Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you been affected by the flu outbreak?

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep reading headlines about the widespread flu outbreak through out the country, but I don't know a single person who has had it.  Perhaps it's worse in the Midwest and the east coast?  Was just wondering how many on this board have had the flu or have family members with the flu.  If so,  did it seem particularly bad?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
oddgirl
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Ugh - that's the worst!  My family had it like that back in 2010.  I had a 3 yr old and 9 yr old and my dh and I were all but incapacitated.  I hope I never have to go through that again!

Quoting sexychica25:

YES!!!!!!!
It started with my son, then dh, finally me a week before Christmas and it was horrible. Two sick parents with a six year old somewhat on his own is not the way to go.

oddgirl
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Wow, that's horrible.  Did you get a flu shot?

Quoting zildjans_mom:

I work in a factory and 3 lines were closed the last 3 days I call it the plague lol, one of or high schools was closed a few days before Christmas break for sanitizing because of it, my dh had it but I don't yet, pretty sure I'm just a carrier and pass it off to ppl, I haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I'm in the Midwest

zildjans_mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
My state had nearly 50,000 confirmed cases of whooping cough in 2012 holy crap!

Quoting daughteroftruth:

I jsut took my oldest to the doc today here in town.  My oldest and youngest have a stomach virus (fever, throwing up, ect).  I asked (as I always do), whats going around.  He said that we have a nasty upper respiratory infection (viral) going around, but no one has tested positive for the flu so far in our town.  In the next small town over, there have been two positive tests, and in the next town past that maybe half a dozen.  So its here in the valley, but not an epidemic yet.  

Guess there have been a few positive cases of whooping cough this winter as well, but nothing widespread. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

My 4 year old came down with the flu on New Years Day.  She is just now regaining strength.  She was very, very ill.  I am kicking myself for not getting the shot in time.  She ran a fever which spiked at 105 and was delirious.  She could not eat or get out of bed at all for 4 or 5 days.  When she did finally get out of bed she was shaky and threw up if she even mildly exerted herself.  I was ill myself, in bed for 1 day with a high temp, and a few more days of queasy tummy and low grade fever, but I am not sure if it was a mild case or unrelated.

This flu is nothing to fool with, I was very worried for a while with my poor sick girl.  My older girl and husband have avoided it, so far.  I hope they don't get it.

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I don't know. We were all sick with something the last week or so, I was the worst. It was definitely worse than a cold, I had a fever several days, my son had a mild fever too. But it wasn't as bad as the last flu I had a number of years ago. 

So a really bad cold or maybe the flu?

zildjans_mom
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM
No I didn't get one I never have. But in our paper last week it said that the flu shot is ineffective on this strain of flu :(

Quoting oddgirl:

Wow, that's horrible.  Did you get a flu shot?

Quoting zildjans_mom:

I work in a factory and 3 lines were closed the last 3 days I call it the plague lol, one of or high schools was closed a few days before Christmas break for sanitizing because of it, my dh had it but I don't yet, pretty sure I'm just a carrier and pass it off to ppl, I haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I'm in the Midwest

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM
The news said 18 just in Massachusetts have died now too and Boston has declared a state of emergency.

They're expecting the numbers to climb over the next few weeks :(

Quoting Euphoric:

A lot of people at work have been out with the flu. I'm not sure where it was, but I heard 18 children have died from the flu. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
So far so good here. Hopefully it stays that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM

That's just awful :(

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

The news said 18 just in Massachusetts have died now too and Boston has declared a state of emergency.

They're expecting the numbers to climb over the next few weeks :(

Quoting Euphoric:

A lot of people at work have been out with the flu. I'm not sure where it was, but I heard 18 children have died from the flu. :(

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
CheyennesMommy2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Im in Ohio, and until a couple weeks ago worked at a hospital lab...we had TONS of positive flus. The er and floors were packed.

Noone in my family has gotten it. We are staying home as much as possible, my girls are 3 1/2 yrs and a 20 months old, and im pregnant, 36weeks. I would just rather avoid it.

They say its going to peak in 3 weeks, which is fine because I typically keep my newborns home the first couple months. Im usually not scared of us getting the flu, but I guess this strain is some really bad mutated type :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured