Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What We Can Learn from Teen Mom Who Waxed 3-Year-Old's Eyebrows

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
  • 78 Replies

When former "Teen Mom" star Farrah Abraham proudly blogged about waxing and tweezing her 3-year-old daughter Sophia's eyebrows this week, readers wasted no time in online shaming her.

"Are you developmentally challenged?" "This is sad!!!! She is a little girl!!!!" "You are insane," "That poor baby" and "Shame on you!!!!" were among the comments in response to Abraham's blog post on the social network, Sulia.

In it, the 20-year-old mom, who recently underwent $16,000 worth of plastic surgery to alter her breasts, chin and nose, wrote about how she decided to wax 3-year-old Sophia's "unibrow" because she felt bad for her. When Sophia protested mid-wax, Abraham finished the job by using tweezers on her sleeping child. "I feel like a good mom," she wrote. "Other moms tell me your ideas!"

And that's when the online browbeating began.

"It's very easy to vilify this young mom, and what I think we might focus on instead is how to provide support to all moms about what's appropriate at different stages of development," Child Mind Institute psychologist Rachel Busman told Yahoo! Shine. "I understand a parent's desire to have their child look good and fit in. So I try to look at the best intentions."

On the other hand, she added, "There seems to be more of a focus on children's appearances at a younger and younger age, and I think that is concerning."

Busman also noted that Abraham is not an aesthetician, and that young Sophia's skin could have been burned by the wax. "It can be a painful experience," she said, "especially for a child who doesn't know what's happening."

Pageant mom Lisa VanHooser concurred, telling Yahoo! Shine."I've been a licensed cosmetologist for 8 years, and I've never waxed a 3-year-old." VanHooser, who co-owns, with her husband, the Alabama-based Tutu Glitz on Tour Pageant System, said the youngest girl she has waxed was a still-young 10. But, she added, "Sometimes people use eyebrow razors that are not harmful, and a much better alternative to waxing."

Such early-in-life beauty obsessions, experts told us, can cause plenty of negative repercussions.  Full article here.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
5 moms liked this

Not a half hour ago my daughter read this to me.  

My thoughts are this young lady is so misguided and always will be.  She is a pathetic example of a mother, regardless of her age.  I feel sorry for her daughter.  She is a product of her surroundings, including being on television, made a star and praised for being a teen mom.  Where she should be ashamed of herself, she is more concerned with money and the outward appearance than the reality that is life.

Scary for that  young child.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Ugh, what a sad situation.

lga1965
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

wow that was outrageously stupid. A 3 year old?

Personally, I am disgusted with the people in the business of selling women totally unecessary beauty products and making them think they need the products to be happy. I had eyebrows ...a unibrow...since I was a young teen. I PLUCKED them with tweezers. Nowdays, girls go to beauty salons to have them waxed or THREADED! WTH? And you know why? Because the commercials and peer pressure make them think they will be outcasts if they don't. The fashion industry and the beauty industry  are in it for the money and they know they can find more and more ways to brainwash women and they will BUY the crap! Grrrrr.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

What a wackadoo.  Who does that?

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:40 PM

um, I got nothing

mandaday
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I wax my daughter's eyebrows. But, then again, she's a teenager and asked me to. And we use cold wax strips so there is no chance of burning her. All the women in my family have thick brows. I would have never considered doing it so young though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
5 moms liked this

Sometimes, people deserve a good bitch slap. 

DylansMommyXo
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Wow

rfurlongg
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM
4 moms liked this
Online shamming is pointless; it is more telling about the person doing the shamming than the act itself.

I hope that those around this mom irl surround her with love and help her learn to be the best mom she can be for that little girl.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loveabi
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a horrible unabrow (sp??) Until i was like 14 and I didn't suffer a bit... let your kids be little while you still can!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN