Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ok, someone bumped some old posts of mine that were questions (spin offs at the time if I remember correctly) in order to help some understand what it is like to be transgender. However, I thought I would do one better and do a Q&A. Ask me anything and I will do my best to answer it. I am transgender and am married to a transgender individual. I am female to male and my wife is male to female. We have been out for over 2 years now. 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (101-108):
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM

A high fee just to change your name? My daughter is changing her name....$60.

Quoting purpleducky:

File the paperwork and pay the fee. We cannot afford the fee.
Quoting EireLass:

What do you have to do?

Quoting purpleducky:

Yes.
Quoting EireLass:

Do you know what's involved in doing that?

Quoting purpleducky:

We have our sex markers on our driver's licenses changed. We are using our new names but have not gotten a court order name change yet done. 

Quoting EireLass:

What legal changes had to be made after you had medical changes or picked a new name to go with your sex?

Quoting purpleducky:

We did not make any changes until we had been married for years. So there was no issue when presenting our birth certificates for marriage.

Quoting EireLass:

When the two of you got married, you had to present your birth certificates for a license? (I recently got married...we had to, I'm assuming everyone does?) Did you already have legal changes as to what you are now, prior to marriage, and how did that work with presenting your birth certificates for a license?

Quoting purpleducky:

I gave birth to the kids. The birth certificates have me as the mother and my wife as the father. We had not done any changes when they were born. And honestly, we don't have to change anything on them.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yeah. It is $150 in my county. It sucks. Everytime we get the money saved up the kids need something and this gets put on the back burner since we can legally go by our new names. That part is nice at least.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Damn kids. haha. Well, like you say, at least you can legally use your 'new' names anyway. What types of things would you have to go to court to change your name for?

Quoting purpleducky:

Yeah. It is $150 in my county. It sucks. Everytime we get the money saved up the kids need something and this gets put on the back burner since we can legally go by our new names. That part is nice at least.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Bank accounts, driver's license, social security number, doctor records, basically anything legal, lol.

Quoting EireLass:

Damn kids. haha. Well, like you say, at least you can legally use your 'new' names anyway. What types of things would you have to go to court to change your name for?

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Maybe someone already asked. These are pretty basic things....used daily/weekly....on a regular basis. What CAN you use your new names for legally?

Quoting purpleducky:

Bank accounts, driver's license, social security number, doctor records, basically anything legal, lol.

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Resumes, any paperwork that doesn't specifically state "Legal Name", certain bills (like my cell phone lets me customize my name). The main thing is I can legally tell people I am Marc and not get in trouble for fraud.

"54 Pa. C.S.A. § 701

(b) Informal change of name. — Notwithstanding subsection (a), a person may at any time adopt and use any name if such name is used consistently, nonfraudulently and exclusively. The adoption of such name shall not, however, be in contravention of the prohibitions contained in section 702(c) (relating to change by order of court)."

Quoting EireLass:

Maybe someone already asked. These are pretty basic things....used daily/weekly....on a regular basis. What CAN you use your new names for legally?

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting purpleducky:

monkeydavis05
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

oh ok, thank u

Quoting purpleducky:

There are a few different views on it. Bisexual means you are attracted to people of male or female gender. Pansexual individuals are attracted to people of all genders, so more of a regardless of gender thing. They are attracted to personality.

Quoting monkeydavis05:

sorry if this has already been asked (i read up to page 8 and got tired lol), but what is the difference between pansexual and bisexual? forgive my ignorance, ive never even heard of pansexual until i read this, so i googled it, but the definition i read sounds the same as bisexual to me...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN