Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you been affected by the flu outbreak?

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep reading headlines about the widespread flu outbreak through out the country, but I don't know a single person who has had it.  Perhaps it's worse in the Midwest and the east coast?  Was just wondering how many on this board have had the flu or have family members with the flu.  If so,  did it seem particularly bad?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Replies (101-104):
xoxRachelxox
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I had the flu a couple weeks ago and my oldest son had it as well. Luckily my two youngest didn't catch it. We are in MA so we are on the east coast.

We got the flu shots anyway because there are so many different strands, might as well be safe.

Emilytrademark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Our government has a history of promoting only pharmaceuticals/ synthetic approaches to natural problems. After all,  it is what they know, what they can control, and what they can profit from. I believe in the efficacy of natural, preventative methods, homeopathic treatments, an excellent, plant-based diet, hydration, and  stress reduction. I tend to avoid toxic treatments when there is a natural alternative.

For example, elderberry extract combined with zinc has shown to cure the flu in 48 hours in 93% of the patients who took it. Those who took a placebo recovered in an average of 6 days. On the flip side, the flu vaccine this year has only a reported 59% chance of being effective, and that's if you make it through the two-week trial period where you are left more immunologically vulnerable than before. There is Tamiflu, and I don't know it's effectiveness, but I do know I would never take it due to the harsh side effects and potential neurological damage. The natural remedy I referenced has no harmful side effects.

Just my two cents.

Quoting lga1965:

http://www.webmd.com/vaccines/how-effective-is-flu-vaccine

Your General Health

Vaccines work by spurring the immune system into action. In a sense, a vaccine "teaches" your body how to identify a virus and how to defend against it. Then, when you come into contact with the actual virus, your immune system quickly recognizes it and fights it off.

So the effectiveness of a vaccine depends on how vigorously the immune system responds to it. If you have a weak immune system to begin with, a vaccine may just not work as well. Many chronic illnesses can weaken a body’s defenses. The CDC estimates that the flu vaccine reduces the risk of hospitalization (for flu and pneumonia) by 30% to 70% in people with chronic illnesses

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I don't think the flu vaccine gives you the flu, necessarily, but it does weaken your immune system for 2 weeks while your body is creating the antibodies. I don't think it's a good idea to go out and weaken your immune system right now.

Quoting free1:

"Influenza is going to be with us into February and even beyond. If you haven't been vaccinated, please, take advantage of the benefits of influenza vaccine," he said. "Run, do not walk -- get the vaccine. Protect yourself and everyone around you."

If you did get the vaccine, but still came down with the flu -- did the vaccine cause the illness? No, Schaffner said.

"You can get a bit of a sore arm if you get the injection. If you get the nasal spray variety, you can have a sore throat for a day and a runny nose. But you can't get flu from the flu vaccine," he said.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN chief medical correspondent, endorsed getting a flu vaccine and frequently washing your hands.

Interesting info.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/hrealth/flu-vaccine-effectiveness/index.html

BabyFruit Ticker
kim8934
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM

when I went to the dr, I was told I had a really bad cold, the same with my son and everyone at the walk-in clinic that day and a number of people after me (we all ran into each other at Walgreens).  Everyone at work has had it and almost all of us had the flu shot.  No one that I know has had the flu, but they have all had that 'really bad cold'

stormcris
by Christy on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM

The CDC is reporting it is only 62% effective this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57563507/cdc-flu-vaccine-62-effective-47-states-report-widespread-illness/

Quoting Emilytrademark:

Quoting free1:

Quoting Emilytrademark:

I don't think the flu vaccine gives you the flu, necessarily, but it does weaken your immune system for 2 weeks while your body is creating the antibodies. I don't think it's a good idea to go out and weaken your immune system right now.

Quoting free1:

"Influenza is going to be with us into February and even beyond. If you haven't been vaccinated, please, take advantage of the benefits of influenza vaccine," he said. "Run, do not walk -- get the vaccine. Protect yourself and everyone around you."

If you did get the vaccine, but still came down with the flu -- did the vaccine cause the illness? No, Schaffner said.

"You can get a bit of a sore arm if you get the injection. If you get the nasal spray variety, you can have a sore throat for a day and a runny nose. But you can't get flu from the flu vaccine," he said.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN chief medical correspondent, endorsed getting a flu vaccine and frequently washing your hands.

Interesting info.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/hrealth/flu-vaccine-effectiveness/index.html

Are you against taking the flu shot, or are you saying right now is not a good time to take it? Why?

Well personally I am on the fence about taking the flu shot altogether, but that's just for myself. For people who believe in the efficacy of the flu shot, but have waited to get it until now, I think it might be a poor idea. It's only 59% effective and leaves you more vulnerable for two weeks. I'd recommend upping your vitamin D and C intake and stocking up on some other preventative methods at this point.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)