Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

This is an anonymous post about guns in mom confessions.

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
  • 171 Replies
5 moms liked this

Someone in mom confessions felt like they needed to post this anonymously

Your health care system is one of the worst among industrialized nations. Your education ranking falls annually. Around half of your residents are living in poverty. Mental illness is demonized. Women are blamed for violent crimes. Rapists are rarely prosecuted and face consequences. Your economy is in shambles. Your unemployment rate is staggering. You are a divided nation.

Yet the issue that impassions you and gets you riled up is GUNS. Are you for real? Why cling to your guns and ignore the real problems? Can someone explain the thought process here? It's truly puzzling.

This is my reply.

Because a long, long time ago, some very intelligent, trustworthy, and publicly appointed men sat down together and wrote something called the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.  It consists of 27 Amendments, number 2 being THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS.

Half of our residents are living in poverty?  It's hardly half first of all. Secondly, do you even understand how much money we put forth from our own paychecks to help people in need? apparently you don't have a job, and if you do you can't read your pay-stub. On MY pay-stub, I see something called TAX WITHHOLDINGS. That's just mine though, maybe yours is different. There are plenty of resources that are paid for by working US citizens for the homeless and less than middle class income makers. The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP, funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) was a $1.5 billion federal effort to prevent a recession-related increase in homelessness. Welfare, food stamps (TANF), WIC just to name a few. So I don't want to hear you say that Americans that feel like they withhold the right to bear arms don't care about poverty, because that has no relevance.

Mental illness being demonized......   uh. what?

Women are blamed for violent crimes? Once again not really sure what you are referring to, but last time I checked, a woman is just as easily capable of committing a "violent crime" as a man.

I think the only thing I am able to agree with you on is the rape topic.

Our economy isn't in shambles, it's progressing, as well as our "staggering" unemployment.

And the only reason we could be possibly considered a "divided nation" is because people like yourselves don't have respect for our forefathers who constructed the most important document known to the United States. The Constitutional Rights were written in ink not pencil.

So take your ass back to whatever country you came from, or would rather be, because to me, you don't sound like a proud United States citizen.

I can only hope someone agrees with me. If not. I guess I don't care.

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieL
by Dixie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM
6 moms liked this

My reply was that no matter what happens in this country, it's our country and we are proud to be Americans. I'm not speaking for everyone, but I think I am speaking for a lot of us. We are proud to be Americans.

parrishsky
by Maxfield on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

If I recall all of her issues are being addressed... I will agree with the rape issue also. It's the gun issue we have failed miserably at addressing and considering the number of mass shootings we've seen it's about damn time we address it.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
5 moms liked this

I do think mental illness is demonized.  Many of our incarcerated are mentally ill. 

I support the 2cd amendment and I think its an important issue but I cant argue much about the other issues, they are real.

lga1965
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM
4 moms liked this

We have some problems but they can't be solved by having more guns.We are a strong country with too many weak people who need guns to feel strong.

I am optimistic about America but worried about certain Americans.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

"take your ass back to whatever country you came from"?  You assume she is in the United States, why?   

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
6 moms liked this
I'm not sure why this discussion isn't taking place in the group it was posted in.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kinleysmom11
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:25 PM

It is. And it's also taking place here. 

Quoting wickedfiress:

I'm not sure why this discussion isn't taking place in the group it was posted in.

OneToughMami
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM
5 moms liked this

I adding my answers to your reply in red.

Quoting kinleysmom11:

Someone in mom confessions felt like they needed to post this anonymously

Your health care system is one of the worst among industrialized nations. Your education ranking falls annually. Around half of your residents are living in poverty. Mental illness is demonized. Women are blamed for violent crimes. Rapists are rarely prosecuted and face consequences. Your economy is in shambles. Your unemployment rate is staggering. You are a divided nation.

Yet the issue that impassions you and gets you riled up is GUNS. Are you for real? Why cling to your guns and ignore the real problems? Can someone explain the thought process here? It's truly puzzling.

This is my reply.

Because a long, long time ago, some very intelligent, trustworthy, and publicly appointed men sat down together and wrote something called the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.  It consists of 27 Amendments, number 2 being THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. No one is trying to take your rights to own a gun away. They are limiting the types of guns that are easily obtained. It is still upsetting that people care more about guns than the fact that our health care system is deplorable and we fancy ourself a world power.

Half of our residents are living in poverty?  It's hardly half first of all. Secondly, do you even understand how much money we put forth from our own paychecks to help people in need? The majority of the money you put forth DOES NOT go to the social services you listed below. The majority goes to Social Security which you too will one day be entitled. apparently you don't have a job, and if you do you can't read your pay-stub. On MY pay-stub, I see something called TAX WITHHOLDINGS. That's just mine though, maybe yours is different. There are plenty of resources that are paid for by working US citizens for the homeless and less than middle class income makers. The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP, funded through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) was a $1.5 billion federal effort to prevent a recession-related increase in homelessness. Welfare, food stamps (TANF) Food stamps and TANF are two different things, WIC just to name a few. So I don't want to hear you say that Americans that feel like they withhold the right to bear arms don't care about poverty, because that has no relevance.

Mental illness being demonized......   uh. what? You should potentially get out more? Mental Illness in the country has long been demonized. You can get help easier to have babies than you can if you have schizophrenia. We have mental health institutions closing all the time in this country and to be honest...crime would significantly decrease if we put more energy into helping the mentally ill. I worked in mental health for 6 years.

Women are blamed for violent crimes? Once again not really sure what you are referring to, but last time I checked, a woman is just as easily capable of committing a "violent crime" as a man.

I think the only thing I am able to agree with you on is the rape topic.

Our economy isn't in shambles, it's progressing, as well as our "staggering" unemployment.

And the only reason we could be possibly considered a "divided nation" is because people like yourselves don't have respect for our forefathers who constructed the most important document known to the United States. The Constitutional Rights were written in ink not pencil.You do know how the Amendments came to be right? You know they were not originally part of the Constitution right?

So take your ass back to whatever country you came from, or would rather be, because to me, you don't sound like a proud United States citizen.

I can only hope someone agrees with me. If not. I guess I don't care.

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Isn't this post against the rules? either way I think she is pretty much correct

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
3 moms liked this
Where is the person whose post you used? Is she here to discuss it? Did she give you permission to take her thoughts and post them here for discussion without her?

Quoting kinleysmom11:

It is. And it's also taking place here. 

Quoting wickedfiress:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)