Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Published list of NYC licensed gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

So, in response to NY's Westchester County posting the names and addresses of licensed gun owners, the website "Gawker" has posted the names of licesed gun owners in all the 5 boroughs of NYC.  Thoughts?

http://gawker.com/5974190/here-is-a-list-of-all-the-assholes-who-own-guns-in-new-york-city

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
Whaaaaaa....O.o
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM
A side that is not being acknowledged is how many of those published are police officers who out dangerous criminals behind bars. Officers are getting death threats against themselves and their families from inmates who now know where they live. And criminals carry grudges for a very very long time. And have connections outside of jail. Not good.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That depends on where they got their licenses and when....

DH was NYPD and I looked at that list and saw no one we knew on it.  They are usually licensed via the police department and usually are not on the public lists unless they obtained a license themselves outside of the police department license they get. 

However, you are right, in that police officers or former police officers could be on those lists that are published and could put them and their families in danger. 

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

A side that is not being acknowledged is how many of those published are police officers who out dangerous criminals behind bars. Officers are getting death threats against themselves and their families from inmates who now know where they live. And criminals carry grudges for a very very long time. And have connections outside of jail. Not good.

AMBG825
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Not to mention people who may happen to share the last name of a cop that arrested the criminal.

Quoting Whaaaaaa....O.o:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Only for the really ignorant folks who didn't read what this is...it is a HAND gun registry. Lots of folks own rifles and alternative guns, such as powder loaded guns, that do not need to be registered. My friends dad lives in WC county, has a house FULL of guns, including a powder musket in his night stand, and he is not on the registry because they are not "hand guns".

Quoting jehosoba84:

I'm thiking it puts the non-gun owners at more risk. What says "please choose my home to rob" better than a list of exactly which homes do NOT own guns?

Naughty Wittle Puppy

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Did you hear that in response to the original list, someone did their research and posted all the names and addresses of the people at the newspaper?

Anyway, the list only covers registered sidearms.  You don't have to license or register a shotgun, or a hunting rifle, etc.

And I think it's completely idiotic to publish this list.  There have been people who have really suffered because of this.  There was a lady who was hiding from an abusive ex, who got a gun to protect herself just in case, and suddenly her ex shows up on her doorstep after 5 years because he found her name and address on this list.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

You are right - NY does not require a license for rifles. 

Quoting NWP:

Only for the really ignorant folks who didn't read what this is...it is a HAND gun registry. Lots of folks own rifles and alternative guns, such as powder loaded guns, that do not need to be registered. My friends dad lives in WC county, has a house FULL of guns, including a powder musket in his night stand, and he is not on the registry because they are not "hand guns".

Quoting jehosoba84:

I'm thiking it puts the non-gun owners at more risk. What says "please choose my home to rob" better than a list of exactly which homes do NOT own guns?

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

People who are publishing these lists don't bother thinking about the reprecussions and I think do it because they feel almost "righteous" in doing so. 

Quoting kailu1835:

Did you hear that in response to the original list, someone did their research and posted all the names and addresses of the people at the newspaper?

Anyway, the list only covers registered sidearms.  You don't have to license or register a shotgun, or a hunting rifle, etc.

And I think it's completely idiotic to publish this list.  There have been people who have really suffered because of this.  There was a lady who was hiding from an abusive ex, who got a gun to protect herself just in case, and suddenly her ex shows up on her doorstep after 5 years because he found her name and address on this list.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Do you think thieves are only interested in rifles and shotguns?

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:03 PM

LOL. Sanctimonious maybe, but not righteous :)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

People who are publishing these lists don't bother thinking about the reprecussions and I think do it because they feel almost "righteous" in doing so. 

Quoting kailu1835:

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I think that thieves could learn from the registry where to steal hand guns. I think really dumb thieves may wind up shot dead from a shot gun if they think they can target homes not on the list because they mistakenly think the home owner will not be armed with a firearm.

I think publishing this list was stupid for a lot of reasons.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Do you think thieves are only interested in rifles and shotguns?

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

Naughty Wittle Puppy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured