.  As to the discussion at hand I stand by what i said: this woman is an idiot. However, teachers are expected to do a lot and they may not have the training.  Ds9 has a friend with autism.  I know the boy fairly well but I am not sure what to do if presented with a behavioral issue.  I would probably treat him as I would my own son  and hope it worked.  Again, not excusing this idiot, who should have been made aware that dunce cap type punishments went out with the one room school house.  Just saying we ask a lot of our teachers and I don't think parents thank them/support them/appreciate them as much as they should.

Quoting candlegal:

Seriously this has nothing to with guns

Quoting MicheleJM:

I agree with the comment we don't want these "winners" to carry guns.  By the same token I think teachers often get frustrated.  They can't touch a kid to remove them from the classroom without some parent going off the deep end.  They can't chastise a child without some parent going off the deep end.  We got teachers calling the police to remove violent disruptive children from the classroom or the principals office and what happens typically?  The parents go off the deep end.  We want teachers to be able to handle a growing number of autistic, emotionally handicapped, ADHD, and bipolar children and parents apparently can't come to the classroom to help their behavioral challenged children adjust.  Teachers, as you said, aren't trained and their hands are tied. Then they have their neurotypical children to teach.  I agree this woman was stupid but I think teachers are getting desperate.  I'm surprised that as a group they aren't all alcoholics...I would be.

Quoting LIMom1105:

It was cruel and meant to humiliate him.

These days, I think all teachers should have special education training, since they will all have special needs kids in their classrooms. Though I don't know if that would have helped in this case. 

There are some winners out there, this is why I don't want them carrying guns in the classroom.

Autiziumom
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM
She is not certified to do that to children. She was certified to educate! Wat a shame and waste of education!
GleekingOut
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

DD21 (who is autistic as well) actually had this happen to her for an entire term. He cut a tiny window out of the box cleared it with both the deputy and the principal and said it was because she was bullying other children. Turns out a child was disturbing DD by talking about sex and she freaked. Turns out (this child and another child told me) that this teacher regularly encouraged the whole class to call her a freak and a loser and to pretend to be her friend then make her look like an idiot. I never reported him because DD is a frequent liar and it took two more years for me to find out the truth from other students/parents. But yes it is humiliating and I think it ruined all her trust in male teachers/superiors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured