Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Published list of NYC licensed gun owners

Posted by   + Show Post

So, in response to NY's Westchester County posting the names and addresses of licensed gun owners, the website "Gawker" has posted the names of licesed gun owners in all the 5 boroughs of NYC.  Thoughts?

http://gawker.com/5974190/here-is-a-list-of-all-the-assholes-who-own-guns-in-new-york-city

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I also think publishing the list was stupid and one of the reasons has been mentioned. Perfect place to case and rob once the owners left if you wanted hand guns. I also agree that they just may end up with more than they bargained for if someone is home and does have other weapons.

Quoting NWP:

I think that thieves could learn from the registry where to steal hand guns. I think really dumb thieves may wind up shot dead from a shot gun if they think they can target homes not on the list because they mistakenly think the home owner will not be armed with a firearm.

I think publishing this list was stupid for a lot of reasons.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Do you think thieves are only interested in rifles and shotguns?

Quoting NWP:

Only for the really ignorant folks who didn't read what this is...it is a HAND gun registry. Lots of folks own rifles and alternative guns, such as powder loaded guns, that do not need to be registered. My friends dad lives in WC county, has a house FULL of guns, including a powder musket in his night stand, and he is not on the registry because they are not "hand guns".

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Thanks to The Journal News, I now know which of my neighbors has a gun permit.

I'm glad Putnam County is withholding that information.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's the list for my state:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

DH and I were talking about this at lunch - how this can all backfire simply because now people have a list of those with handgun permits and will likely have at least one in their home.  Handguns are worth a lot of money (DH sold 3 of his for the same price, if not more than what he paid for them) and criminals will steal them and now they've been handed a list they can work off of if they are clever enough.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I also think publishing the list was stupid and one of the reasons has been mentioned. Perfect place to case and rob once the owners left if you wanted hand guns. I also agree that they just may end up with more than they bargained for if someone is home and does have other weapons.

Quoting NWP:

I think that thieves could learn from the registry where to steal hand guns. I think really dumb thieves may wind up shot dead from a shot gun if they think they can target homes not on the list because they mistakenly think the home owner will not be armed with a firearm.

I think publishing this list was stupid for a lot of reasons.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Do you think thieves are only interested in rifles and shotguns?

Quoting NWP:

Only for the really ignorant folks who didn't read what this is...it is a HAND gun registry. Lots of folks own rifles and alternative guns, such as powder loaded guns, that do not need to be registered. My friends dad lives in WC county, has a house FULL of guns, including a powder musket in his night stand, and he is not on the registry because they are not "hand guns".

bupkie
by Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Doesn't that SIT WRONG with anyone?  That NYS doesn't require a license for rifles?  

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

You are right - NY does not require a license for rifles. 

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I'm thiking it puts the non-gun owners at more risk. What says "please choose my home to rob" better than a list of exactly which homes do NOT own guns?

• Bupkie..... 

• ~~~ My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it.  If it fits great!  If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ~~~   thank you
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

You don't need a license to buy a rifle in any state - not just NY.

Quoting bupkie:

Doesn't that SIT WRONG with anyone?  That NYS doesn't require a license for rifles?  

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

I'm thiking it puts the non-gun owners at more risk. What says "please choose my home to rob" better than a list of exactly which homes do NOT own guns?

bupkie
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Yes, I get that.... but it just sounds insane to me.  Like one of the parents in Newtown CT, who lost their child... they are in the process of trying to get a kitten.   The process to obtain a KITTEN is so much more difficult than that to obtain a GUN.   You need to fill out application forms, give references which they check carefully, they interview you, (they may come to your house as they do with dogs), etc.   For a KITTEN.  For a gun, you walk in... and there you go.      

IMHO, that is insanity.  (Yes, the process for adopting animals is for safety and protection.  Why not the same for assault weaponry?)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting bupkie:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

• Bupkie..... 

• ~~~ My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it.  If it fits great!  If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ~~~   thank you
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM

That's where there is a debate.

Personally, the process of obtaining a gun (handgun or otherwise) should be looked at again.  The answer I don't think is to just ban guns altogether, but there is a lot of misinformation and miseducation about it.  Depending on where you live in the country, gun education and safety is almost non-existent.  We live in NYC and we have guns, but DH is also in law enforcement and former military.  One of the key take aways and what they stressed when he was first initially assigned his weapon was to educate, educate, educate you family and take away the taboo because that is a big part of the problem.  I also think that there should be stricter background checks as far as guns are concerned and education classes before you are assigned any kind of permit. 

The gun control debate is one that is going to go on for a long time.  The most vocal are the extremists - the ones all for the complete ban of them and the ones who want virtually no restrictions - but most are in the middle.  We all have to take a step back and really take a look at the whole process and the effects of these laws.

Quoting bupkie:

Yes, I get that.... but it just sounds insane to me.  Like one of the parents in Newtown CT, who lost their child... they are in the process of trying to get a kitten.   The process to obtain a KITTEN is so much more difficult than that to obtain a GUN.   You need to fill out application forms, give references which they check carefully, they interview you, (they may come to your house as they do with dogs), etc.   For a KITTEN.  For a gun, you walk in... and there you go.      

IMHO, that is insanity.  (Yes, the process for adopting animals is for safety and protection.  Why not the same for assault weaponry?)

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting bupkie:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting NWP:

Quoting jehosoba84:

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM

LOL your next door neighbor is a criminal with an arsenal and you have no way of knowing it because those are not registered.

The idea of these databases being published only serves to inflame the public and I almost thing they want another civil war at the rate they are going. Yet, perhaps those who profit off war are the ones driving such.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:52 AM

That's the thing about the publication of these databases...I think they do more harm than good.  Those that publish them are just being sanctimonious in my opinion.

We have a huge gun issue in this country and it's not always about those that are registered...we have a huge issue with criminals with unregistered guns. 

Quoting stormcris:

LOL your next door neighbor is a criminal with an arsenal and you have no way of knowing it because those are not registered.

The idea of these databases being published only serves to inflame the public and I almost thing they want another civil war at the rate they are going. Yet, perhaps those who profit off war are the ones driving such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured