Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Everyone should know how human reproduction works.

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
  • 23 Replies

In some discussions here and on other forums I have noticed that some people do not really understand exactly how babies are made beyond sex can = pregnancy which can = having a baby.

Some examples:

Some women do not know that it takes MANY, MANY sperm to cause a pregnancy.

Some women do not know that a very large number* of embryos die before the first trimester.

*as many as 70%

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/1/3/185.extract

What are some things you have noticed that some people do not understand?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

b

u

m

p

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this

And here now, I would have said it only requires one sperm to cause a pregnancy.  Many sperm increases the likelihood that one will succeed.  But one is the magic number, or so I've always thought.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:34 PM
2 moms liked this
One sperm to get pregnant. Many sperm to increase the chances of that one swimmer getting through.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

That having your period directly relates to pregnancy.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

It does only take one sperm.........the others certainly help in the situation.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting Bieg9093:

And here now, I would have said it only requires one sperm to cause a pregnancy.  Many sperm increases the likelihood that one will succeed.  But one is the magic number, or so I've always thought.

Well one that gets to the egg, but many sperm die before reaching the egg and many sperm are defective, etc., etc.  That is why men with a low sperm count have difficulty reproducing. 

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

More than 90% of male infertility cases are due to low sperm counts, poor sperm quality, or both.

Low Sperm Count (Oligospermia). A sperm count of less than 20 million/mL is considered low sperm. Azoospermia refers to the complete absence of sperm cells in the ejaculate, and accounts for 10 - 15% of cases of male infertility. Partial obstruction anywhere in the long passages through which sperm pass can reduce sperm counts. Sperm count varies widely over time, and temporary low counts are common. Therefore, a single test that reports a low count may not be a representative result.
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

That having your period directly relates to pregnancy.

So what did this person think having a period was all about and did the person wonder why only females have periods?

mandaday
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM
That just as reactions to various foods, plants, or animals, different women will not all react the same to various methods of BC. So there is no one size fits all to preventing pregnancy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting mandaday:

That just as reactions to various foods, plants, or animals, different women will not all react the same to various methods of BC. So there is no one size fits all to preventing pregnancy.

Well this is something interesting, could you elaborate?

How do you figure out what works and what doesn't?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)