Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Terrifying Flu Epidemic Causes Boston Mayor to Declare State of Emergency - Did you get the flu shot this year?

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 58 Replies

Terrifying Flu Epidemic Causes Boston Mayor to Declare State of Emergency

Posted by Sasha Brown-Worsham on January 10, 2013

Mayor Menino emergencyYou might want to stay inside after reading this. The 2012/2013 flu season is so bad that Mayor Thomas Menino in Boston has declared a state of emergency. Yes. A state of emergency. Over the flu. Pretty scary stuff.

In fact, this is the worst flu outbreak since 2009's H1N1 outbreak and it's not just in Boston. According to a Google Map, every state has high or "intense" flu activity except, oddly, for Connecticut. I guess they have Lyme disease to make up for it?

In Massachusetts alone, there have been 18 deaths related to this year's flu and there are 700 confirmed cases in Boston alone, which is 10 times higher than this time last year. It's pretty scary. No doubt about it. As a mom, I know I am suddenly worried that only one of my kids got the vaccine. Luckily, there is still time to get it.

Every time one of these epidemics starts, it's easy to panic. I know I am. Sometimes it feels like we're just kind of waiting on the next huge outbreak like the 1918 pandemic outbreak that killed 1 to 3 percent of the WORLD population. (OMG. Can you imagine?)

So, yeah. Panic seems about right.

The reality is, a flu pandemic happening again is really not a question of whether or not it will occur. It's more a question of when. It's a very real threat.

And the flu shot? Is only about 60 to 70 percent effective. So while getting it is always advised by doctors, it's probably not the solution we all want. So what is? Time. And staying indoors.

These kinds of stories always cause people to freak out and with good reason. It's scary. Personally, I know a lot of people who have had this flu (I just moved out of Boston two weeks ago), and it's as bad as they say. Luckily, they all survived, but one friend said he now understands why people die from it. It's no joke.

Stay safe, people. Get the shot if you need it and wash your hands.

Did you get the flu shot this year?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preemiemommy
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
No we did not. We do a lot of hand washing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not 100% convinced we should be doing vaccinations period...so we don't do the flu shot. 

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No. We eat healthy, wash hands, take Vit D3, and get sunshine.

I've not had the flu for 5 years. We did get that horrid stomach bug going around everywhere. That is not the flu, even though every person I know is calling it that.
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

We never get the flu shot.  We do a lot of vitamins and hand washing.   We almost never get the flu.

mommaoftwo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Hmm, I live in MA and I don't think I know anyone who has gotten the flu, wierd.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yes, all but my husband.  If we do end up with the flu, hopefully it won't be as severe as it would be if we hadn't gotten the flu shots.  We shall see....

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM
My kids got the flu shot, but my husband and I didn't. We have never had the flu before, so hopefully we stay healthy!
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't get the flu shot.  I think it is a crap shoot so I choose to not put the chemicals in my body.  We do a lot of handwashing.  Recently the stomach flu went through my kids school, they were having upwards of 30 kids a day leaving sick.  My kids didn't get sick so I figure we are doing something right.

frogbender
by Captain Underpants on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Yes. We all did. We have a very immune-compromised person in our house and we are doing our best to protect that person, which includes lots of hand-washing as well as the flu vaccination.

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No, we dont do flu shots anymore. No real reason, we just dont.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN