Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Indian Guru Suggests Late Gang Rape Victim 'Was Equally Responsible For Attack'

Posted by   + Show Post

Asaram Bapu, Indian Guru Suggests Late Gang Rape Victim 'Was Equally Responsible For Attack'

Huffington Post UK | By Posted: 07/01/2013 14:53 GMT | Updated: 09/01/2013 11:36 GMT

A popular Indian guru has caused mass offence after suggesting the Indian gang rape victim who died on December 30 was equally responsible for the attack.

Addressing his followers, Asaram Bapu said upon being confronted by her attackers, the woman: "...should have taken God's name and could have held the hand of one of the men and said I consider you as my brother and should have said to the other two 'Brother I am helpless, you are my brother, my religious brother.'

bapu asaram

Asaram Bapu has suggested the Delhi gang rape victim was equally responsible for the attack that cost her life

"She should have taken God's name and held their hands and feet... then the misconduct wouldn't have happened."

According to the Hindustan Times, Bapu went on to say: "Galti ek taraf se nahi hoti hai (mistake is not committed from one side)."

The Indian Express reports Bapu's comments have sparked political condemnation across the spectrum, with the Indian People's Party (BJP) calling them "regrettable, deeply disturbing and painful."

Bapu is said to have added: "The accused were drunk. If the girl had chanted hymns to Goddess Saraswati and to Guru Diksha then she wouldn't have entered the bus."

india_gang_rape_1

A police officer guides a truck carrying the five suspects into the court precincts

Meanwhile Bapu's spokesman Niam Dubey insists her client has been misquoted.

She told Asian News International: "Bapujee never made such statements. He just asked his women followers to avoid such situation.

"He was only suggesting that women should try their level-best to come out from such situation by using diplomatic ways. We request the media not to distort the statement, this will dissolve such a sensitive issue.

"Yes, he said that the girl had made a mistake by taking an empty bus in night. If she had taken ‘Matra-Diksha', the God has might save her anyhow."

On Monday five men were formally charged with the abduction, gang rape and murder of the unnamed 23-year-old student.

SEE ALSO:

The five accused have been named as Ram Singh, his brother Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma and Akshay Thakur.

The media was barred from reporting and publishing the proceedings after Delhi Police filed an application for in-camera proceedings.

A sixth suspect who claims to be 17, is expected to be tried in a juvenile court separately, The Associated Press reports. Under Indian law juveniles cannot be prosecuted for murder.

A police report seen by the Hindustan Times alleges the youngest suspect "extracted her intestine with his bare hands and suggested she be thrown off the moving vehicle devoid of her clothes."

The next hearing will take place on January 10 and the trial is expected to be referred to a new fast-track court.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:56 PM
This is sickening: dying from a gang rape. I just cannot fathom it.

Kudos to the Indian government for cracking down on these crimes. Too bad our violence against women act didn't pass.

Quoting annabl1970:

Indian policemen stand guard at the District Court complex where a new fast-track court was inaugurated Wednesday to deal specifically with crimes against women, in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. Indian police were preparing Thursday to file rape and murder charges against a group of men accused of sexually assaulting a 23-year-old university student for hours on a moving bus in New Delhi. The Dec. 16 attack on the woman, who later died of her injuries, has caused outrage across India, sparking protests and demands for tough new rape laws, better police protection for women and a sustained campaign to change society's views about women. (AP Photo/ Manish Swarup)

Advertisement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM

YES!

Can you believe it one of the perpetrators were the same bus driver and his brother ( or cousin, can't remember now)???

Quoting pansyprincess:

I hope so too, but I don't have a lot of faith.  And this stupid guru, comments like that just make it worse.  It just is completely beyond me to understand how anyone can hear about this, and claim that the victim holds any responsibility.  I didn't know it was up to me to ensure that I am allowed to leave my house without getting raped.  That should just be a given.

Quoting annabl1970:

I hope the justice will be served.

Quoting pansyprincess:

This is so sad.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I don't think Indian government would care much. Kudos to Indian People who stand up for the poor girl!

Quoting Stephanie329:

Kudos to the Indian government for cracking down on these crimes. Too bad our violence against women act didn't pass.

Quoting annabl1970:

Indian policemen stand guard at the District Court complex where a new fast-track court was inaugurated Wednesday to deal specifically with crimes against women, in New Delhi, India, Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013. Indian police were preparing Thursday to file rape and murder charges against a group of men accused of sexually assaulting a 23-year-old university student for hours on a moving bus in New Delhi. The Dec. 16 attack on the woman, who later died of her injuries, has caused outrage across India, sparking protests and demands for tough new rape laws, better police protection for women and a sustained campaign to change society's views about women. (AP Photo/ Manish Swarup)

Advertisement

dresdenfan118
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that Guru should spend some time with some people who would like to rape him.  Maybe he can show us all how to protect ourselves by holding the rapists hands and feet.  He can demonstrate the correct protective words to say to "his brothers".  Let the Guru show us all how it's done.  I wonder if he'd be singing the same tune the next day?  I wonder if he'd be alive. 

Maybe he shouldn't speak on subjects where he has no real knowledge.  He's influential.  It's awful to think that some people are buying into what he said.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

It's encouraging to see so many outraged.  As for the guru... he is living in another world if he thinks that if the victim had just said those things to her attackers they would have spared her.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I hope this isn't just a one time incident of prosecution and Indian police will start taking all rapes seriously. 

annabl1970

She fought with them till she could. She was very brave girl.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

It's encouraging to see so many outraged.  As for the guru... he is living in another world if he thinks that if the victim had just said those things to her attackers they would have spared her.

annabl1970

Agree

Quoting smalltowngal:

I hope this isn't just a one time incident of prosecution and Indian police will start taking all rapes seriously. 

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM
I must have read there was a new court for dealing specifically with crimes against women.

Either way, the accused dont seem to be going unpunished.

Quoting annabl1970:

I don't think Indian government would care much. Kudos to Indian People who stand up for the poor girl!

Quoting Stephanie329:

Quoting annabl1970:

Advertisement

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM
2 moms liked this

God.

There's always a couple of whackos in every faith, isn't there?  Gee, if she'd just politely asked them to stop raping her with a tire iron long enough to hold their hands and feet and call them brother, why they'd have just stopped and taken her to the nearest hospital!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured