Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

should the Constitution...

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 55 Replies

It was suggested in another post that Freedom of speech should only apply protect US citizens? Agree or disagree? If you agree do you think the entire Constitution should only apply protect citizens?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWasson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

No, the constitution should apply to anyone on US soil.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM
2 moms liked this

This is the quote...

AND THE RIGHT TO SPEAK YOUR MIND ABOUT AMERICA, IN AMERICA, SHOULD ONLY BE RESERVED TO US CITIZENS

--ETA: I'm wondering if those liking this reply are in agreement with the quote and not wanting to admit it openly.  

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Gotta love trolls.

Dzyre1115
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:45 PM
3 moms liked this

The Constitution should apply to all persons in this country legally, either by birthright or permission.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM

No, it should apply to anyone in the country, citizen or not.  As a matter of fact it does already, doesn't it?  I mean in the way that the Government must operate using it, so any laws the government applies must be applied constitutionally.

There is no exception for foreigners, is there?  I mean a non-citizen who for instance spoke out thier opinion couldn't be silenced by the government, because the government is obligated to follow it's own laws.  In other words, the constitution is a set of rules for the government to follow, not necessarily for the people in the country to follow.  If that makes sense.

Anything that would be illegal for the government to do to a citizen is by default illegal for the government to do to anyone.  

Actually that must be the case because there are immigration laws, and those would have to apply to non citizens, otherwise how would it work?

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Give me your tired, your poor, 
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free, 
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, 
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

It should apply to anyone who is in this country, not just citizens. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Quoting stacymomof2:

No, it should apply to anyone in the country, citizen or not.  As a matter of fact it does already, doesn't it?  I mean in the way that the Government must operate using it, so any laws the government applies must be applied constitutionally.

There is no exception for foreigners, is there?  I mean a non-citizen who for instance spoke out thier opinion couldn't be silenced by the government, because the government is obligated to follow it's own laws.  In other words, the constitution is a set of rules for the government to follow, not necessarily for the people in the country to follow.  If that makes sense.

Anything that would be illegal for the government to do to a citizen is by default illegal for the government to do to anyone.  

Actually that must be the case because there are immigration laws, and those would have to apply to non citizens, otherwise how would it work?

I tried, more than once, to type out a reply that sounded as if I was making any sense.

I am thrilled that I took the time to read your reply.  You said it where I could not.

Also, those who feel that one must be 'legal', or otherwise, in order to have Freedom of Speech, I have to wonder what consequences they would like to see happen to those who speak their mind about our country that are here illegally or otherwise.

What the hell does it say about  us if we now want those who voice their opinions, and are not 'citizens', punished?

Wow.

Hippie.Gypsy
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

1) I agree with the first post, the constitution should apply to anyone on US soil.

2) as for the quote, in the second post, "speak your mind ABOUT America" everyone is entitled to an opinion. So it shouldn't matter if it is someone inside or outside the US, if they have an opinion on America they should be free to express that opinion.

katy_kay08
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting stacymomof2:

I tried, more than once, to type out a reply that sounded as if I was making any sense.

I am thrilled that I took the time to read your reply.  You said it where I could not.

Also, those who feel that one must be 'legal', or otherwise, in order to have Freedom of Speech, I have to wonder what consequences they would like to see happen to those who speak their mind about our country that are here illegally or otherwise.

What the hell does it say about  us if we now want those who voice their opinions, and are not 'citizens', punished?

Wow.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world one would think all immigrants to the US are here illegally.  

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Wow.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the world one would think all immigrants to the US are here illegally.  

Consider the source and leave it at that.  Some times, there are things (and people) in this world that we aren't meant to understand. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)