Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Have you been affected by the flu outbreak?

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep reading headlines about the widespread flu outbreak through out the country, but I don't know a single person who has had it.  Perhaps it's worse in the Midwest and the east coast?  Was just wondering how many on this board have had the flu or have family members with the flu.  If so,  did it seem particularly bad?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:00 PM

We haven't had it....our town did experience a really bad stomach flu...days of high fever, vomitting, diarrhea, body pain....our entire family had it at the same time..it was a mess...my oldest ended up at the ER because he need iv fluids and they couldn't get a vein at the doctor's office...the ER was FULL of people with barf bags.

I had a nasty bout of pneumonia last month.......no flu...we got flu shots...so I am crossing my fingers.

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Okay - so they're actually testing for it to keep track. In the past when my family has gotten sick during flu season our doctor just said - "probably the flu, it's going around," and that was that.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I jsut took my oldest to the doc today here in town.  My oldest and youngest have a stomach virus (fever, throwing up, ect).  I asked (as I always do), whats going around.  He said that we have a nasty upper respiratory infection (viral) going around, but no one has tested positive for the flu so far in our town.  In the next small town over, there have been two positive tests, and in the next town past that maybe half a dozen.  So its here in the valley, but not an epidemic yet.  

Guess there have been a few positive cases of whooping cough this winter as well, but nothing widespread. 

bashfull_77
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Yes I had the flu last week and a bunch of people here where I live are sick. Alabama
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I do not know any one who has had the flu but plenty of people have been ill, myself included.

wickedfiress
by Kellie on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I don't know anyone who has had it here.
nomadbrat83
So sleepy and not in the mood to work. Thank God it's Friday.
41 minutes ago
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Oldest dd had it over Christmas and BIL was diagnosed with it today.
nomadbrat83
41 minutes ago
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Both had flu tests and tested positive.

Quoting nomadbrat83:

Oldest dd had it over Christmas and BIL was diagnosed with it today.
nomadbrat83
41 minutes ago
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Oldest dd had her flu shot and still got it

Quoting lga1965:

No, we all got our flu shots last fall. There have been two deaths in MN though. It is scary.A real epidemic.

sexychica25
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM
YES!!!!!!!
It started with my son, then dh, finally me a week before Christmas and it was horrible. Two sick parents with a six year old somewhat on his own is not the way to go.
zildjans_mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I work in a factory and 3 lines were closed the last 3 days I call it the plague lol, one of or high schools was closed a few days before Christmas break for sanitizing because of it, my dh had it but I don't yet, pretty sure I'm just a carrier and pass it off to ppl, I haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I'm in the Midwest
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)