Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Colo. bill seeks to let parents buy booze for kids

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM
  • 30 Replies

Colo. bill seeks to let parents buy booze for kids

DENVER Parents could be able buy alcohol for their children at Colorado bars and restaurants if they were 18 and older but not 21 yet, under a proposal by a Republican lawmaker.

Sen. Greg Brophy is introducing the bill for the legislative session that begins Wednesday. He says he thought of the proposal because he and his wife recently took their daughter to dinner to celebrate her 20th birthday, and she couldn't have a drink with them.

Brophy says he also wants parents of returning servicemen to be able to buy their children drinks at bars or restaurants.

He says the bill would allow parents to buy their adult children drinks in any place that allows on-premise alcohol consumption. Wisconsin has a similar law.

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 7:54 AM

When I was a teen it was lawful in my state (MA) for parents to buy their kids a drink while out at a restaurant or bar, I don't even think there was a minimum age for this.  I think that they've since repealed that.  As a parent, I offer my kids a small glass of wine on special occasions.  Sometimes they take it, sometimes they don't, but it's offered.  I don't see it as a problem, most parents are not going to be bringing their kids out to the bar and getting them drunk.  Most parents will be doing what this article says, buying them a wine or beer at dinner or a celebratory drink at a party.  The parents who will be getting their kids drunk at bars should be ashamed of themselves and maybe there can be something in the law stating they can only buy one drink for underage children.  I think this is a good way of introducing kids to alcohol in a safe way.  What better introduction than from a responsible parent?  This would give parents the opportunity to teach their children how to drink in moderation.  Making it 100% off limits hasn't stopped underaged people from getting alcohol, and making it taboo makes it more desirable and might contribute to them binge drinking when they are first able to actually buy it. 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:14 AM
5 moms liked this
I don't see anything wrong with this. Treating alcohol as some huge taboo just seems to make kids go crazy when they're out of sight. Modeling moderate social drinking and offering a 17 yo a beer with the family is fine with me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this

How stupid.

Either you can drink at 18 or you can't.

This law would actually discriminate against those kids and military who didn't have parents to buy them drinks, wouldn't it?

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Agree. I joined the Air Force when I was 18, and my folks would buy me a 6-pack of Ice House every time I came home on leave. It wasn't a big deal because we didn't treat it like one. They both felt that I was old enough and responsible enough to handle a couple of beers. I didn't drink and drive, and didn't get drunk and act a fool---I just had a couple beers while watching a ballgame with my dad, or while playing cards with my mom. *shrugs* 

Quoting krysstizzle:

I don't see anything wrong with this. Treating alcohol as some huge taboo just seems to make kids go crazy when they're out of sight. Modeling moderate social drinking and offering a 17 yo a beer with the family is fine with me.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Not every culture is as freakishly uptight about alcohol as ours. And guess what? Their societies haven't melted into chaos because they don't have strict laws on alcohol. A parent should be able to choose if their 18 year old can have a glass of wine with dinner or not.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I think it is a good start in the right direction. This way people who are legally adults but not yet old enough to purchase alcohol and drink on their own are allowed to drink in a supervised setting.

I have mixed feelings about allowing 18-year olds to buy unlimited alcohol and drink freely. We have enough problems with people over 21 acting like assholes with alcohol, and 18-year olds, in general, are nowhere near the maturity level of a 21-year old.

Quoting romalove:

How stupid.

This law would actually discriminate against those kids and military who didn't have parents to buy them drinks, wouldn't it?

"Roger that. Over."

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting radioheid:

I think it is a good start in the right direction. This way people who are legally adults but not yet old enough to purchase alcohol and drink on their own are allowed to drink in a supervised setting.

I have mixed feelings about allowing 18-year olds to buy unlimited alcohol and drink freely. We have enough problems with people over 21 acting like assholes with alcohol, and 18-year olds, in general, are nowhere near the maturity level of a 21-year old.

Quoting romalove:

How stupid.

I don't have mixed feelings about any of it.

I think we give kids mixed messages lol.

We tell them at 18 they can vote and go to war and get married and are considered to have reached their majority "but" they can't drink.

Now we want to tell them you can drink but only if mommy or daddy buys it for you.

I think it's wrong.

Either they can or they can't, should or shouldn't.  :-)

radioheid
by Libertarian on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I have the unpopular opinion that the age of majority should be raised to 21. Just as we allow people to work and drive at 16, I believe certain privileges should be afforded to 18-year olds, however, I don't believe they should be allowed to drink/smoke pot unsupervised (let's face it---in 20 years, recreational marijuana will be legal pretty much everywhere), marry, or vote until they are 21, and while I believe 18-year olds should be allowed to serve in the military, I don't believe they should be deployed or serve in combat at that age.

Like I said---unpopular opinion. lol

Quoting romalove:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting romalove:

How stupid.

We tell them at 18 they can vote and go to war and get married and are considered to have reached their majority "but" they can't drink.

Now we want to tell them you can drink but only if mommy or daddy buys it for you.

I think it's wrong.

"Roger that. Over."

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting radioheid:

I have the unpopular opinion that the age of majority should be raised to 21. Just as we allow people to work and drive at 16, I believe certain privileges should be afforded to 18-year olds, however, I don't believe they should be allowed to drink/smoke pot unsupervised (let's face it---in 20 years, recreational marijuana will be legal pretty much everywhere), marry, or vote until they are 21, and while I believe 18-year olds should be allowed to serve in the military, I don't believe they should be deployed or serve in combat at that age.

Like I said---unpopular opinion. lol

Quoting romalove:

Quoting radioheid:

Quoting romalove:

How stupid.

I think it's wrong.

I would sign on for that opinion before I would sign on for parental ability to buy drinks for kids when other kids wouldn't have the same right.

At least 21 is consistent.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Personally I prefer a complete reversal to age 18...either that or raise the age of majority...age to join the military...age to vote...ect.  It has always seemed ridiculous to me that you could carry a gun/go to war/die for your country.....or vote for who leads this country.....but you can't buy a wine cooler.

Beyond these thoughts...I have no problem with the law.  When I turned 18 my Mom gave me a surprise slumber party..invited 5 of my best friends from high school...and provided us with 2 bottles of champagne.  Their parents knew what was going on....we never left the house...we did have a blast...and felt so grown up!  I later attended 2 champagne sleepovers......we didn't destroy the world at those either!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured