Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should gun control be subject to Executive Orders instead of going through Congress?

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/biden-obama-might-use-executive-order-deal-guns_694984.html

"The president is going to act," said Biden, giving some comments to the press before a meeting with victims of gun violence. "There are executive orders, there's executive action that can be taken. We haven't decided what that is yet. But we're compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and the rest of the cabinet members as well as legislative action that we believe is required."

Biden said that this is a moral issue and that "it's critically important that we act."

Biden talked also about taking responsible action. "As the president said, if your actions result in only saving one life, they're worth taking. But I'm convinced we can affect the well-being of millions of Americans and take thousands of people out of harm's way if we act responsibly."

Biden, as he himself noted, helped write the Brady bill.

Eric Holder was scheduled to be at the meeting that's currently taking place at the White House. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Replies (231-234):
starri33
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been following a couple of topic posts on the "gun control" issue here on the Cafemom site, on times to numerous to count, I've read the title of "Gun Nut" being applied to anyone who owns a gun.  Can one of you who has used the term "gun nut" please explain to me what constitues a "gun nut"  if we're going to worry about anything it ought to be the people (not only in the USA) who have surface to air missile launcher's.  Flame throwers and various other things.  I watched a friend in TX use what amounted to a flame thrower (mind you she bought this at Ace Hardware) to burn off the sticker plants in her yard to keep her dogs from getting covered in stickers all the time. Can't begin to tell you the number of times I had to give my little shit-zu some ugly haircuts to get them out of her hair.  I took her to the groomers and had her shaved as close as you can get to bald, and still had to pull them out of her paws.

My sister in law in DHS, CA has a top of the line alarm system, 1: it didn't deter the burglars, 2: the cops didn't get there in time to stop them, the thieves sorted through stuff taking only what they wanted, not just what they could put their hands on. and 3: the cops expected my sister in law and brother in law to go around to the various pawn shops, etc and see if they found any of their belongings.  I will have to say, My SIL had every window and door in the house alarmed, with the exception of the one in the bathroom.  A very small window, in which they slid a "child" into.

Has anyone except me noticed that one of the advertisers here on Cafemom is the concealed carry magazine? advertisers are what helps keep sites like this up and running.  Thank you in advance for helping me understand what a "gun nut" is..

And yes, incase any one wants to know, I'm a "Gun Nut" big smile mini

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AA2.0:

True story. Because calling my gun a weapon (which it is a fucking weapon, what in the holy hell else am I supposed to call it that will sound "less violent" I wonder?!) means that I'm just stalking around looking for someone to kill. LOL

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The ONLY thing she knows is that we disagree with her and apparently that makes us evil demons. LOL!!

Quoting AA2.0:

*eyeroll*

Not all of us have the money for good security systems. And quite frankly, you don't know shit about me. I first-time thief would see the barrel of a shotgun and run before I shoot. Anyone who doesn't turn tail and run, will be held at gunpoint until police arrive or be shot. Period. I don't have to shoot to kill, either. Not to mention the fact that in the time it takes police to respond to your fancy security system, you and your family could be robbed or dead. Unless you also have a panic room in which you can lock yourself and your children to protect you from harm.

I don't live my life paranoid. I live my life prepared. I'm not about killing people for the hell of it, but break into my house and don't run from my shotgun and you won't be killed, but you sure as fuck will remember never to come back to my house again. And tell your buddies while you're at it.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting AA2.0:

Because my gun is for me to kill if necessary. It's for me to kill anyone who enters my home threatening m safety and that of my family. My SO works out of town a lot. My gun's sole purpose is for protection for myself and my DD.

Define an assault weapon. Automatic weapons are not legal to own privately. So semi-automatic? Are you aware of how many guns that encompasses? What makes ANY weapon an assault weapon is intent. My shotgun could be considered and assault weapon because I intend to use it as such if someone breaks into my home. So where is the line? It's a slippery slope, this "banning of assault/semi-automatic weapons" thing that so many or screaming for.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting AA2.0:

And did it do any good? That is the question. Did it make a damn bit of difference? I would think not considering there is no longer a ban on the sale and consumption of alcohol.

All taking our weapons would do is leave us wide open and unable to defend ourselves from the criminals who are going to get guns one way or the other regardless of the laws. Fuck that noise. I and my SO want to be able to protect our family. Period.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting Paperfishies:

Are you also in favor of a complete alcohol ban?

There was a complete alcohol ban   it was called prohibition.

Your question is moot. 

No one is talking about taking away your weapons (note how you say "weapons"  as if you're primed & ready to kill) I'm talking about controlling the type of gun that can be purchased so freely, with assault rifles being number one.  You don't need that kind of gun,  the idiot woman on here who said her husband needs an assault rifle to hunt, doesn't need that kind of gun. No one needs a gun that is capable of killing multiple people in a matter of minutes except the military. 

I/we, do not own a gun. My SO also works out of town a lot. We have a monitored alarm system that covers every access to our home. If anyone tries to get into our home, a siren will go off immediately & the police are alerted immediately via our monitoring system, and they respond immediately. Only once in 30 plus years have we had the police arrive in minutes and arrest a young man who was trying to break in. 

I believe in having security, but I do not believe in guns for security.  You live in constant paranoia, you only think of killing, which, you made quite clear in your response, and that's the problem with citizens being permitted to own guns. You are gun crazy. You'd kill anyone, it wouldn't matter if he or she was a first time thief not intent on harming anyone, you'd kill them anyway.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

AEN22
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Of course we don't need assault rifles to hunt but don't you see this is the first step in banning guns all together.That way we will have no way to defend ourselves when big brother decides he wants to come in and take away our hard earned property and belongings..that's what the "gun control" is leading to.Look it up "marshal law" will follow soon behind it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Classic movie. 

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting AA2.0:

True story. Because calling my gun a weapon (which it is a fucking weapon, what in the holy hell else am I supposed to call it that will sound "less violent" I wonder?!) means that I'm just stalking around looking for someone to kill. LOL

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The ONLY thing she knows is that we disagree with her and apparently that makes us evil demons. LOL!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN