Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ok, someone bumped some old posts of mine that were questions (spin offs at the time if I remember correctly) in order to help some understand what it is like to be transgender. However, I thought I would do one better and do a Q&A. Ask me anything and I will do my best to answer it. I am transgender and am married to a transgender individual. I am female to male and my wife is male to female. We have been out for over 2 years now. 

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Well our insurance covers a lot. Therapy sessions are only $30 for us. My wife's hormones are $5 a month. My hormones are $10 a month. Top surgery for me will be around $5000. Bottom surgeries range from $20,000-$30,000 and insurance will not cover any of that right now (Obamacare might change that).

And yes, when we are done, I think the physical results will match what we think. And right now we are basically emotionally "closed" on this since we are ourselves now. What we don't like about our bodies still we are working on changing.

My kids aren't really coping with it. This is normal to them for people to just be themselves. And their friends' parents are CIS (comfortable in skin, i.e. "normal" people) but our kids just see them as being themselves.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Kudos to you both for having the strength to be who you are.

How expensive does this all get (treatment, hormones, therapy, surgery one day, etc) for you both?  How do you cover these costs?

Once you are both done with your journeys, do you expect that the physical results will match what you think?  Do you believe you will get some finality, some closure, or is that more of a therapy related issue?  Or are you there emotionally already?

How are your kids coping, or has a difference between your family and those of their friends even registered with them?

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Actually I am pansexual and she is bisexual, but yes we do appear to be a straight couple.

Quoting she_walk_softly:

So when it is all said and done you and your DW are straight.

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Do you ever worry about what emotional affects mommy becoming dad and daddy becoming mom, will have on your kiddos?

Do they go to therapy to help with the transition and to have a non biased 3rd party to speak with?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Yes I do worry about it. And right now our sons do not go to therapy officially. However, at times they will come with me. But my wife and I talk with our therapists about our kids. My wife's therapist is open to seeing them if they ever need it. Right now though, no one sees the need for it.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Do you ever worry about what emotional affects mommy becoming dad and daddy becoming mom, will have in your kiddos?

Do they go to therapy to help with the transition and to have a non biased 3rd party to speak with?

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Do they call you mom and their dad, dad? Or do they call you dad and their dad mom?

Quoting purpleducky:

Yes I do worry about it. And right now our sons do not go to therapy officially. However, at times they will come with me. But my wife and I talk with our therapists about our kids. My wife's therapist is open to seeing them if they ever need it. Right now though, no one sees the need for it.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Do you ever worry about what emotional affects mommy becoming dad and daddy becoming mom, will have in your kiddos?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Our 3 year old calls me mom and her dad. Our 6 year old calls me dad and her mom.

Quoting Paperfishies:

Do they call you mom and their dad, dad? Or do they call you dad and their dad mom?

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Was your family supportive?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

So if you're now male, why are you on CafeMom?

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
purpleducky
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM
4 moms liked this

Because I am still a mom.

Quoting EireLass:

So if you're now male, why are you on CafeMom?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)